6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old January 7th, 2015, 01:06 AM

Truck: I don't own one at this time
RustyNut is on a distinguished road
Default Southeast Mini-Meet

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!!!!!

During the exchange of salutations on the Happy Holiday thread there was some interest shown in a Southeast "Mini-Meet". The Atlanta area seemed to be OK with those who showed interest>

I believe potential attendees are as follows: (in no particular order)

Clyde Abbeville, SC
aphaynes Athens, AL
kknotts Ellisville, MS
GMCNUT Arab, AL
frost66 Cullman, AL
RustyNut St Louis, MO
Ed Snyder Jacksonville, Oregon

I am copy/pasting my invitation to the Wichita Mini-Meet held this past summer:

Since I joined the group (10+?) years ago I have always promoted the idea of all members to try and organize "Mini-Meets". I have hosted/promoted a couple & attended quite a few. There is no better excuse to travel & meet new folks! And the good thing is the folks you meet all have one good thing in common..... They love these trucks!!!!!

I can honestly say that the 20 or 30 members I have met at these meets all seem to be "Good People". Over the years a few of these folks I have met have turned into what I consider real friends.

I hope everyone here thinks about trying to promote/organize a "Mini-Meet" in your area. Throw the idea out there and see what happens. Might be 2 or 3 folks, might get 6 or 10, may be the blow-out extravaganza of the century (Highly doubtful, but hey who knows).

With that being said, Are there any folks in the Southeast that would be willing to try and get together sometime this summer? Depending on response and location I can try to find a central location to try and accomodate as many as possible.

My next question is, I have suggested a Mini-Meet at Barnesville (1 hour south of Atlanta) on May 2nd. They are have a "Battle of the Bones" Festival which includes a BBQ competition and Car show.

http://barnesville.org/bbq-blues/

Is this a good option???? Who could make it??? Should we start planning????

OR

If anyone else has ideas/suggestions please speak up now so folks can start making plans.

Take Care ALL!!!!!

Rusty
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:54 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Southeast Mini-Meet

Hey Rusty,
I just saw this. I have played music around central Georgia all my life. I have been to all the festivals around here. Barnesville used to have the Buggy Days Festival. It was a nice event in a nice town. The only real negative to choosing Barnesville as a meeting site is the fact that it is quite a ways from the Interstate. I can get there the back way at night and never get lost. But I am thinking of folks from other areas.
The local Macon Cruisers car club hosts an informal car show/cruise in, every first Saturday of the month. It is literally right on the Interstate, at The Big Peach Outlet Mall. A clueless traveler could not miss it. There is a freakishly large Big Peach, on a 100 foot pole, that you can see for miles. It is the most centrally located place I could think of to have such a meeting. You can see the interstate from the car area. It is right up against the fence that separates the interstate. It is near the geographical center of Georgia, at the Byron exit, on Interstate I-75 .
If you were to have the meeting at The Big Peach, you could choose to have the meeting co-inside with the Annual Macon Cherry Blossom Festival, the ladies would have the chance to shop there brains out, and see the beautiful Cherry Trees. There are two weeks of cultural events and stuff for every taste. It would also provide some great backdrops for pictures of the old trucks. Being a local, I know where all the best spots are. Macon Georgia has some of the most beautiful antebellum scenery in the South. And Cherry blossom time is the peak of the entire year.
I would be tickled to have the meeting in my own backyard as it were. Either place will be fine with me. I will try to attend wherever you land. If I can help answer any questions, I will be glad to do so. Thanks, Greg Mead
Old January 8th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Greg,

I know right where you are talking about. I used to live down there when I worked at Robins AFB. To bad it's not in my backyard anymore. Although, we are considering coming back to the area. Right now, at interstate speed, it is a 6 hour ride for me. In the GMC probably a bit longer if it could even make it.
Old January 8th, 2015, 09:02 PM

