6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 4th, 2016, 08:26 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Man Trans stuck in gear

Hey guys, thanks for the interest and the help.

So I pulled the shifter and tried to line some stuff up in there and didn't get anywhere with that. I think I found out why when I pulled the top off the trans.

This trans has the E-brake lever on the right side attached to the top cover. So we did our best to just lift the top cover and slide the gears in neutral and put the cover back and after several tries we were unsuccessful. We were finally able to find the room between the trans and the body to get the top of the trans completely out you must have to have your tongue just right but when its ready it comes out and goes back fine.

So here is what was wrong, is was the reverse slide in the top of the trans. Somehow the shop got the mechanism out of sync in the top of the trans apparently between reverse and what I will call first gear and we had to help the mechanism in the top of the trans in the neutral position with a hammer. Once all three of those slides in the top are in a neutral position and then all the collars in the trans have to be in a neutral position with the reverse lever going to that cluster of gears in the bottom lining up with the neutral potion you just put in neutral in the top of the trans when you put it all together you should be home free.
We had two people, one holding the top of the trans and the other lining things up on the right side of the trans paying attention also to the reverse lever as things went together.

Hope this helps somebody down the road, I think its the first time I have ever had the top off of a transmission but cant me sure as my memory cant be trusted. The guy with me is an excellent mechanic and he never had one of these apart to it took us a minute to figure out that the reverse mechanism was what was jamming things up. I was surprised we had to beat the top slides into position, but it was just a tight transmission I think. When you get it all apart and start figuring things out it will start making since. I anybody has any questions PM me and we can talk about it as I assume you wont be close enough I can come help.
Old December 6th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

I think I know what you said but there is a large access, floor sheet metal transmission cover and there is a actual top to the transmission. I assume you first tried to align the slides just thru the small shifter hole? Then took off the floor transmission cover, then took off the top of the transmission? I understand you have a Trans Band type ebrake, not a under dash horizontal ebrake lever. Maybe you have some kind of carpeting and didn't remove the floor access cover?

Last edited by AZKen; December 6th, 2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old December 6th, 2016, 10:27 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
I think I know what you said but there is a large access, floor sheet metal transmission cover and there is a actual top to the transmission. I assume you first tried to align the slides just thru the small shifter hole? Then took off the floor transmission cover, then took off the top of the transmission? I understand you have a Trans Band type ebrake, not a under dash horizontal ebrake lever. Maybe you have some kind of carpeting and didn't remove the floor access cover?
Thank you for correcting the instructions you requested I post. I did the best I could with my public high school education.
I did not feel the need to talk about carpet, foam doughnut seal on top of the transmission, bolt sizes nor re sealing and I probably should have mentioned the removable floor pan over the top loader for access. Although I think that if someone finds themselves in this situation these steps become obvious during the course of the repair so maybe their mention is either irrelevant or they confuse things with too much information. Guess that is your judgement call there?

Thanks for your attention to detail.

Jay
Old December 7th, 2016, 01:00 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Not your fault Jay, My fault. Just did not understand this part. Thought that the floor cover hole was big enough for this step. Good job.
Happy Holidays!

"We were finally able to find the room between the trans and the body to get the top of the trans completely out you must have to have your tongue just right but when its ready it comes out and goes back fine. "

Last edited by AZKen; December 7th, 2016 at 01:16 AM.