6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 17th, 2015, 08:38 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone have $60 grand to spare??

Awesome Story. Awesome Truck.
Miracles do happen! Thanks for sharing.
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:07 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

Steve,

According to my GMC service manual the battery information is as follows:

Standard part# 1980458 model 2SMR53 Catalog# 458 group 24
Optional part# 1980668 model 668 catalog# 668

I did Google the Delco 2SMR53 and got hits for battery information.

Summit racing in Sparks has the correct wet cell battery in stock. Has the Delco logos and correct yellow caps.

good luck,

gg

Last edited by jagarra; June 18th, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Truck: 1962 1000 series
Gasmannv is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jagarra,
I will be seeing the original owner tomorrow and find out about the "Tale of Two Trucks".
Or is it Cinderella's story. Why your Custom had to do the chores and the standard got to wear the glass slipper? Call me if your around if you would like to come examine Sleeping Beauty, I think her prince may be coming to take her to her new palace some where in the Mid West.
Best regards
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:59 PM

Truck: '62 2wd PU, '61 4wd PU, '61 SB panel
Rustbucket is on a distinguished road

The bidding ended right where it should have, at about $20K. That's about right for a super nice, but not 100% correct or original truck. IMO Steve's camper special that went for $10K was a much more interesting find, and more bang for the buck considering the factory options.
Old June 24th, 2015, 11:34 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

When I went and looked at the truck the other day, it sure looked original to me. What really struck me was how nice the engine compartment was, especially all the sheet metal. Very pristine, the paint was perfect . All the original factory scribbled numbers on the firewall and underside of the hood were there. One could tell that it hadn't been subjected to the heating and the cooling off of a used truck. The post that the hood latch engaged was unmarked, still had the original finish. All the doors latches were perfect, no drag marks. The fit and finish of the paint was perfect, saw 1 shallow scratch where something got dragged over the edge of the tailgate. Tires were original, no cracking as it was keep out of the sun. The only thing I saw that was unusual was the switch placement for the back up lights in the Barden bumper. It was put in the position where the cigar lighter would normally go.
I figure that was a dealer installed option, the bumper was made in Oregon, according to the tag.
Old June 25th, 2015, 12:12 AM

Truck: 1962 1000 series
Gasmannv is on a distinguished road

Dear Rustbucket,
Really? You base your valuation on an Ebay auction and on other trucks that have been driven, worn and used. I wasn't truly expecting to sell it on Ebay, I simply put it out there to garner interest (which it did!). It was also advertised on ClassicCars.com, Classic Auto Trader and Craigslist. As a hobbyist, and member of this group that looks at a lot of these trucks, I am surprised that you would claim that this truck is not 100% or correct. Even the wipers that were stored in the cab are original. With less than 2,000 miles on it, the initial valve adjustment hasn't even been performed. There are less than a handful of these kind of no/low mileage trucks in the nation. I have only seen a few that have been preserved at this level. Most of those have not been started or driven and they probably won't be. This truck has been painstakingly brought back to life and test driven. As I stated earlier, the only non OEM parts on this truck are the battery, fuel pump, carb gaskets, fuel lines and hydraulic cups in the brake and clutch cylinders with new brake fluid. Oh, and the Indian blanket that covered and preserved the perfect original upholstery was not installed at the dealer in 1962 either. The only other trucks that even come close to this condition have received complete frame off professional restorations. Even then, they have 30, 50, 100K plus miles and are certainly not original, let alone much more money is invested to bring them back to this kind of condition.

As I stated previously, I do have a photo appraisal from a Barrett Jackson appraiser for 40K. I have received multiple offers exceeding that amount. As stated before, in establishing the ask price, I expected to net $50k after auction fees at the Barrett Jackson auction in Reno this August. As you may have noted, I have pulled all of the ads from the market. So that you know, I have accepted an offer and the truck has sold for $50K from a serious collector that understands and appreciates the value of this unadulterated time capsule.

Best of luck to you!

GasManNV.

Last edited by Gasmannv; June 25th, 2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary verbiage
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
I learned that I'm missing a sticker on the valve covers (lash settings). Got to fine one now. The quest begins!
Jake, I need to get a set of these for my 305A also and I have a company here in Alabama who I got to reproduce the oil bath air cleaner and screw on gas filter decals that can also reproduce these valve lash decals but I need someone to send me a nice valve cover that has a clean undamaged label still on it so they can scan it in to their computer - if you or any other member can produce one to use as a sample, I can get everyone who needs them a set made. Let me know - Steve

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:23 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Wow did I miss out on alot or what. lol Cool story! I agree with FetchMeAPepsi....if someone throws a 350 in it I'll be grabbing my pitch fork to!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:05 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasmannv View Post
Dear Rustbucket,
Really? You base your valuation on an Ebay auction and on other trucks that have been driven, worn and used. I wasn't truly expecting to sell it on Ebay, I simply put it out there to garner interest (which it did!). It was also advertised on ClassicCars.com, Classic Auto Trader and Craigslist. As a hobbyist, and member of this group that looks at a lot of these trucks, I am surprised that you would claim that this truck is not 100% or correct. Even the wipers that were stored in the cab are original. With less than 2,000 miles on it, the initial valve adjustment hasn't even been performed. There are less than a handful of these kind of no/low mileage trucks in the nation. I have only seen a few that have been preserved at this level. Most of those have not been started or driven and they probably won't be. This truck has been painstakingly brought back to life and test driven. As I stated earlier, the only non OEM parts on this truck are the battery, fuel pump, carb gaskets, fuel lines and hydraulic cups in the brake and clutch cylinders with new brake fluid. Oh, and the Indian blanket that covered and preserved the perfect original upholstery was not installed at the dealer in 1962 either. The only other trucks that even come close to this condition have received complete frame off professional restorations. Even then, they have 30, 50, 100K plus miles and are certainly not original, let alone much more money is invested to bring them back to this kind of condition.

As I stated previously, I do have a photo appraisal from a Barrett Jackson appraiser for 40K. I have received multiple offers exceeding that amount. As stated before, in establishing the ask price, I expected to net $50k after auction fees at the Barrett Jackson auction in Reno this August. As you may have noted, I have pulled all of the ads from the market. So that you know, I have accepted an offer and the truck has sold for $50K from a serious collector that understands and appreciates the value of this unadulterated time capsule.

Best of luck to you!

GasManNV.

Wow...my hat is off to you for getting 50K Gasman. The rarest, most expensive and most highly sought after GMC trucks ever made are the 1955-1958 GMC Suburban Pickups (like a Chevy Cameo) and even one of these barely breaches what you got for this base model truck....that is amazing. But, in defense of the collector who wanted it, I must admit your truck was in very rare form with the shiny original paint, original bed wood and low mileage so that clearly drove his decision. 50K has got to be the highest price anyone has ever paid for any 60's vintage GMC so you did well my friend - congratulations!

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road

Phenomenal truck, and a great story to go with it. This certainly isn't an everyday occurrence.

Congratulations on the sale.

I genuinely hope the individual who receives the truck will keep her in proper care; can't see paying $50K and ruining a beauty like this.