6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:24 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 62 GMC build

Thank you for the pictures and blow by blow on the fuel system. Who was the supplier for the new tank? That will be my next project in the "start up", and I'll have something to refer to. I'm working on a 23 year barn storage situation so it'll be real interesting to see what kind of gobly gook is in that tank!
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road

Tuckers in Las Vegas. They are a mail order company and so far they have what I need in stock.

A couple things I can think of...

Make note of the length of the filler neck before you disassemble it. The replacement hose I bought was quite a bit longer than the one it replaced. I pushed it farther down the neck of the fuel tank and pushed the other part farther into it to achieve the same length as original.

Assemble everything mentioned above before you install the tank in the vehicle. Then raise up the opposite end of the tank to get the fill assembly through the hole in the body. The hose clamps are difficult to reach when it is in position . That is why you want it close to the original length and already tightened.

I WD-40ed the grommet in the body to allow the fill tube to slide through easier.

This is what worked for me but it is the first one I have done so there might be better ways.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:06 PM

I decided it was time to soften the ride a little.
As I mentioned before its days of hard work are over and I wouldn't mind it sitting a little lower. It has a lotta rake and it is still pretty firm with too much rebound.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I already removed the quarter eliiptic helpers which has no effect on ride height but did effect ride.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next to go are these coil over/helper spring/shock absorbers...

I have a pair of stock Jeep(TJ) rear springs but I already know they are too soft.
I also have a pair of newer Jeep(JK) springs for a 4door Rubicon. They are longer and a thicker coil. Neither of them look like much compared to the stock spring.

I had a couple sets of shocks with potential but the KYB gas adjusts are pretty close to the right length.

So I slapped it all together... The 50 year old bolts didn't give too big of a fight and I'm not bleeding

BEFORE

AFTER

Old September 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Old September 11th, 2013, 03:50 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice

Now that's a Great shot! Nice work TD.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Look for a set of 1/2 ton coils. The 67-72 chevys are pretty easy to find.
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks! ...cell phone camera. I was trying to get a sunrise shot but the rain chased it away. Maybe rainbows are to make up for it?

Quote:
Look for a set of 1/2 ton coils. The 67-72 chevys are pretty easy to find.
I will look for some. I was mostly experimenting with what I had on hand. I have a 63 1/2 ton but I'm selling it back to my friend I got it from. Maybe I can get them from him...
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM

I took the intake and valve covers off to see if the all-thread that was in the motor did any obvious damage

No sludge!
The intake gaskets were wet with fuel and the bolts weren't very tight. The vacuum line going to the tranny was loose also.
I decided to change the plugs while I was rooting around in that greasy mess. I was about half way done when I noticed this

I pulled a plug out of each spare motor and they were long like the new ones so I proceeded. I also checked part numbers on Rock Auto and didn't see a year difference.
When I was done it ran and shifted much better!

I also wanted to lower the front a little so I turned the torsions down some...then I went some more just to see how it would look. I decided to put the TJ rear coils in...

I like it! The nice thing is I can put the stock springs and shocks in the rear and crank up the torsions in about 20 minutes and it would be back to a functioning ¾ ton truck.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:10 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Original plugs were 3/8 inch so they didn't smack the pistons. Lots 305s had probs after someone stuck long plugs in them and they hit the pistons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Original plugs were 3/8 inch so they didn't smack the pistons. Lots 305s had probs after someone stuck long plugs in them and they hit the pistons.

This is the first I have heard of that! I think I will go pull one and see if it is smashed shut? It is still running great...