6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Truck: 1966 3/4 ton longbed
AndrewJoey is on a distinguished road
Default 351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue?

Ok, I put in a new coil, Pertronix2 ignition, set the timing. Runs great idles good, only a couple small backfires when I drove it, probably my fault, getting used to driving it

The problem is I have to hit it with starting fluid in the morning to get it started. Just a little spray and it starts right up and is good all day from then on.
Not real worried, but shouldn't it start w/o it?

I adjusted the idle so it wouldn't keep chugging after the ignition is turned off.
Any ideas on the cold start?
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:07 AM

Truck: 1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed
GMC Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue?

Check the accelerator pump at cold start and make sure it sprays some fuel before initial startup when pumping the pedal. Fuel bowl may be leaking down overnight too. You may need a mild carb rebuild to address these items.
1960 GMC 1000 Fenderside Long Bed 2WD 305A 3-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Guy View Post
Check the accelerator pump at cold start and make sure it sprays some fuel before initial startup when pumping the pedal. Fuel bowl may be leaking down overnight too. You may need a mild carb rebuild to address these items.
Thanks for the advice. Can you run me through the steps on how to do that? I already rebuilt it, do I need to just remove the top of the carb, or the whole thing?
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Well, I was out dinking around with the truck and I think I may have found the issue
(I hope). In the mornings when I go to start it, I normally give it 2-5 quick pumps. I've been thinking that the accelerator pump would prime the carb, but I noticed tonight when I was pushing on it with my hand that it took a couple seconds for the pump to raise. So I wasn't allowing the pump to do it's job. Gonna hold the pedal in longer before releasing it.

I'll let you know if that's all it was tomorrow...
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJoey View Post
Ok, I put in a new coil, Pertronix2 ignition, set the timing. Runs great idles good, only a couple small backfires when I drove it, probably my fault, getting used to driving it

The problem is I have to hit it with starting fluid in the morning to get it started. Just a little spray and it starts right up and is good all day from then on.
Not real worried, but shouldn't it start w/o it?

I adjusted the idle so it wouldn't keep chugging after the ignition is turned off.
Any ideas on the cold start?
I need to adjust the idle on my 305E but unlike Chevy's 2BBL Rochester carbs, this original GMC 2BBL Stromberg carb does not seem to have an idle screw that I can see on the side linkage attached to the gas pedal - so where on yours did you find an adjustment screw?

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
I need to adjust the idle on my 305E but unlike Chevy's 2BBL Rochester carbs, this original GMC 2BBL Stromberg carb does not seem to have an idle screw that I can see on the side linkage attached to the gas pedal - so where on yours did you find an adjustment screw?
The idle adjustment screws on the Strombergs are right in the front, one by each jet near the bottom where it bolts to the heat riser. There's pics of it in my build thread here. The screws are highlighted in blue about midway down.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
The idle adjustment screws on the Strombergs are right in the front, one by each jet near the bottom where it bolts to the heat riser. There's pics of it in my build thread here. The screws are highlighted in blue about midway down.
Those are the idle mixture screws. Some(most) carbs have an idle speed adjustment that is easily accessible, usually in the vicinity of the carb linkage. I suspect that is what he is looking for.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyduncan View Post
Those are the idle mixture screws. Some(most) carbs have an idle speed adjustment that is easily accessible, usually in the vicinity of the carb linkage. I suspect that is what he is looking for.
There's a screw that bottoms out against a plate in the throttle linkage too if that's the case. It faces the front of the vehicle and is located on the driver's side a little over midway up the carb.

Here's a pic of it where it says "grab your wrench looking piece"

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's a screw that bottoms out against a plate in the throttle linkage too if that's the case. It faces the front of the vehicle and is located on the driver's side a little over midway up the carb.

I'll bet that's it! I just remembered I have a stock carb at home. I've never messed with this type. Even though I don't plan on using it maybe I will take it apart just to learn something about them.
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys, I'll play with the idle mixture tomorrow. I took the carb apart again and messed with the timing-still the same. It runs ok, but I know if I knew what the **** I was doing, it would be better. All a learning process I guess.