6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old May 12th, 2017, 07:33 PM

Truck: 1966 1002
gmccollector is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radiator overflow tank?

The books are not wrong Steve , something you missed in what I was telling you , the Data books are only PART of the story. They do not list every option or combination. They list a base-line , Theres more books needed that complete the story. My March 1st 1964 or 3/1/64 data book did not get the revisions that were available to the dealers and checking the dates of my truck engine, it was built = assembled 3/24/64. My 66 Data bookS , three , are all slightly different with updates. Back to what you said is not in the books , every part of my 64 327 AC C30 is in the GM parts book , every factory piece right down to the last clip washer, original belt numbers carb , you name it. GMC did the same. Data books are not always updated by the dealer but the parts book has every single piece. I found you that 55-58 GMC Suburban gate emblem part number you didn't think existed also. Experience is great Steve , we are all anxious for facts though , something positive to back up a claim.

Last edited by gmccollector; May 13th, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I said, if Factory, they would be mounted same, same bracket, same hose, etc. If you found several that were exactly the same, then I would agree it points to what you believe. I don't doubt you at all. It may be trivial but it's what truck guys/semi-purest like us all, like to debate. Like to study, like to give opinions. It's a forum for that. I also mentioned Logo's. Many tanks from the 50's have a winged logo on it that says "Chevrolet". The photo that Jake was sent and posted, seems to have something above the text, could it be a Chevy Winged Logo? The other picture has the exact same wording as the Chevy unit but has no Logo. I did find an NOS one in a box with a Chevrolet part no. of 985528. No Winged Logo. The box says "Chevrolet Accessories". That means not Factory. The Jake picture also shows a modified strap. These were made to mount on a flat firewall and would have to have bracketry to mount on an angled surface. Don't see that. In my previous profession I was trained to double and triple check before making something cast in stone, or in our case, building an accurate database of 6066 info. Test theories, find documentation. It is not easy to be absolutely sure about this issue. Maybe other info will come in to firm it up. I was giving another possibility of why they were on some trucks. I don't have any proof as you already said. I did check the GM Heritage Center (Vehicle Information Kits, no GMC) and as far as I can see, factory coolant recovery systems not mentioned in their kit info for Chevy Trucks until about 1973, for whatever that is worth. Maybe someone has Chevy info.

Last edited by AZKen; May 13th, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:23 PM

Ken , am I reading that Chevrolet Accessories are NOT factory ? in this comment "I did find an NOS one in a box with a Chevrolet part no. of 985528. No Winged Logo. The box says "Chevrolet Accessories". That means not Factory.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:34 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Accessories are sold usually by dealers. Options are factory. If that is what you are asking. I was merely saying that the box says it's an accessory item. It's not a factory item in that case.
This same discussion was started on 67-72 ChevyTrucks site by Jake on 8MAY17. Other members of 6066 are also responding. Some have Chevy Data from 66-66. No recovery tank options or accessories. Others say no factory tanks on 60-66 trucks. The advice there is no factory recovery. The picture Jake posted that he got from a 6066 member is also on there from a guy who saved it from years ago. He is ClassicV6GMC's from Overland Park, KS. I really don't think these are true factory installed. I would have to see one or two in person and examine the mounting and see if it was bent, modified or monkeyed around with. Probably never get the chance to do that. The picture does show the strap kind of designed for the inner fender but I can't see if it was modified and can't see where else its mounted. Can't be just one tie point. I do see evidence it was modified. I see a bolt towards the rear of bracket that looks like the original foot was bent, bolted to the other foot and an extension strap to inner fender was added. A conspiracy theory for sure. If it was made for 64-65 it would not be designed like that. The person adding the tank would have to change or modify the radiator cap for it to work. That modification is described in the 50's Chevrolet literature for the recovery tank accessory.

Last edited by AZKen; May 12th, 2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:18 PM

Okay , I read that as they were not part of Chevrolet or GMC at all , meaning not GM , my mistake Ken . Accessories are stated as factory original very often , some not put on at the assembly line but Many accessories WERE put on , on the assembly line but could also be bought separately. A great example of that are west coast mirrors. Plenty of pictures of those trucks coming down the assembly line with those mirrors plus they were sold as accessories for dealers to install. Its all in how you ORDERED the truck VS purchased off the lot. What Im going to call "factory AIR" or indash air was another thing sold separately and factory ordered. To find out exactly what was and what wasn't you need to look at dealer order forms , data books etc. As for these catch cans for the radiator , we did find a GM part number for a "radiator surge tank" but the application is C40 and up , diesel , V6 etc . No pictures have been found of those but its possible these were fitted to AC trucks.

As to the other 67-72 forum on Jakes post, Ive been posting on that one also as user ID 60-66.
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:38 PM

Understood. All this is kind of funny when you visualize that advertisement showing the water blowing out the motor. Stating all the specially designed water jackets, water pump and flow volume. The recovery tank lends no performance or cooling to the motor. It is truly an accessory like a Kleenex box holder. It is valuable regarding antifreeze. Don't want that spilling out.
Went thru the entire 1966 Chevrolet truck documentation at GM Heritage Site. Lists all std., optional, RPO and dealer installed items. No recovery tanks. GMC is very hard to pin down as to that info.

Last edited by AZKen; May 13th, 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:09 AM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I removed the post to make everyone happy. I'm sorry I started this topic. I really am......
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:20 AM

I suggest everyone else omit any mention of it. I did. Thanks Jake. Your restoration is top notch.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Ken / Jon - the GMC factory installed radiator overflow tanks on AC trucks have a special bracket made to fit a very specific spot on the right inner fender behind the battery - in 100% of the cases I have observed including all THREE tanks I pulled and saved here, they were mounted in exactly the same spot. I know you guys don't like to believe the books are ever wrong but they are sometimes wrong I hate to tell you. Jon's 1964 Chevrolet Data book does not show a 327 V8 option for 64 1 ton C30 trucks, but somehow magically he now has one with that very motor and with assembly line installed AC no less - something else hundreds of book believers didn't think could happen. Jon's C30 has all the ppwk showing the 327 and shows assembly-line AC both being ordered for it - so look guys - we can beat a dead horse a thousand times over trivial stuff, but I am telling you from EXPERIENCE - these 65-66 GMC AC trucks have Radiator overflow tanks on them that have been there from day 1 regardless of what the books all say or what the books omitted. The only book any of you can count on is the Bible - other than that, they are often as flawed as those who wrote them.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
. I know you guys don't like to believe the books are ever wrong but they are sometimes wrong I hate to tell you. Jon's 1964 Chevrolet Data book does not show a 327 V8 option for 64 1 ton C30 trucks, but somehow magically he now has one with that very motor and with assembly line installed AC no less - something else hundreds of book believers didn't think could happen. Jon's C30 has all the ppwk showing the 327 and shows assembly-line AC both being ordered for it - so look guys - we can beat a dead horse a thousand times over trivial stuff, but I am telling you from EXPERIENCE -.
Hate to burst your bubble Steve on not believing books , or that GM books are wrong and didn't record everything, well I found the engine suffix code on my 64 327 C30 ,Steve, UC , in another source from a friend who has all the Flint engine records. You can see that info on the other forum. Been thinking about where we might find these cans , anybody here have GMC service bulletins ? Might be a good place to look .