Hey AP, I worked at Robins at 645 about ten years ago. I understand the dilemma of the old trucks. If mechanically perfect, they all suck gas. I wonder if the out west folks might be planning to trailer there trucks. I would not want to do the math on gas, even at 2.50 a gallon. Scary. I have the utmost respect for anyone traveling cross country in an old vehicle. Takes guts and gas. I would love to see some more GMC steel around here. The Chevy trucks dominate this area. I have the only 1960 66 GMC that I know of in this area. If they are around, I never see them and they do not make it out to The Big Peach monthly cruise in. Hope it is where you can come, even if its in another vehicle. Here is a picture of Cherry Street, Macon, Georgia, circa 1955. I ate hotdogs with The Allman Brothers in the pool hall, with my dad, as a kid. The S&S is still awesome, though they moved. Little Richard washed dishes and invented rock n roll, all up and down Cherry Street in the early 1950's. Check the old Harley. I believe it is a 1936 Knuclehead Harley. Likely sold new sround the corner on Second Street, at the Walker Harley Shop which was bought by Mr. Grover, in 1957 and renamed Macon Harley Sales. That's where my truck used to work. Later, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macon.JPG (158.3 KB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:38 AM

As far as the guys out west bringing trucks......... I wouldn't count on it. It is not realistic.

And don't get your hopes too high. The usual turnout to these "Mini-Meets" is anywhere from 4-10 owners and 3-5 trucks. If you think there will be 100 folks with 50 or more GMC's you WILL be disapointed!!!!!!

Some of the more memorable meets I have attended are the two Rick Rusconi hosted near Sacramento, Ed Snyder's get together in Oregon, Jolly's 5 & 10 year wing-dings and most recently the Wichita meet.

These get-togethers are a great way to meet others that share an interest.

With that being said, I was hoping we could somehow agree on a location that would allow the most folks/trucks to be present.

Please start throwing out ideas of places and dates and hopefully we come up with a plan for the most succesful "Mini-Meet".

Rusty
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:34 AM

Hey Rusty, Here are a couple of ideas to consider.
There is a Moultrie Swap Meet and Car Corral on Feb.6-8. It is right of I-75 in Moultrie, South Georgia.
The Macon International Cherry Blossom Festival goes from March 20-28, in Macon Georgia. It too is right at I-75. There will be car shows in the huge Central City Park, and other sites in and around Macon.
Either of these dates/places will have a lot to offer car and truck folks. The swap meet is huge and there are parts to be found there. I think this suggestion offers the most bang for the buck, for truck folks.
The Macon Park Show will have a good many cars, some trucks and a fair type atmosphere. The Barnesville car show historically has been a rather small car turnout. The big draw is the cooking contest. The cars have always been a less prominent part of there festivities. Nothing wrong with it, just kind of a smaller car pool in a big cooking pond.
These two events are all that jump out at me that might make the most folks happy. Any of the three are fine for me. I love the laid back feel of the Barnesville Fest, the wide open fair of the Central City Park Show, and I have always wanted to go to Moultrie for the Swap Meet. If you decide on Moultrie, I will now have a great extra reason to make it down there. Hope this helps, Greg Mead
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:59 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

I would dig being able to get to Georgia again too, last time we were there was 2003. My Dad and previous generations were from Crawfordville, and Taliaferro county area. They are all gone now but I still love that part of the country. Sounds like y'all have the beginnings of a cool meet starting!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:14 AM

Truck: 1961 GMC Suburban 4WD-1966 GMC p?u,351,Turbo 400
Clyde will become famous soon enough

I am open to most any location that suits the rest of you folks, pick some and we can vote on them. If anyone else has some suggestions please chime in. Looking forward to a get together!!!
1966 GMC 3/4T P/U 351 V6, Turbo 400,Gear Vender OD
1969 GMC Suburban 1/2T
Old January 18th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Haven't heard any suggestions.......

I pretty much open to anytime/anyplace within 150 miles of Atlanta.

How far would others be willing to travel? Or who has suggestions on locations?

Rusty
Old January 18th, 2015, 09:57 PM

Truck: 1961 GMC Suburban 4WD-1966 GMC p?u,351,Turbo 400
Clyde will become famous soon enough

Barnesville sounds good to me.
1966 GMC 3/4T P/U 351 V6, Turbo 400,Gear Vender OD
1969 GMC Suburban 1/2T