6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > I-6 Engines

I-6 Engines For GMCs that came with the Inline 6 Engines

Old October 19th, 2013, 02:47 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
OK, I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and adjusted the timing. Today I drove it to a shop on the maiden voyage to get the brakes inspected. When I pushed the choke in all the way and tried to get it out of first, it stalled every time. When I pulled the choke out a little bit, I was able to drive it. Very rough and my wife complained that I smelled like an old gas rag when I got home, but I was able to get it up to 50 MPH. Any ideas about what is going on?
Don't think I have helped much here and this is probably not the problem either, but it happened to me when I built my Rochester M the first time. I bought 3 disassembled Rochesters, 1 model M (manual choke) and 2 MV's (automatic choke) parts carbs to build one good one and the plan went fine, as I wanted the Model M. It ran rough but idled pretty good. Since all 3 carbs were completely disassembled I had put the metering rod spring under the power piston arm instead of on the top. The drawings in the kit instructions did not show the spring position, so it was a guess.

The pic is of one of my parts carbs and how the spring should be positioned.

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rochester M metering rod spring.jpg (629.7 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:47 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to troubleshoot things without pulling apart the carb. I replaced the points and set the timing about 3-4 marks above 0 (TDC). I adjusted the fuel mixture. It runs better, but the only way to get it to highway speed is by pulling the choke out 1/4-1/2". One thing I noticed is that when I was going down a long steep hill in 1st, blue/white smoke poured out; it doesn't do this when idling. I hope it's not burning oil (?).
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:04 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

IDK about the I6, but the V6 only has a couple of marks for timing. If you set it 3-4 marks on that motor you'd be at like...+15 on timing

Are you sure that's right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 29th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm trying to troubleshoot things without pulling apart the carb. I replaced the points and set the timing about 3-4 marks above 0 (TDC). I adjusted the fuel mixture. It runs better, but the only way to get it to highway speed is by pulling the choke out 1/4-1/2". One thing I noticed is that when I was going down a long steep hill in 1st, blue/white smoke poured out; it doesn't do this when idling. I hope it's not burning oil (?).
so it idles OK but you can't get it moving without having the choke partly on? Does it die just above an idle without the choke? Do you leave it on or push it back in after you get going?
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyduncan View Post
so it idles OK but you can't get it moving without having the choke partly on? Does it die just above an idle without the choke? Do you leave it on or push it back in after you get going?
I was driving it 50-60 MPH with the choke still on. If I pushed the choke in, it would run but was really rough. I can get it rolling with the choke off, but it has to be revved pretty high to get it rolling.
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was driving it 50-60 MPH with the choke still on. If I pushed the choke in, it would run but was really rough. I can get it rolling with the choke off, but it has to be revved pretty high to get it rolling.
Congrats on a great truck.
Boy, that is a nice one.
Well, Vern....I've been readin along and I might have missed something, but I might be able to help you out..
First of all....rule of thumb is....If you need to choke your engine to get it to straighten out...then you're probably fuel starved. When you pull the choke, you reduce the airflow in, which makes it run better because you improved your air to fuel ratio.
It can be anything from a fuel filter to a poor fuel pump to a blocked port inside of your carb.
So think along those lines....maybe you can figure it out.
Of course, I might be wrong.
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:05 PM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Sounds just like a clogged fuel filter, replace the one inside the carb if you have already cleaned it it may still have shellac in it..Vernski
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:31 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Agree with all that advice - sitting still isn't good for us or our trucks. Engine either fuel starved, or you have a leaky intake gasket leaning up the mix. Easy way to eliminate a leaky gasket is with a can of starter fluid. Get the engine idling smooth and slow. Spray the starter fluid in short bursts at each side of the base of carb, and wait between shots. Follow this procedure around each port. If idle doesn't change, no leak and proceed with fuel delivery troubleshooting.

I've had to deal with plugged accelorator jets too; like Vernski said, fuel starvation for 1 reason or another.
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:50 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDShaffer View Post
Agree with all that advice - sitting still isn't good for us or our trucks. Engine either fuel starved, or you have a leaky intake gasket leaning up the mix. Easy way to eliminate a leaky gasket is with a can of starter fluid. Get the engine idling smooth and slow. Spray the starter fluid in short bursts at each side of the base of carb, and wait between shots. Follow this procedure around each port. If idle doesn't change, no leak and proceed with fuel delivery troubleshooting.

I've had to deal with plugged accelorator jets too; like Vernski said, fuel starvation for 1 reason or another.
Rodger all that.
(This procedure A.K.A.: Free Basing the Top End)

I am also a firm believer in WD's advice to "wait between shots"....

Last edited by Rockdriller; October 30th, 2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdriller View Post
Congrats on a great truck.
Boy, that is a nice one.
Well, Vern....I've been readin along and I might have missed something, but I might be able to help you out..
First of all....rule of thumb is....If you need to choke your engine to get it to straighten out...then you're probably fuel starved. When you pull the choke, you reduce the airflow in, which makes it run better because you improved your air to fuel ratio.
It can be anything from a fuel filter to a poor fuel pump to a blocked port inside of your carb.
So think along those lines....maybe you can figure it out.
Of course, I might be wrong.
The truck is rough, but hopefully a good one some day! I've replaced everything from the gas tank down to the carb, which I rebuilt (perhaps badly). So, there's no clogged filters and the pump is new. I've only run ethanol-free gas through it so far. Based in the condition of the carb (was really crusty and pitted on the inside), I'm hoping Santa Claus (or a thanksgiving turkey) will get me a rebuilt one. Just trying to eliminate other problems, such as something with the distributor.