6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old March 26th, 2016, 01:10 AM

Truck: 1963 surburban
sevenchevy is on a distinguished road
Default wiring question

I've re wired my 1963 surburban with a kwik wire harness. I want to use the exsisting gauges and I'm at a loss. I have an old set of gauges, hooked them up and they work. I did want to use the old gauges. Anybody have an idea where to go from here?
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: wiring question

Welcome Sevenchevy, are you saying you want to use the factory gauges or old aftermarket aka SW etc...

I'd get a factory manual or find the schematic to trace down the wires to splice into.
Photo's help as well to see what your working on.
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

You say "existing gauges" and you say "old gauges". What does "old gauges" mean? What gauges exactly do you want to hook up? What is the problem if they work? We need much better explanation please. You also need to specify each gauge and if it is mechanical or electrical. Each gauge will have different hookup requirements, different sender requirements.

Last edited by AZKen; March 27th, 2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old March 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM

Yeah sorry I didn't give much info. The new harness has gauge supply (+) and gauge sender wires. When I said old gauges,I took an old set of vdo gauges and temporarily hooked them up accordingly to harness instructions. They worked. When it comes to wiring the exsisting (factory) gauges the wire colors don't jive. After some trail and error I've got the gas gauge working as well as the temp. The factory tach has a green wire and a brown wire. All I have is a purple wire from my hei distributor. The other gauge I'm not sure about is the battery gauge. I've got a red and black wire. When I hook up the red to hot and the black to ground I blow the gauge fuse. When I hook up the vdo volt gauge temporarily it shows 12 volts. I could just use the volt gauge but don't want to. I hope maybe this clears things up.
Old March 27th, 2016, 06:41 PM

AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Don't think Factory 63 tach will work with HEI. You have converted to non voltage regulator/original ignition I suppose. Also most 63's have tell tale (idiot lights) for Gen and oil. Therefore senders are different for tell tale than for gauges. If you mean Amp gauge when you say battery gauge, follow wiring diagram for a amp gauge. Usually one to batt, one to alt. Not sure what you mean by "battery gauge". Voltage and AMP gauges hook up differently.
It's funny, when you say old gauges to an old guy it don't mean VDO. I was thinking same a Funky61, Stewart Warner. Also don't worry about colors, wire per function of the wire. How many actual original analog dial gauges in the instrument cluster? Be aware that PO's add gauges in the panel.

Last edited by AZKen; March 27th, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Attached you will see the dash on the 63 Suburban. As you can see, it says battery. Not sure it's an amp meter or volt meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (1.55 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Looks like you have the Deluxe cluster. Very nice. That would be an ammeter. It would be the best to obtain a schematic for 63 deluxe cluster and wire per. I probably should not advise because I don't know what changes there are in the electrical system. Don't know what motor or senders exist. It is said that ammeters should not be used with greater than 60 amp alt. Use Volt meter instead. It is also somewhat safer wiring.
BTW: This is a Chevy, right?

Last edited by AZKen; March 27th, 2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:51 PM

Yes. It is a chevy. I think i may just wire in the volt meter and be done with it. Thanks for your help,it is greatly appreciated. But i do only have a 60 amp alternator so maybe i will look for a wiring diagram. I'll keep you posted
Old March 28th, 2016, 04:16 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

GMC had a voltmeter they called a Bat-O-Meter, it could be made to be fitted on your left side of the cluster opposite to the Tach. I've seen one done to a Chevy before and it looked real good just like it belonged there.
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Good idea BBV6. BTW Chevy man, that left side is for a vacuum gauge and the clock was mounted on the dash. Pedestal style. Now those are really rare. Don't mind Chevy questions but the Stovebolt site is Chevy. Maybe more info there. They have a 60-66 forum.

Last edited by AZKen; March 28th, 2016 at 05:21 AM.