6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old April 6th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Truck: 1963 GMC Fleetside
Ancientx is on a distinguished road
Default New guy from STL.(WARNING: longer than I thought it'd be)

Hi all, I'm Louis B. I just joined. (duh) I live in the St. Louis, MO area.

I joined this site for a couple reasons. But a little background first.

I inherited my dad's '63 GMC fleetside. He was the 2nd owner. He bought it in Durango CO when he lived there in 1989-91. It's the only vehicle he ever finished restoring/customizing during my lifetime. So obviously, he loved this truck. So do I.
Happy Truck's all original except for the paint and the interior.... and soon the wood bed. (Dad and his buddy had the bright idea to PLANE out all the dings in the wood.

About 5 years ago he retired. He'd been living up in N.E. WY. Dad was a... collector. I love him, but it was mostly a LOT of junk. (7 round trips , 2 trucks w/trailers each time, 24hr drive each direction.)
On one of those trips he had me drive "Happy Truck" back to IL. Literally half way back, I had stopped at the Canton car show, (a little south of Sioux Falls SD) When I started the truck it started making a "clunking" noise deep in the engine, which sped up as I accelerated. Needless to say, I only went to the nearest shop 2 blocks away and had it looked at by an old boy. Diagnosis: spun crank bearing.
At this point I was really wishing dad had let me change the oil and do a couple other things maintenance-wise before I'd left WY. (He'd gotten to a point of not spending a dime he didn't feel was necessary and it bit him in the *** on more occasions than I care to remember.) So, I was stuck in po-dunk for a week before he could come tow me the rest of the way.
We made it back to IL (outside STL) with no more incidents... that trip. BUT Happy Truck has sat in the barn ever since.
Dad passed away a little over 2 1/2 years ago. (I do miss the cantankerous old guy.) So I decided I would turn H.T. around, pull the motor, fix the issues, and drive it.

But there's an... issue. Dad collected about 14 vehicles. Most of which didn't run and were, well, worthless. I've sold or scrapped most all. I still have: a derelict '77 Winnebago; an '82 Chevy PU; a '77 Dodge B300 camping van, a Ironsmith Bugatti replicar (NOT VW, Ford V6). AND THEN there's my '66 Skylark and '92 Dodge Dakota.
That's 6 for those not counting.
I don't need that many. I'm doing ok, but not so ok to afford the tags, insurance, time and maintenance on all these. I'm keeping my Skylark (daily driver), and the Bugatti (happy fun-time driving with my GF) and selling the rest.
I need a business truck, which I hope will be an early 90's Dodge diesel. I haul a lot of stuff to the shows I do. (Ren faires) I'm a carver and make a LOT of drinking horns. The diesel Dodge will do what I need and get better mileage than anything I've got now.
Hence the reason for restoring H.T.: to sell it to buy the Dodge and do ALL the work on it to bring it "up to snuff". Anything left over will go into... idk, the business, building a cottage.
Please don't get me wrong, if this were pre-08, I could and would keep it for sentimental value. But post-08 I have to be practical. :/ I'm not happy with it, it's just how it is.

So here's what I'm hoping to accomplish:
Post pics of HT as he sits now and get a well rounded evaluation of it's value as it sits in the condition he's in. (Yes, he. Idk why. It just "fits".) AND get an evaluation of price of him in fully operational condition.
Next, any and all advice on what I need to do to repair HT.
Help from this community "in the know" on where to find parts to accomplish all the above.
And then, if I don't find a buyer at my price here, I will load him onto a trailer, take him with me to the NY Renaissance Festival outside NYC come August and take offers there.
Where undoubtedly, some idiot will drop a 350 chevy in it with a powerglide or some other trans into it.
I am proud to say I think he's one of the best looking trucks of his kind/age out there. Most who've seen him agree.. or are at least being polite.

So. There it is. My intro to me and why I'm here. I love this truck and would love to keep it. But, finacially, I don't see any way. '08 sucker punched me in the.. boys. And I've been living in a 5th wheel camper trailer on the family property since. Slowly building my life back together. That trailer's getting old and it's tooo small for my GF to move in permanently.
Old April 7th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Truck: I don't own one at this time
RustyNut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy from STL.(WARNING: longer than I thought it'd be)

I wouldn't mind taking a look/listen. I am in St Charles, MO. Depending on your location/schedule hopefully we can meet soon.

Rusty
Old April 7th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Sorry you have to let the truck go. Hope it goes to someone other than, like you said, "Some idiot who will throw in a stinkin 350" Makes me grind my teeth to. lol Its stupid anymore to even go to a car show.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNut View Post
I wouldn't mind taking a look/listen. I am in St Charles, MO. Depending on your location/schedule hopefully we can meet soon.

Rusty
I live over outside of Alton IL. Let's trade numbers. I'll pm you mine. Texts work better as I live about 20 minutes from the Alton bridge. Calls Rarely ever get through. Voicemail and texts do fine. :/ Go figger.

PM sent.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Sorry you have to let the truck go. Hope it goes to someone other than, like you said, "Some idiot who will throw in a stinkin 350" Makes me grind my teeth to. lol Its stupid anymore to even go to a car show.
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, SBC350 is a good, dependable motor, but **** it's overdone.

The original plan was to use the whole running gear from a '65 Olds 98 out in the back.
A mild cam, valve grind, port the heads and a street demon carb would make that 455 Rocket run like a raped ape in that truck. HEHE.

I'd also upgrade the front suspension to modern standard and disc front brakes. My hats of to the purists. In a lot of cases I'm right there with them. But sometimes, well, all my uncles have been building cars all their lives. My dad did to before kids and a mortgage. I got an eye on a '66 Buick GS too. But that'll only happen if everything between now and October falls into place, and it'll be a restoration.

As far as the '66 Skylark I have now is concerned, I want it to be more "pro-cruizer" than pro-touring. I can't afford to build 500HP, much less a 1000. And who can afford the gas? Gimme 375-500HP and 24mpg thank you.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:34 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientx View Post
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, SBC350 is a good, dependable motor, but ***m it's overdone.

The original plan was to use the whole running gear from a '65 Olds 98 out in the back.
A mild cam, valve grind, port the heads and a street demon carb would make that 455 Rocket run like a raped ape in that truck. HEHE.

I'd also upgrade the front suspension to modern standard and disc front brakes. My hats of to the purists. In a lot of cases I'm right there with them. But sometimes, well, all my uncles have been building cars all their lives. My dad did to before kids and a mortgage. I got an eye on a '66 Buick GS too. But that'll only happen if everything between now and October falls into place, and it'll be a restoration.

As far as the '66 Skylark I have now is concerned, I want it to be more "pro-cruizer" than pro-touring. I can't afford to build 500HP, much less a 1000. And who can afford the gas? Gimme 375-500HP and 24mpg thank you.
LS7? lol 505 hp and 480 torque and some 20 miles per gallon.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:41 AM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the club!

Sorry to hear about the tough times. Lots of folks haven't had it so easy. I hope things turn out better, and you end up being able to keep HT. In any event, "he" should stay in good hands which appreciate such things