6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 8th, 2016, 09:58 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Driveshaft spline help please

Received my truck with loose parts, including drive shafts. Competed the Ujoints. All the while noticing a blue coating on the slip end of front drive shaft (4WD). I thought at first it was a cool slip surface put on for performance. I now think it's a protective coating put on after some sort of work was done on spline or other. Should I meld this off? It really is on tight like it was dipped. Tried to cut/scrape. What is it and what do I do. The yoke "goes on" but really tight, like pound on tight. Thanks. Pic enclosed. What bothers me about if it's temporary protective or to be used is that the splines have been slid into something when coating was wet because they are perfect and you can see the blue on the shaft is wiped by mating spline? Is this a way of rejuvenating a worn spline? The front drive shaft would seem to be the last place to be worn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01341.JPG (2.12 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)

Last edited by AZKen; December 8th, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old December 9th, 2016, 01:42 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Driveshaft spline help please

Bump
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The blue glide coat is very necessary on a street driven vehicle. It takes up a few thous. on slip to insure the slip and stub have proper engagement. Without it the tolerances are to loose and will cause a vibration.
Quoted from another forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:08 AM

I appreciate the info FMAP. It's only on the shaft that will only turn in 4X4 and not fast...and it's too darn tight it seems?? I found that quote you gave.
I just read some stuff, maybe I am not past the seal with the splines and that's why it seems tight. Will try tomorrow. I think it's a shaft that was worked or rebuilt. The blue coating is mentioned on the web as "normal".

Last edited by AZKen; December 9th, 2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:25 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
I appreciate the info FMAP. It's only on the shaft that will only turn in 4X4 and not fast...and it's too darn tight it seems?? I found that quote you gave.
I just read some stuff, maybe I am not past the seal with the splines and that's why it seems tight. Will try tomorrow. I think it's a shaft that was worked or rebuilt. The blue coating is mentioned on the web as "normal".
Maybe take a dremel to it? If it's that tight it might have been added unnecessarily (Pound in tight).

I haven't done a ton of spline work, but anything I've taken apart (ok, so two things so far) has been easy peasy slip in and slip out.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough

I was unaware that this is use to reduce wear on the splines.
I had found an article that talks about driveline overhaul.
In this article they mention blue glide coating.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...line-overhaul/
Old December 10th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Yes, I determined that is was a glide coat and fit should be kind of tight. It's all together now. "Spicer coating" as some call it. Thank you guys for responding and pointing me to web confirmation. I appreciate it.

Last edited by AZKen; December 10th, 2016 at 05:14 PM.