6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: 1962 GMC dually
GMC-HDV6 is on a distinguished road
Default 305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ?

Pistons ? Rods ? Valves ? Lifters ? Camshaft ? Bearings ? Rings ? Gaskets and seals ?

I'm curious where you guys are getting your parts for these engines. I been told by many engine shops "enjoy it while its running and throw it away when it wears out" disheartening . . .

This really how these GMC-V6s are ? !
Mike
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ?

401 pistons are being reproduced at least for this displacement, there's a set of these on ebay. Talking about ebay a lot of other V6 engine parts like gaskets and bearings frequently show up. As far as valves you don't necessarily have to ones specific to the GMC V6, one member is using valves from a Caterpillar Diesel, the advantage there is eliminating the hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valves that snap from over-revving. NOS parts have definitely diminished over the last couple of years but with perserverence you can find them. I'm always searching and it's too the point I've got enough parts to fully rebuild a 351E, 401M and another 478M that I have. Mills engine in Louisiana had quite a few parts and even a fully rebuilt 379 about 2 years ago, problem was most of their pistons are standard size. Another source would be ThunderV12.com, true most of their parts are for the 702 V12 which shares many parts with the 351 V6 but they're basically remanufacturing the V12's.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:20 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Other things to bring up is rods can be resized, lifters are interchangeable with the 235 Chevrolet inline six, you can even switch over to hydraulic lifters provided the cam is reground for that application, I had my 478M's cam reground to a performance grind and even the solid lifters were refaced for it A donor engine just for parts can be a great help.
Old March 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Temporarily Suspended

Well I'm going to be restoring the truck in which this 305D V6 is located. Its been running great for years and years. If going to set a freshly painted rust free body around the V6 I'd like the engine to also be freshly rebuilt with all new parts as well.

I have a 305D V6 the 140hp/260tq net power version
Mike
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Kantor used to carry rebuild kits for the 305V6. I don't see them on there now but you can try emailing them

www.kanter.com

I bought an extra engine to have spare parts on hand. There's one on Ebay in Texas for 200 bux.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended

A parts engine ? ! Like a piston from this one and rod from that one ? ! I don't much like the sounds of that idea myself really.

Something about rebuilding an engine with used parts seems a bit counter productive.
Mike
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Think about it. When these engines were built it was mass produced. Racks of parts put in thousands of engines. I have built tons of engines. Its all about the #s. If the #s are good it does not mater. I have rebuilt Rolls Royce engines which are truely hand built. One man one engine!!!! Its all about the #s!!! I have engines running back to the 20's and every engine I have Has 2 or 3 parts engines on hand. Soon I will fix a 27 white truck engine. Its standard. It has a cracked piston at the wrist pin. all of the piston I have are .30 over. I will bore that hole and wiegh the piston and match the weight. Simple! I have seen so many engines that went through the factory repair shop for casting repairs or whatever that I have no problem with fixing this stuff to run well. DONT OVER THINK IT.
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended

I wouldn't be running. One cylinder .030 over and the rest standard, They'd all be bored out .030 over that sounds cobbled up to me. Actually sounds worse than a rebuild with used parts.

I guess I will run it like the engine shop said, once it quits running put another engine in its place.
Mike
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I just heard back from Kantor

Quote:
We currently do not offer a full rebuild kit for the 305 V6 due to availability of the pistons rod bearings and valves. We hope to have some parts re-manufactured in the future but no ETD on those.

We do still offer individual parts. Our catalog has the most current pricing and we can send one out for free.
Looks like they have some parts. You could cobble one together.

Here's this from the archives

Finding parts cheap and US made
Merle's Carburetor Inc in Portland, Oregon 97202 - 503-232-6511.
Central Cylinder Head Repair, Portland
http://centralcylinderheadinc.com/
American made Bearings& Seals Applied Bearing Portland (no chinese auto parts store junk, please)
driveline straightening / fabrication portland (I havve a friend that is really cheap) but otherwise www.drivelinetech.com/
or http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp
Dana/Warn parts (including screws, etc)
http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp
You might convince Mike Locicero aat Import Auto to work on your Dana 60's, xfer cases, xmissions, steering and suspension 971 207 0573 - he has a gear hob&
shaper tor fabbing custom gears
clutch, brake relining, water pumps http://www.autofriction.com/
U bolts Benz Spring http://www.benzspring.com/ (you will need them...)
Manual xmission parts http://www.alltransmission.com/
Automatic xmission parts http://nwtparts.com/
Any xmisssion rebuild -- Beaverton All Transmission - (expensive but it works)
nationwide warranty http://www.beavertonalltransmission.com/
17 gauge muffler CanbyMuffler 825 Southwest 1st Avenue Canby, OR 97013-3824
(503) 266-6066 (Midas is thinner)
Steering gear http://www.steeringgearrepair.com/
Misc Autoinstruments.com
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended

As long as you don't need rod bearings, Valves, or pistons from the sounds of it . . .

Mike