6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old May 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Only had a couple of hours to get anything done on the truck this weekend, so other than pulling the radiator, I decded to take out the old rubber floor mat and get ready to put the 40/20/40 seats in I acquired.

So, i pulled these pieces on both sides...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

...to reveal this unexpected rust.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Not a body guy, so I don't know what needs to be done to repair those sections. Weld in new rocker panels? Patch pieces?

Went on to discover a few more holes under the rubber mat.

I found this odd...was tar paper a source of sound deadner back in the day? applied to the floor with tar?

I would like to take care of the floors issues before putting the seats in, but I need to haul a few things before the end of the week, so I'll be putting in the seats and pulling them back out later to address the ventilation issues...if the radiator can be salvaged.

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:47 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't have any of that newfangled tar sound suppressant installed. Prolly cost extra!

For the rust, take it down to bare metal with a wire wheel then spray Ospho on it to convert any microscopic pieces you missed. Then put primer or clear coat on it if youre dealing with it later.
The main thing is to get the rust thats on there off.
Then keep oxygen and moisture from getting to it again. I'm using Herculiner on my floor. It feels great on the feet (rubbery and textured) but I'm playing with Por 15 in a few weeks so I might go with that first, then herculiner as a top coat. i'm still undecided but it will end up with a herculiner top.

WDShaffer helped me with my painting questions. I think he does (or did) that kinda stuff for a living.

For holes, you just gotta weld them up or hire a kid to do it. Lots of young welders will work for pennies. If you think the holes are too huge you can buy repop (reproduction) pieces but I hear they're thinner and tough to cut to the right shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I'm using Herculiner on my floor. It feels great on the feet (rubbery and textured) but I'm playing with Por 15 in a few weeks so I might go with that first, then herculiner as a top coat. i'm still undecided but it will end up with a herculiner top.

WDShaffer helped me with my painting questions. I think he does (or did) that kinda stuff for a living.
Didn't think about Herculiner for a fancy rubbery feel. Might be to posh posh for me.

A guy here at work who has a few '69 Mustangs, '55 Fairlane, and '59 F100...yes he's a Ford guy...

...loves POR15. Their ads say "it will never rust again", but don't they all say that.

I picked up some POR15 to give it a shot on the floors, but that is when I thought I just had surface rust and one small hole to contend with; not slightly larger hole and rust in the channels along side the door seals.

Maybe WDShaffer will chime on in this topic

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Do you have a welder? Or a bud with one. Welding sheet metal is easy. Especially in places you can't see. Get a small grinder and some cut off wheels and cut out the crud and patch in new. Here is an hour of my life solving a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140505_194709.jpg (618.2 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)

Last edited by BarryGMC; May 13th, 2014 at 01:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have a welder? Or a bud with one. Welding sheet metal is easy. Especially in places you can't see. Get a small grinder and some cut off wheels and cut out the crud and patch in new. Here is an hour of my life solving a problem.
Nice! I do not. If I acquired one would it be a MIG welder?
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

A mig is nice. But gas works well with a bit of practice.especially on floors and trunks. I will give some tips later this week. I am in the middle of rental flip. Go gonzaga.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
A mig is nice. But gas works well with a bit of practice.especially on floors and trunks. I will give some tips later this week. I am in the middle of rental flip. Go gonzaga.
Cool!

No rush, though I'll be looking forward to it. I'll be slammed for a while myself. Heading to Dallas, TX this weekend, then maybe Savannah, GA, and have to head up/over to NC at some point.

Should get word on my radiator today. It was soaking in an acid bath at 4:30pm yesterday.

Got my seats bolted in. Of course, when I get a weekend to myself, they will come out again to tend to these rusty floor issues. The seat fit pretty good with the fuel tank still in the cab.

Of course if I were any taller, the tank would definitely have to be moved. I did have to make 4 standoffs of varying sizes to accommodate the front mounting brackets hanging over were the upper floor pan under the seat dives down to the lower portion where your feet go. Just used some square channel steel tubing for that. No pics, but will shoot some when they are pulled out again.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Well, the radiator shop called. Both the radiator and heater core are leaking like a pin cushion under pressure; so, not repairable.

I guess I am in the market for a radiator now

The heater core can wait for a long while.
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM

As stated in another thread...but I wanted to consolidate to my build thread.

"I did a lot of wire wheeling, degreasing, and metal prep on my floors. Then gave POR15 a go. I think it turned out good ...for now. When its time to fix things up right and I have learned a lot more, I can go back and cut out the bad spots and properly patch. For now, on the largest hole, I simply coated a piece of metal with the POR and between coats on the floor, screwed it down, and added another coat to everything. Right of wrong, I think I've stopped my floor pan rust for now. "

Some before's and after's are attached...for you Fetch!

With the largest hole shown in black and exposed is after one coat. With the hole covered is after the second coat.

I think the passenger side was in the worst shape due to a leaking heater core at some point in the trucks history. I also learned with all the recent rain that water is getting into the cab where the windshield wiper motor is mounted. So, I guess I need to pull that and put a new seal on it. I see where it is bolted under the dash, but I am not sure how to pull the vented piece between the hood and windshield to disconnect the wiper arms from it.

Also, while rewiring my lights...still in progress, parts should be in today

...I wanted to pull the white bar part of the grill that wraps around the headlights and has the GMC beneath it, but for the life of me I cannot see how that piece is mounted. Any tips??? The headlight bezels were rusting pretty good on the back side, so I addressed that and figured I might as well pull that whole section while I have it partially apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14380486442_4c3e01e817.jpg (110.9 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 14402086863_1b481f9397.jpg (73.0 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg 14381911775_1062c2c9de.jpg (78.9 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 14380945754_26e669c62f.jpg (70.5 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 14381911875_88c584d864.jpg (66.0 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
As stated in another thread...but I wanted to consolidate to my build thread.

Also, while rewiring my lights...still in progress, parts should be in today

...I wanted to pull the white bar part of the grill that wraps around the headlights and has the GMC beneath it, but for the life of me I cannot see how that piece is mounted. Any tips??? The headlight bezels were rusting pretty good on the back side, so I addressed that and figured I might as well pull that whole section while I have it partially apart.
You are going to love this...

There are 4 bolts holding that assembly in place. 2 on each side.
They go into it from the backside. I think both bolts each side are accessible from the inside of the front fender well.
Or...
One each side from inside of fender, and one each side from inside the engine compartment.
Its been a while since I removed/replaced one.
mailto:

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500