6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road
Default 62 GMC build

Here are some pics of my 62 that I finally got home.

It was sitting for 7 years.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I originally thought a barrel nut fell into the engine and it was parked. It was going to need engine work so I bought two parts motors.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I later found out it was a piece of all-thread and it was too long to fall completely into a cylinder. It was making a bunch of noise (probably holding an intake valve open) so he parked it.
..after making a deal and paying him for a not running truck he called to tell me he got it to start.
Even though I had it towed home we had it running and driving at his house! He jokingly told me the price goes up for a running truck. I jokingly reminded him that I already paid him and transferred the title so he must be wanting to buy it back for more than he sold it for.

It was really dusty from sitting so long in the desert but it was in covered parking so no major rot other than the tires.
Once I got it home I fixed a few things and swapped a few parts to stop some leaks but EVERYTHING works!
So I started cleaning...
Before...

After...

I waxed the right side of the hood just to see if it would clean up. Not too bad but I need to get some better stuff than the dried up old Turtle Wax® that I had laying around.
Old September 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 62 GMC build

That's a great lookin truck after the spit and polish. Three original hubcaps too. Hold on to those like they're gold. They're worth more per oz lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That's a great lookin truck after the spit and polish. Three original hubcaps too. Hold on to those like they're gold. They're worth more per oz lol
Thanks Pep. Your build was one of the inspirations to keep the V6.
...I have all 4 caps. I didn't put it on the spare.

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Congratulation TD! Looks like you really scored on this one. Those look like original style seat belts?! What size are those clipped rims? X2 on the hubcaps...
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Congratulation TD! Looks like you really scored on this one. Those look like original style seat belts?! What size are those clipped rims? X2 on the hubcaps...
Thanks Funk...
Those wheels are 16.5"s. I'm gonna get some 07up Econoline wheels soon. They are 16" and don't have the nubs.
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:11 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Incredible nice truck TD. Sounds like you made a very good deal. Covered and sitting in the desert climate means NO rust!! Did it come from the Boulder City-Las Vegas- Southern NV area? I'm always curious as to where these finds come from. I'm also saying good job on the detail work of the . I really like the color scheme on your truck and very happy to see another one brought back from the morgue to live another life. Are those the original seat belts do ya think? Foley
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Incredible nice truck TD. Sounds like you made a very good deal. Covered and sitting in the desert climate means NO rust!! Did it come from the Boulder City-Las Vegas- Southern NV area? I'm always curious as to where these finds come from. I'm also saying good job on the detail work of the . I really like the color scheme on your truck and very happy to see another one brought back from the morgue to live another life. Are those the original seat belts do ya think? Foley
The owners manual was in this truck and the original owners name and address was written on it in pencil. I could barely make out the address but I entered it into my navigation ap on my phone and it is a good address. L.A. Not far from Venice Beach. I also saw another name on a receipt from 1979 that was in an LA suburb(I forgot which one). The next owner had receipts from Van Nuys and from Boulder City in 1987. He worked for the park service and was an avid fisherman. I was told by the last owner that the fisherman never took the camper off and as a result didn't drive it much. The guy I bought it from had it 10 years. He bought it just to take his dogs out because it was getting too hard to get them in his old Jeep. He took the camper off the day he got it and it was never used again. He said I could have it but I don't need anymore projects.

As far as the seat belts I don't know but I see a lotta light green paint were there are chips and on the bottom of the cab so I doubt they are original. Who knows for sure? Next time I am under it I will look a little closer at how they are mounted.
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:14 AM

Decided to tackle the fuel tank today...
It smelled really bad and the previous owner used a stick to see how much fuel was in the tank. He said it came out black the other day when he tried it

Removing the tank wasn't bad except it was nearly full of the nastiest, stinkiest stuff that actually burns your skin the second it touches it.
I hosed it out and drained it repeatedly and rusty stuff still came out of it. So I decided to pull the sending unit...

Pretty obvious why this one doesn't work (other than it wasn't designed to gauge rusty caustic goo)

Luckily for me Tuckers is pretty close by and had everything in stock.

It went together fairly easily except the o.d. of the new fuel filler tube was larger than the original so the old clamps were no bueno. I had some laying around so no biggie. I also forgot to put the gasket over the fuel sending unit so I did that step twice

A quick stop at NAPA after Tuckers got me a new fuel filter and some new fuel line. Their "Gold" line look just like Wiks filters and that is a good thing! None of the part numbers I have worked for a new canister so I used the old one that I crushed a little while removing.
Please don't lay under my truck until I can locate a new one.

...and I apologize if my rust free floors have you jealous but it's about time I got a good one! My other project just hit 12 years and to most it looks worse than when I got it.

I almost bought a new battery but luckily I looked for something in the other truck and forgot about the one that came out of the other other other project, my daughters Cherokee. SCORE!

Next is to clean up the 500 Holley, remove the choke plate from a doner carb and install it, and figure out the throttle linkage, choke linkage, and fuel lines.
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:32 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks Pep. Your build was one of the inspirations to keep the V6.
...I have all 4 caps. I didn't put it on the spare.

Aww man! I'm glad I could help with the decision. They're really great engines when you use the torque they have. They wont spin 90,000 RPM but they'll tow two houses up the grand canyon at 50 mph. 55 if you put wheels on the houses.

Really digging the pics too. Did you buy a whole new tank to go with it? That one looks extra clean.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:12 AM

Yep, new tank. The piece of mind will be worth the expense. They aren't very expensive really.

I am learning the V6, or rather the Hydramatic. I've been holding it in gear and the performance is much better! The power is fine. I'm a Jeep guy and they are known for their low speed torque so it isn't much different.
It can be hard to start and it stalls at the worst moments. Considering I haven't touched the carb or distributor I'm not unhappy with it. Mostly amazed it runs as good as it does!