6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 7th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Off Topic What about all this terrorism stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Hello All,
I’ll be the first to admit that Founding Fathers (FF) of our great nation could not envision the leaps in weapon technology or in our communications technology– but they DID foresee the Govt. could abuse their power.

I have gotten into some very heated arguments with some associates (stick any title you need to in there) that feel that the time has come to limit the access to personal firearms, they base their argument on the above that the Founding Fathers could not foresee machine guns or other weapons of multiple cartridge capacity and because of such the Second Amendment should not apply!
One of the arguments I have also heard, when talking about religions, is that the founders could not have foreseen what the Muslims were capable of, or else there wouldn't be freedom of religion.

Which is sad since the founders most certainly understood what religion is capable of, which is why none is allowed to be recognized as an official country religion and why no religion is allowed to be over the government. Since Jefferson owned a Koran, I think he understood the religion (especially since he -agreed- that Jesus was just a prophet, not son-of-God). Plus we had trade dealings with foreign countries of various religions (the trade agreement which states we are not a Christian nation for instance).

The argument against weapons, when they say that the founders couldn't imagine the type of weapons we have now, or that they didn't mean military weapons, falls flat when you understand that they -did- mean all weapons, especially military ones. If you could afford it, you could own a cannon if you wanted to.
-I am not saying everyone should have an atom bomb, however-

The founders were quite adamant, that the government should not have a standing army (because standing armies lead to tyranny) which is why there is only an authorization to call up the militia of the states to defend the nation, and why there is a limitation of 2 years on any funding for the army. Knowing the safety of trade across the ocean was important is why a navy was authorized.
We seem to have standing armies today, and no militias. And we have been accusing the government of tyranny. go figure.

Quote:

The FF, knew based on their past collective histories, that a Government without checks and balances, is a government that is dangerous. That’s WHY they structured the Constitution and Bill of Rights the way they did.
Exactly.

Quote:
What many in Congress have seemly forgotten is that ANYONE who devises/offers/attempts to act AGAINST our citizens or our country should be treated as an enemy combatant (whether it be a US Citizen or outsider). The slippery slope comes into play as to WHO are those persons to DECIDE what defines who an enemy combatant is? – Is it simply someone who speaks about govt. injustice? Or someone who speaks up in order to incite a plan and carry out an attack? I believe the latter. This question is much harder to answer than you can imagine.
True.
So, where do you stand on the "no-fly list" issue (or is that what you were talking about...)? The President has asked that those people be barred from being able to purchase guns. Congress has said no, they should be able to.
Both reasonings appear sound, if we think they are terrorists so they are not allowed on planes, why are we allowing them weapons, but since the list -may- include people who are not terrorists then we shouldn't ban them from having weapons?

I would think that keeping them from weapons would be prudent, but also really investigating the list and maybe removing people who shouldn't be on it would also be prudent.
-=Not that it would stop things like the San Bernadino shooting, where the man was a US citizen and had never been in trouble nor had any ties to any organization... and bought the rifles before he met his wife.=-

However, as has been pointed out, our methodology tends to be extreme, such as the internment of US citizens during WWII. The US policy seems to be "go overboard on everything".

Quote:
I don’t have any answer, but I can tell you this; limiting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms of a free society IS NOT THE ANSWER. Besides, no one has devised a fool proof plan to keep weapons out of the hands of Criminals - therein lies the rub.
Especially when we, the US, are often the guilty party when it comes to creating the hate groups which fight us. Often they are the ones we helped previously, to get their country back and -surprise- they didn't want us to rule them either (ie. Al Qeada and their predecessors, and likely the Daesh since they were part of the Syrian rebels we were supporting)

Jake[/QUOTE]

-<edited down to address specific comments, although everything I said could easily apply to the entire, well written, "speech">-
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500

Last edited by David R Leifheit; December 7th, 2015 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Thought of more... :)
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:52 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

What I would like to add is those that claimed that our founding father's couldn't forsee machine guns or other weapons that had multiple capacity need to do some research. During the American Revolution there already was a gun similar to The Gatlin gun and other types that would shout multiple rounds such as a pistol that shot 6 rounds at one pull of the trigger. Even so this is irrelevant because the 2nd ammendment gives the right to the people to arm themselves from tyranny whether foreign and domestic. Anti-gun politicians make claims that citizens don't need multiple capacity weapons to go hunting or protect themselves from burglars. Are they trying to play the American people as fools? Yet the second ammendment has nothing to do with hunting or protection from burglars, it's sole purpose is to protect us from Tyranny
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I think our best shot is keep killing the leaders with drones and hope the Russians bomb everything and everybody until the wicked are dead. If there are innocent people there, they should escape to the desert and leave the devils under the city so the Russian dumb bombs can blow them out. They are not a trained army, their wins have been by suicide and one sided attacks. As soon as they see big defeat they will strip off their black jump suits and disappear back to their goats and mud houses in a New York minute. Our guys are there to identify and "mark" the targets for air attack. All these types know they must hide amongst the people to be safe from the politically correct U.S. bombs but they forgot Russia doesn't care. Go Russia!!!!!!!!! Notice they don't really use all those captured HumVees and Tanks for anything except a secret parade. There are no new photos of them even in parades. We would love them to bring them out in the open. Lot's of fun would happen. I think it's so funny that their heaven has all the excesses and wild pleasures that are forbidden here on earth. 24 Virgins and all that. So is it strictly wrong and against there belief and they will kill you if you do any of it but so good that it will make you want to kill yourself??????????? and be a martyr?? What the HE!! is that?

