6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter
 



Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical


Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 30th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Sponge Sponge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Musson, Musson
Truck: 1962 1500
Age: 36
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 18
Sponge is on a distinguished road
Default GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Hi guys,

I've got some doubt on the way my 12V alternator is hooked up.

It does not charge at all so I started to troubleshoot the wiring.
I got the feeling the Battery post on the alternator goes to the wrong starter solenoid post.

I need to check but I think the wire from the alternator battery post goes to the AMP meter then back to the solenoid connector on the top of below picture.

If this is the case, shouldn't be connected to the battery post on the left side?

My amp meter is always on negative while engine running.

Thanks


Dylan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7378.JPG (713.3 KB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:58 PM
bobdylan bobdylan is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: mclouth kansas
Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
Age: 61
Posts: 365
Rep Power: 110
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Are you sure it is not charging? Start it unhook battery cable while it is running , if it keeps running alternator is working.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 31st, 2016, 06:01 PM
Sponge Sponge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Musson, Musson
Truck: 1962 1500
Age: 36
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 18
Sponge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

I checked the wires and I replaced two of them. Other than that, it looks correctly wired.

I tested the voltage at the battery with engine off and unplugged then with engine running at idling or in some rpm and the voltage did not change at all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 31st, 2016, 07:41 PM
TJ's GMC's Avatar
TJ's GMC TJ's GMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cave Junction, Oregon
Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
Posts: 1,243
Rep Power: 327
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Run the engine, check voltage. Then turn on Lights, Heater, and anything else that draws power. If the voltage has dropped but is remaining steady the alternator is maintaining, but if the voltage is steadily dropping and not Stopping the alternator is either not working or not wired correctly. It's a common thing for voltage regulators to go bad causing an appearance that the alternator is bad, but as old as it is...new ones are cheap and cheap insurance. You can get a new regulator to, I would recommend converting to a 1 wire though. One wire from alternator to battery positive and then hook up the gauge and your good to go.
__________________
"Excuse the rust I use my truck"
1964 GMC 1500 305E/sm420 4 barrel intake mod and dual exhaust.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600
1977 Chevy C20 572 BBC/TH400
1984 Chevy C30 292/SM465

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 1st, 2016, 01:14 AM
James James is offline
Tinkering on old trucks.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Greer, SC
Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
Age: 62
Posts: 89
Rep Power: 49
James is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Run the engine, check voltage. Then turn on Lights, Heater, and anything else that draws power. If the voltage has dropped but is remaining steady the alternator is maintaining, but if the voltage is steadily dropping and not Stopping the alternator is either not working or not wired correctly. It's a common thing for voltage regulators to go bad causing an appearance that the alternator is bad, but as old as it is...new ones are cheap and cheap insurance. You can get a new regulator to, I would recommend converting to a 1 wire though. One wire from alternator to battery positive and then hook up the gauge and your good to go.
Connecting the alternator directly to the battery will disable the battery amp meter (meter will always reads zero).

Using a one wire alternator can cause other symptoms (I have experience this problem). If there is not quite perfect connection on every junctions (a connection with a slight amount of corrosion) you could experience a low voltage condition (like your headlight blinking only with the turn signal on or dim headlights when the heater is on). This is cause by the way the alternator is referencing the system voltage. On a one wire alternator it is sense in the alternator. On a normal system it is sense at a common junction point (usually behind the dash) and will dampen this effect. If you have a new harness then there should be no problem what type of alternator you use.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:06 PM
Sponge Sponge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Musson, Musson
Truck: 1962 1500
Age: 36
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 18
Sponge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

I tried another alternator but that one was stored for a long time and is a bit Noisy and does not charge of course....

I'm unlucky for now....

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:08 PM
Sponge Sponge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Musson, Musson
Truck: 1962 1500
Age: 36
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 18
Sponge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

This is the way my alternator, amp meter and starter and connected.




From amp meter, one side, I've got one wire from starter battery +
On the other side, two wires: alternator battery b+ then the other wire is my main harness power.

Does it make sense to you? When I turn on light, there is a power consumption and it reads zero when key is off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:01 AM
James James is offline
Tinkering on old trucks.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Greer, SC
Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
Age: 62
Posts: 89
Rep Power: 49
James is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
This is the way my alternator, amp meter and starter and connected.




From amp meter, one side, I've got one wire from starter battery +
On the other side, two wires: alternator battery b+ then the other wire is my main harness power.

Does it make sense to you? When I turn on light, there is a power consumption and it reads zero when key is off.
Yes this is correct.

Base on the pictures you posted earlier it look like you have a Delco-Remy 65 amp alternator (with a two wire connector plug into the side of the alternator) with an internal regulator. One option is to have the alternator bench check at an auto part store.

Or if you have a volt meter you can test it. With the engine running check the voltage output of the alternator with a volt meter (should be approx. 13.5-14.0 volts)? It should be nearly identical reading at the battery. If it is less than that there is a D shape hole on the back side of the alternator. Inside that hole is a metal tab. Using a small pocket screw driver ground that tab to the side of the alternator while monitoring the voltage. It should go up, may go over 14.0 volts, so don't leave it on it too long. The alternator may even moan while the current is flowing out. If it does work it look like the internal regulator at fault and will need to be change.

Let us know what you find.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:27 PM
Sponge Sponge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Musson, Musson
Truck: 1962 1500
Age: 36
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 18
Sponge is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Yes this is correct.

Base on the pictures you posted earlier it look like you have a Delco-Remy 65 amp alternator (with a two wire connector plug into the side of the alternator) with an internal regulator. One option is to have the alternator bench check at an auto part store.

Or if you have a volt meter you can test it. With the engine running check the voltage output of the alternator with a volt meter (should be approx. 13.5-14.0 volts)? It should be nearly identical reading at the battery. If it is less than that there is a D shape hole on the back side of the alternator. Inside that hole is a metal tab. Using a small pocket screw driver ground that tab to the side of the alternator while monitoring the voltage. It should go up, may go over 14.0 volts, so don't leave it on it too long. The alternator may even moan while the current is flowing out. If it does work it look like the internal regulator at fault and will need to be change.

Let us know what you find.
With the voltmeter, I've got 12.3V at idling so way too low to my opinion and no change while rpm going up of course.

For the D shape, I'll have a look.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 21st, 2016, 04:47 AM
LEWISMATKIN LEWISMATKIN is offline
-= Dues Paid =-
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: RIDGE MANOR, FLORIDA
Truck: 1965 1002 GMC V6-305E
Age: 57
Posts: 14
Rep Power: 33
LEWISMATKIN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

either the regulator inside the alternator is shot, or the diode trio which attaches to the diode bridge is shot. In either case, replace the alternator. BTW, a 1962 didn't come with an alternator, but a 35a generator. I hope this helps you.

cordially,
Lewis Ellis Matkin, Jr.
Ridge, Manor, Fla.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: [6066 GMC] 305 V6 starter solenoid Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 April 21st, 2009 03:59 AM
Re: 305 V6 starter solenoid Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 April 21st, 2009 03:44 AM
Re: [6066 GMC] 305 V6 starter solenoid Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 April 20th, 2009 01:51 AM
305 V6 starter solenoid Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 April 20th, 2009 01:42 AM
RE: [6066 GMC] 1962 SB wideside vs 1962 Suburban choice Archiver Previous Forum Posts 0 June 7th, 2005 10:59 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd 111|0
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.