6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old June 1st, 2013, 02:29 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad

OK I just swapped the Steering Wheel in my Rescue Squad from the stock 19" to a Stock 1962 17" from a pickup.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

There are a few differances, but that can be swapped over. the 65 wheel is on the left and the 62 on the right.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Its mostly the back side of the wheel, but I could swap the parts between the two.

This is what the Steering Column parts look like in the 1964-1966 3500 model trucks looks like

Still the 17" is too big so I guess I'll try to find a smaller aftermarket wheel, in Utah you can go as small a 12", and on a big truck that could be a problem, but I have the Power Steering on the Rescue Squad so it should be fine. The problem I have is my oversize gut is up against the wheel all the time, with the 17" wheel I only got 1" more room.

Just so every one know that cool sterring wheel puller I used is a Snap-On Tools Steering Wheel Puller set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:33 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Just so every one know that cool sterring wheel puller I used is a Snap-On Tools Steering Wheel Puller set.
YOu read my mind! I was thinkin what the heck is that thing the socket is on right there in the other pic. Now i know!

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:02 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

So yesterday I drove the Rescue Squad to the Car Show in Malad Idaho, about 45 miles away. here we are ready to head out in the morning.

by the time we got the the truck was having a few problems, but the filter didn't look too bad, so I was thinking maybe Vapor Lock as the fuel line was sitting against the block. a stroll through the drug store netted me some wooden close pins. I put some on the fuel line hoping that mite fix the problem.

So after the show we head back for home, it don't take vary long to find that the problem is still there, so we pull to the side fo the road for some repairs.

So I figure on changing out the fuel filter again, it was only replaced the week before and had about 60 miles on it now.

But then I remember seeing this small housing the other day, so I checked it out while we were stopped anyway.

I removed it from the carb and tryed blowing through it, and I could tell this little filter was plugged too. So I removed it, didn't have one to replace it with, so I put it back with out a filter. I then installed a new inline filter while I was at it.

fuel enters that little filter through the hole you can see near the top of the photo. anyway after this I drove the truck the rest of the way home, and to the neet in Brigham and back, it never missed a beat. also once this little fitler was removed I could get the truck over 60 mph!!!!

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:09 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

So other then the road side repairs,

I took photos at the Idaho/Utah state line on the way home.

You mite have noticed I kept saying "we" or something like that above, My friend Brad from Brigham City & I drove up together to the show, he was driving his 1950 Chevy 1 ton. Its good to use the buddy system when driving to distant shows, just in case eh.

also while on my own to head into Brigham for the evening meet, I stopped by Wilde's Big Whit barn for some photos.

This is a cool old barn, the big barn in the back has a full basement, and you get to it from the smaller barn in the front. also the people that built this barn use to live in the top of the smaller barn while the built the house. Wilds bought the farm back in 1963 for the sum of $50,000.

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.

Last edited by 6066gmcguy; June 3rd, 2013 at 04:11 AM. Reason: added photo
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

This is a cool old barn, the big barn in the back has a full basement, and you get to it from the smaller barn in the front. also the people that built this barn use to live in the top of the smaller barn while the built the house. Wilds bought the farm back in 1963 for the sum of $50,000.[/QUOTE

Wow! I'd like to build only the barn for that price today, huh?

Looks like you had a good time, in spite of the little hiccups. However on the up side, it's good to find those little gremlins when it keeps running better each time they stick their heads up and can eliminate them. Won't be long 'til we see pics of it running on the drag strips/w all lights flashing.

Keep those great pics coming, makes us want to visit that country sometime to play tourist.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; June 3rd, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:50 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

It just feels like I sould be posting another photo or two.....

Just cut the grass and had to move the Rescue Squad so I could cut the weeds under it.

Rescue Squad & Old Cat Grader at the Honeyville Show.

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Had my truck in the shop today fixin the Fuel line, I sprang a leak while at the Tremonton Show, the old hose was just getting to brittle.

I also took the generator off the truck fuel tank, as those lines are really messed up too. I'll add a tank to it later.

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

than on the way home we stoped at a place to two for photos.

Intermountain Mini Trucks / Vesco

Brigham Implement

Available Sign out near the Airport.

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

So its looking like the Rescue Squad will be staying around a while longer, and I took it to the peach 2013 Days Car show, The best part of the Peach Days Car Show....I WON!!!!! Commercial Class.

I'll be working on the photos and get them post most like in the next few days under the Car Show tread I Started..

on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road

Nice!

Maybe that 1st place is a good sign that things are maybe on the way out and up from the murky waters.
If the sayin' is true that "it's always darkest before dawn", let's hope it's starting to turn pink in the east, and full sunshine soon.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.