6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:25 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New 66 GMC ratrod project

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohounds View Post
A few things my husband didn't mention about the '66: it's MY baby and will retain all of it's unique GMC features on the body when it gets restored in a few years. The reason I want the 327 in it is because it's the motor out of my Dad's Chevelle and I used to work on it with him. The 351 does not run and even has some fabric sucked into the carb somehow. I'll sell it to someone who will appreciate it, but I really wanted something to put my Dad's motor in. He's been gone 5 years and this motor is a link directly to him that I cherish. I just want to get the truck back on the street and get that 327 back on the road too at the same time. I'm building a street rod, not a stocker so I think he picked the wrong message board. I don't want a Chevy truck, they are a dime a dozen and I grew up with a '57 GMC that I loved and wish I knew where it was. Don't shoot the messenger--this idea is all mine. I love old trucks and look forward to getting it back on the road again instead of sitting, rusting away in somebody's back yard.
Welcome from the Black Hills! It is your truck, and you are free to do with it as you please. I definitely understand your goal and desire to run your Dad's 327! I am working on a GMC that my Mom drove for 30 years and she has been gone 5 years now too. It is kinda cool in my opinion that you want a GMC to carry on your connection with your Dad! I am glad that you are concerned that the 351 goes to someone that has an appreciation for it, and you don't want to scrap it. One truck must lose an engine to help someone else who needs one.

An old friend of mine that I recently re-connected with on Facebook sent me this pic of a '57 GMC for sale up here in South Dakota last Thursday while we were out of town. I just responded to him last night when we got back but he hasn't let me know where he took the pic. I drive a '55---the darn water pump went out today in 95* heat!---LOL, but I got it home before it overheated! Anyway here is a pic of that '57 GMC for sale somewhere up here!

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randy-'57 GMC.jpg (145.1 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:57 AM

Truck: '66 GMC C1000
turbohounds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
That would really be cool if you could get another chevelle and drop that 327 in it. That 351 will probably run if you just pour a little gas in it and kick it good n hard. They don't die easy.

And you could do the chevelle in the Other Builds forum so we could watch it come to life!
Now this would be cool. If there were only unlimited budget and more space in the garage!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:04 AM

That looks just like my Dad's down to the color!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:03 AM

Truck: 1964 Fenderside 1000
Andice is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the group. Best of luck with your truck regardless of what you decide to do with it. This group is about more that just V6 engines as are the 60-66 GMCs. You may end up needing advice/input with body, rubber, glass, paint, wood, etc. Ask away.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andice View Post
Welcome to the group. Best of luck with your truck regardless of what you decide to do with it. This group is about more that just V6 engines as are the 60-66 GMCs. You may end up needing advice/input with body, rubber, glass, paint, wood, etc. Ask away.
Thank you! I'm sure we'll have questions as we go along.
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:21 AM

Truck: 1965 SWB Fleetside
jturk is on a distinguished road

Turbo,
Hey I have had some of the same problems with my build of a 65 GMC. As far as I'm concerned it's your truck and whatever you like and want to do is great. If there's someone out there who wants a 351 V6 for their truck it's also good for them. So good luck in your build and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:45 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andice View Post
Well, actually the group was originally formed for the V6 engines and the trucks they came in.

What many have found over the years is that suggesting pulling the v6 to replace with a chevy engine it that it will meet with a bit of hostility. Mostly because by pulling the GMC V6 out of it and putting a chevy engine in, you have pretty much removed the major reason to have a GMC over a Chevrolet.
The differences between the lines were, at the time, slowly going away (went away in '67).
So when someone says they like the GMC and not Chevrolet, but then take out the GMC portion, it makes people ask why?
Obvious differences between GMC and Chevrolet... Dash, motor, grill, hood turnsignals. The dash being the hardest to change (being welded in).

Some people don't understand it, yes it is your truck but if you really want a GMC, then leave it a GMC and don't make a Chevrolet out of it. That has been the predominant view since this group was founded, and a lot of members feel very strongly that way.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old August 26th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

David, Owning a 68 GMC I would have to say the differences really didn't go away until 1970. 1967-69 the V6 was still available, trucks were still being assembled in Pontiac Michigan, Dana rear axles were still used rather than corporate axles except on 69 1/2 ton trucks. There were differences in suspensions mainly on 4wd models. Power assist steering up to 68 and GMC specific colors like Palomino Tan, Terrace Blue and Ivory lasted till 1968.
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:54 AM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Anyway...Welcome to the group.

As many have mentioned, there are a few very unique (hard to find) parts--like the low-production hood itself. So be sure to neutralize the rust or consider a faux rust look to preserve the steel before clear coat.
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
David, Owning a 68 GMC I would have to say the differences really didn't go away until 1970. 1967-69 the V6 was still available, trucks were still being assembled in Pontiac Michigan, Dana rear axles were still used rather than corporate axles except on 69 1/2 ton trucks. There were differences in suspensions mainly on 4wd models. Power assist steering up to 68 and GMC specific colors like Palomino Tan, Terrace Blue and Ivory lasted till 1968.
Thanks. Since my knowledge only extends to '66 on these trucks and there was a major body change in '67 I *assumed* that was when the change took place. I knew the v6 continued on, but felt from the few experiences I have had with the later truck that the rest of the vehicle was the same. But thats what is good about the group, more people with more knowledge.
Should have asked you before I posted. since I know you have the later year truck.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500