6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old February 1st, 2015, 07:21 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to change a water heater BY YOURSELF (for dummies?) with pictures

Quote:
Until recently I had never had a water heater problem. I always assumed that if an electric water stopped heating your water you had to replace the whole thing. But then I educated myself recently when I had to deal with a bad water heater. While looking around at Home Depot at new water heaters, I noticed that they sold kits with new thermostats and heating elements for about $35. I figured if installing those gets me hot water again, that's way faster, easier, and cheaper than replacing the whole thing. So I bought the kit, turned off the breaker, drained the tank, replaced the upper and lower heating elements and thermostats, refilled the tank, turned the breaker back on, and it worked! Nice hot water!

Maybe I'm the only one here who didn't know you could do this. On the other hand, maybe my experience will help someone else avoid having to wrestle with heavy tanks or paying for a plumber to do it for you.
Hi Ed, hope all is well! My situation was similar to Fetch's and Jolly's. Tank sprung a major leak. Heating elements ain't gonna fix that!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:39 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to change a water heater BY YOURSELF (for dummies?) with pictures

I wasn't thrilled to do this project, but I'm glad I did when I did. Blessings in disguise and all that I guess. I just heard that water heaters are going up around 40% in cost due to new regulations coming out in April. They'll still sell out of existing inventory then after that you'll pay alot more for a heater. Something to think about if yours is getting older. Thanks for reading guys.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

- Hey Foley, if you're still around pop in and say hi from time to time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:35 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wasn't thrilled to do this project, but I'm glad I did when I did. Blessings in disguise and all that I guess. I just heard that water heaters are going up around 40% in cost due to new regulations coming out in April. They'll still sell out of existing inventory then after that you'll pay alot more for a heater. Something to think about if yours is getting older. Thanks for reading guys.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

- Hey Foley, if you're still around pop in and say hi from time to time!
Gee imagine that, the cost of an important, shorter lifespan-engineered appliance takes a big jump in cost. Funny how all the stuff you have to buy jumped up when gas prices jump but never go down with the same relationship. A few of days ago when barrel oil prices jumped a couple bucks and they were frantically changing the signs to a dime higher within minutes. Barrel price went back down like 3 bucks the next day but it's like those panickers forgot how to change that readerboard and pumps---LOL! Ahh getting on a rant, sorry!

Talked to Foley around new years by email and all was well, but I think his area has been getting soaked with rain. Hope everything is ok.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:24 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road

I put a new one in 2 months ago as well. The old one didn't bust on me, but the insulation & innards were breaking down and getting into the water.

I opted for the Cadillac model. 50 gallons, 12 years, and double insulation. Pricey, but a 10% military discount brought it down to the cost of the one I would have purchased otherwise. Add in a few parts, and the cost was about $600 with me and my old man doing the labor.

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:02 AM

Truck: 1962 4x4 pick-up fleet side, going custom flat bed on the restore.
Hobie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I put a new one in 2 months ago as well. The old one didn't bust on me, but the insulation & innards were breaking down and getting into the water.

I opted for the Cadillac model. 50 gallons, 12 years, and double insulation. Pricey, but a 10% military discount brought it down to the cost of the one I would have purchased otherwise. Add in a few parts, and the cost was about $600 with me and my old man doing the labor.

I hope that gas valve lasts more than the six months on average they are lasting out here. We get at least two calls a day for the warranty work on those **** things. Keep a close eye on it and please make sure to get all the paperwork in order for the warranty. Since you self installed they (whirlpool) have been real stingy on covering claims.
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:22 AM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road

Good call. I'm certain I kept everything, and that it was done properly. My father has been working in construction & general contracting for nearly 40 years, so he has the know-how to do things right.

Hopefully there's no such issue to be worried about.