Last edited by AZKen; December 8th, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:10 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road

Heck, I guess I'll throw in my $.02...

In general, it amazes me how much reference/passion/honor/etc there is of the U.S. Constitution/founding fathers from the 1700's, yet for generations afterwards, our government bullied the American Indians, and allowed slavery. Seems ironic...

This is the only reason I did not join the military, as I don't trust our government. And in my opinion, they don't have the best track record.

Based on the world we live in today and the number of pies we have stuck our finger in, I predict it will only get worse. I hope and pray that our country and allies will be strong enough and intelligent enough to pull together as one team, and destroy evil.

There will come a time when we will have to make a decision that we are at war. And war, has no rules (or constitution). War also forces you to pick a side, which in many cases, results in additional challenges.

Until that time, evil is in all shapes/sizes/***/race/religions. The more evil we are exposed to, the greater chance our society becomes immune to it. This has happened to other countries, and can happen to our country too if we don't come together and do something about it.

I'm in my mid-40's, and the only time in my life I can remember our country not being in conflict with "each other", is during a short period after the 9/11 attacks. Democrat, Republican, Black, White, gays, etc... Didn't matter, for a short period, we united. Of course, it didn't take long before we were back to our usual ways of tearing each other down.

Lets hope it doesn't take another 9/11 attack to pull us back together.
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:11 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It's good to see all you guys agreeing for the most part. I've been reading up on the region alot lately and how things have gone sideways in the past regarding muslims.

(Here's me stepping in it with both feet, lol)

I think it's kinda like the old days when they used to attack us (1700s etc) and they'd just keep it up until we killed all of them off down to the stumps again. They just don't quit unless you make their number 1 priority running from a bullet. It's a religious thing. They think they're fighting Satan himself and until they set fire to the world their god won't come fix the planet.

I hate the idea of going to war again but in this case I think it's necessary, but the plan should be to go in there, tear everything up, set up military bases and build oil export lines, then establish a permanent presence there to keep the lid tamped down kinda like we did with Germany and Japan.

Now then we have Russia banging around over there too and they'll want a piece of the pie in Syria. Nothing we can do about that, but we can make sure they're limited to Syria only by putting bases and shipping lanes in Iraq, Kuwait, and Yemen. With a big, honking military base full of soldiers the locals always go out of their way to shake hands and be friendly. It gives a sense of power and stability they don't have now.

With Russia though, if they go to war with Turkey (and thereby us), all bets are off. Bullets, bandaids, and beans is more and more becoming my plan if that happens. (That's apparently an old saying to prepare for the worst, hope for the best)

As far as the election goes I'm thinking both Trump and Cruz could handle that, with Trump being more likely to fly off the handle and make Russia start lobbing bombs all over, but he'd punch back when it happened. Hillary burned me a long time ago and she can't seem to do anything but lie, and Sanders...well, Sanders is just as much of a joke as Obama is. He never should have made it past the primaries. The man doesn't know the meaning of the word "Constitutional".

Anyway, that's what I've come to believe after a bunch of reading and looking at the history. It's a group with a mission and they don't mind if it takes 1 month or 100 years. They're playing the long game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg middle-east-political-map (1).jpg (208.0 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; December 14th, 2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:30 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I see your logic about setting up bases and such like Germany and Japan. BUT with that terrain, the number of near countries and their firepower...it would give them a huge target. You would have to have a 100 mile perimeter. There seems to be only 30,000 of them. I believe we are slowing the recruitment, killing the leaders and fighters and hoping they will gradually disappear. With all the countries now serious about eliminating them, I do have hope this strategy will work. They complain about Obama not having a strategy or changing the strategy. I would be very proud if he/they finally decided not to advertise the strategy or change in strategy. That is what the press needs to understand. This administration has announced all of our secrets and plans since gaining office. ISIS will disappear, they have no love from ANYONE except themselves. All the towns they have conquered hate them, the world hates them. They are living like rats under towns. The area is so religiously centered that those that could end it are held back because they don't want to help this or that group, country, religion. I don't like Obama but I don't envy his position trying to stop them and trying to get the people who should stop them to act. The American people need to understand that we are now oil independent. It's hard to realize because it happened so fast, fracking, etc. We now can actually get out of the middle east/North Africa and stay out after crushing isis. Forget Assad. Forget the oil. Stay friends with whomever wants to be friends. Use this time to regain "friendship" with Russia. China will never let North Korea bomb or fight anyone.

Last edited by AZKen; December 14th, 2015 at 09:37 PM.