6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old December 13th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1000 Custom
Rob Dale is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 GMC 1/2 6.2 diesel swap

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to find out if anyone has any info on swapping a GM 6.2 diesel into a '66 GMC 1/2 ton pick up. The 6.2 is out of my Dad's old 1993 GMC 1/2 ton pickup. My '66 currently has a chevy 454 big block in it now. I am not looking for the pros/cons about the 6.2 diesel engine itself, this drivetrain has been in the family a long time and has been a good performer. Dad is gone now so I would like keep his diesel going in my '66. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Hey, at least it will have a GMC engine back in it, lol.

Thanks again.

Rob Dale
Mustang, Oklahoma
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1966 GMC 1/2 6.2 diesel swap

I can't help with the swap, but good on you keeping your dad's truck alive. You'll just have to worry about motor mounts and trans adapters from what I know. You can have custom mounts made or you can fab something up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:39 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1000 Custom
Rob Dale is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I get questioned on why the 6.2 diesel, but when ever I hear it running it makes me think of my dad and all the years he used the truck to haul firewood in Florida. The '93 GMC 1/2 ton literally rotted away, frame, body, all that was really remaining was the drive train. I actually drove it to Oklahoma from Florida while Dad was still around, felt the floor flexing at times, lol, but it made all good and well. So anyways, thanks again and I will keep the forum posted on how this project unfolds.
Old December 13th, 2016, 07:08 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Haha, flexing floors over 900 miles. That'll pucker you up! Looking forward to seeing the progress. You'll be blazing a trail for anyone else in a similar situation.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 14th, 2016, 12:15 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Suburban 4x4
kchampagne is on a distinguished road

Your project sounds like a great idea! You might what to look around on the 67-72 Chevy trucks site. I believe there are quite a few diesel swap projects on there. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Old December 14th, 2016, 01:30 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't even worry about the 67-72 chevy sight. Reason being is the folks over there are so dang stuck on 350 chevys they think anything else is not worth it.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:40 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Your project sounds like a great idea! You might what to look around on the 67-72 Chevy trucks site. I believe there are quite a few diesel swap projects on there. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

No! bad kchampagne! Where's my squirt bottle?

Old December 14th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Suburban 4x4
kchampagne is on a distinguished road

Well, Rob asked for info on diesel swaps and I am not aware of any builds on here. Just trying to be responsive and help a brother out since I know there are a few done on that site. He didn't ask for a 350 swap. Geez.
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:35 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Well, Rob asked for info on diesel swaps and I am not aware of any builds on here. Just trying to be responsive and help a brother out since I know there are a few done on that site. He didn't ask for a 350 swap. Geez.

Haha!

Yeah, there's more swaps into chibbys all over the place, but this one's a GMC. That makes it special.

Old December 14th, 2016, 02:38 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No I totally understand! Didn't mean it to sound rude, just warning to OP that blokes over there tend to be stuck on the common things. 6.2's tend to be looked down upon over there just like the v6 cause they're all stuck on 350's. That's what I meant. Shoulda specified. My bad.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy: