6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:05 PM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road
Default oil pans and pumps....

...I am once again seeking the sage advice of the GMC truck elders....in the past before I bought my truck, some nit-wit pushed in my oil pan...my questions are:
1) must I raise the motor off its mounts to remove the oil pan as my brother in-law tells me must be done for Chevys???
2) does anyone know a source for oil pans and pumps for the old sixer in case I can't un-mash mine.???..I have no reason to believe the pump is bad but just in case...I am quite sure I am getting restricted oil flow...

thanks in advance for your input...I am rabid for the consecutive projects on my jimmy...when I notice something needs to be fixed I get fixed on it...just got my front springs in today...oil pan is on my mind now since I'll be under there again soon anyway.

AFG
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: oil pans and pumps....

Being 4wd mine drops out easy, but I have heard others say they had to raise the motor on 2wd models due to the crossmember being in the way.

The good news is the oil pan is very easy to mash dents out of. You should be able to get it back in shape unless it's sharp dents that stretched the metal too much. Just go slow and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM

thanks Pepsi...would you drink a Coke if I brought it to you?
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfgarner View Post
thanks Pepsi...would you drink a Coke if I brought it to you?
I only drink the diet stuff so the wife sticks around for reasons other than my gravity.

So yeah, there's a big difference in diet coke and diet pepsi I haven't had diet coke in like....20 years? If a place doesn't carry pepsi I get diet dr pepper.

do you have a build thread? I know youve been working on your truck a while now. You might just snap some pics and let us see whats goin on. I know for me stuck inside in the cold its good to see someone else that can get out and do stuff

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:11 AM

I don't have the space to do a frame off...and I also use the truck regularly and no longer have another...so I have to do my build one repair/upgrade at a time...so far I've added wheels, carburetor, HEI, re-cored the original radiator, spruced up the interior, replaced window seals, brake over-haul, fixed and flushed my heater core/vent system, fixed lots of little deficiencies, changed all the fluids, engine bay painting etc.

On the list are replacing the springs (front now - rear later), dual exhaust, windshield, gas tanks, tires, bed and body work...the pics I have posted show it as it is now after say 5 months of elbow grease....I will add some more after completing each future project....
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfgarner View Post
the pics I have posted show it as it is now after say 5 months of elbow grease....I will add some more after completing each future project....

Where are your pics?

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:56 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with the oil pan. It musta landed on top of a fire hydrandt at one time or another. The intake screen and pipe of the oil pump sit pretty close to the bottom of the pan and I figured it was a good idea to pull that pan and fix things, plus I wanted to look in the bottom of that pan and see what the story was. If you are talking about the 2WD, 305 V-6, I had to do the following in order to get that pan to slide out of there.

Remove the oil filter cannister, exhaust "Y" pipe, bottom flywheel cover, and then loosen the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Jack up the motor about two inches and the pan should have enough clearance to slide down and out the back. I was able to find a decent oil pan by advertising here on this site plus checking Craigs List. It was also a good time to pull the oil pump, clean and inspect it. It was pretty good except for the circular wear grooves on the bottom plate. I resurfaced that plate to get rid of those wear grooves.
Old January 25th, 2014, 04:37 PM

...Thanks Foley...I am down with the flu now, but will get to this ASAP...pics are under "albums" - 63 Jimmy
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Adam,
When I got my 351 it had a crushed pan also.
After removing the pan and reshaping it, I suspected I might have a couple weak spots where I worked out a couple crinkles.
I got out the brazing rod and flowed a couple rods worth of brass across the suspect areas. That took care of my "cracked pan" paranoia and also added some rigidity to the sump area.