6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:35 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road
Default Man Trans stuck in gear

Thanks for the help.

I have a 63 3/4 ton, with the four speed with 1st being the low range (I think is how it is). Anyway the truck ran great and shifted great for me but while at the body shop I guess one of the kids got to messing with it and somehow got it jammed in what I think is second gear if you count them as all four gears. First gear if you call low and then three forward gears.

So what is the best way to get this thing un-jammed?

Any secret magic, rocking the truck in gear free anything up? I am pretty certain the drive-train has never been apart and I don't think there are a lot of miles on the truck. How they got it jammed up is beyond me.

Thanks again.

Jay
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:18 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man Trans stuck in gear

Have you started it in gear and driven around a little ?
Old November 30th, 2016, 02:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Cecilia does this from time to time if her linkage is out of alignment.

Pop the hood. On the steering column you'll see where the transmission gear rods connect. It kinda looks like two double-sided hammers. One side will be down, the other side will be centered. Put on a pair of gloves, it can pinch.

Then just pull up on the thing that is down. You might have to rock the truck a little to get it to move if the gear is under pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:52 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Don't think he has linkage. SM420. Lineman, you have a Hydraulic clutch I believe. Clutch fork on passenger side. You must see if this is operating. Quick check: does truck roll with clutch pedal down? No? it's your clutch system. Yes? it's the tranny. (probably)...Anyway, don't know your expertise so will stop there until you advise you need explanation. You forgot to say it's 4X4. Is it factory 4X4 or something else?
Is there normal resistance against clutch pedal when you push it down? No resistance? Real stiff? I wouldn't do that start thing just yet.

Last edited by AZKen; November 30th, 2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Sorry for the lack of info, it's a 2WD top loader. Hyd clutch, I drove the truck around a fair amount and the thing shifted great. Left it at the body shop and I imagine one of the kids got to messing around moving it and got it jammed up somehow. I moved it since its been stuck and the clutch seemed to work fine, didn't drag at all. Is why I wasn't thinking about the clutch I guess. Was thinking rocking while in gear with someone holding pressure on the shifter might free it up?? Maybe, Maybe not? Or just pulling the collar and he shifer out will that be enough to free up that shifter fork? Or do I have to pull the top off of the trans?

How ugly might this get?

Thanks again
Old December 1st, 2016, 04:45 AM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

If I understand, you moved the truck with the clutch disengaged? Didn't notice any problem with pedal feel?

Not ugly, piece of cake. Can't imagine they busted something. Hope not. If so they owe you repair. Got to be operating like when you took it in.
You can twist off the shifter bayonet retaining cap CCW, Push down hard when twisting, take out shifter, see down in hole and using a tool see if you can slide the sliders a little. Align all the slots in the sliders up with each other for neutral (Rubick's Cube). Notice how the nose of the shifter lever fits into the slots. The nose moves each of the three sliders during shifting. Put all slots lined up in center of peep hole while clutch pedal down. Let up on clutch pedal all the way carefully, see if truck rolls. If it rolls, install shifter. If it does not, change location of the sliders a little but keep them lined up. If a slider won't move, move another slider while trying to move it. If slider still won't move, report back. If you are in 2nd, the center slider slot should be up towards motor. I think that is what you will see. Pull it back into center position with the other two.

Last edited by AZKen; December 1st, 2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
If I understand, you moved the truck with the clutch disengaged? Didn't notice any problem with pedal feel?

Not ugly, piece of cake. Can't imagine they busted something. Hope not. If so they owe you repair. Got to be operating like when you took it in.
You can twist off the shifter bayonet retaining cap CCW, Push down hard when twisting, take out shifter, see down in hole and using a tool see if you can slide the sliders a little. Align all the slots in the sliders up with each other for neutral (Rubick's Cube). Notice how the nose of the shifter lever fits into the slots. The nose moves each of the three sliders during shifting. Put all slots lined up in center of peep hole while clutch pedal down. Let up on clutch pedal all the way carefully, see if truck rolls. If it rolls, install shifter. If it does not, change location of the sliders a little but keep them lined up. If a slider won't move, move another slider while trying to move it. If slider still won't move, report back. If you are in 2nd, the center slider slot should be up towards motor. I think that is what you will see. Pull it back into center position with the other two.
Thanks for the help. I was at the shop last night fooling with the truck. I didn't have the motor running but the clutch seems fine the best I can tell. I had somebody rock the truck and I did everything I thought I could do while they were rocking the truck while I was pushing around on the shifter hoping the stars would line up at the right time and un-do whatever they did. I have been lucky with bigger trucks stuck in a bind before.

So I hear your instructions and I am sure it will make since once I get the shifter out. I am pretty sure its stuck in second gear if you call it a four speed. First gear if you call it a three speed with low range.

I will print your instructions out and try to get all that stuff lined up and see what I get and get back with you.

Also I was looking for a shifter boot and somebody said it was just a foam piece on top of the transmission, I think that has deteriorated and wasn't there something on top of that also? While I have it apart what should I be doing with that to make it nice?

Thanks again. Jay
Old December 1st, 2016, 04:46 PM

This goes under the trans floor cover. It's been said that this is possibly "too short", that may mean too thin. You may need two or make one from proper foam. Buy two, they're cheap. Sits on top of trans and compressed by cover to seal. Boot adds more seal and trimmed look.
http://www.classicparts.com/1941-87-.../#.WEBThOnrs5s

Boot. Many types available. It's been said that no boot was used. I use boots and many Chevy and GMC guys do also. This one fits perfectly over the SM420 shifter boss and looks nice. The rubber is probably old Chinese shoe soles and does not last a long time.
http://www.classicparts.com/1941-66-.../#.WEBTy-nrs5s

I see you asked the same question another post RE: Boot and sponge. Now you have the Full Monty.

The above listed company has a good return policy, I.E. "for any reason". If it does not fit or perform properly you are protected.

Last edited by AZKen; December 1st, 2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
This goes under the trans floor cover. It's been said that this is possibly "too short", that may mean too thin. You may need two or make one from proper foam. Buy two, they're cheap. Sits on top of trans and compressed by cover to seal. Boot adds more seal and trimmed look.
http://www.classicparts.com/1941-87-.../#.WEBThOnrs5s

Boot. Many types available. It's been said that no boot was used. I use boots and many Chevy and GMC guys do also. This one fits perfectly over the SM420 shifter boss and looks nice. The rubber is probably old Chinese shoe soles and does not last a long time.
http://www.classicparts.com/1941-66-.../#.WEBTy-nrs5s

I see you asked the same question another post RE: Boot and sponge. Now you have the Full Monty.

The above listed company has a good return policy, I.E. "for any reason". If it does not fit or perform properly you are protected.
Thanks again. Speaking of that other post, did you see the doughnut looking thing "gmcollector" came up with? Looks like he has the original part? I googled the part number the best I came up with and couldn't find anything on that so I guess these repro parts will have to do. Better than what I have now and the referral means a lot. I am good with that, you guys have these trucks and engines figured out.

As much as working on them is finding all the parts and the best parts etc... Thanks for the help. I need a personal shopper for this truck.

I have to say on top of this truck and get it out of this body shop, time is money there now that they are finally working on it.
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:43 PM

I don't think you will find one like gmccollector has but you can't see it anyway so you are just sealing in a place where no man goes.

We are good about finding parts on here. This is the place to post and find out what and where to buy. Sometimes it may depend on budget and how much of a GMC purist you are. I like finding parts so ask away anytime.