6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old February 1st, 2015, 01:05 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1966 c20

And the wipers are a go! I found out that the generic wipers CANT work right on the wiper arms with an adapter. With about an hour and a half of time in the parts store they finally found and got me some "classic" wipers. But hey, they work!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GMC Hunting - I'll get my hands on one of 'em eventually.
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:41 AM

I have come to the realization that my tail lights no-longer work! not even my brake lights! I'm not entirely sure what's going on yet, as far as whether it is wiring or what, but i even tried wiring my blinkers in and the only working lights on the entire truck as of now are the headlights. at least i have wipers now though.

New update, apparently they work, but they are very very dim! easy to see at night though. When i turn on my left blinker my right tail light goes out, right blinker / off position does nothing. i used to bullet connectors and re-attached my cut wires for the front blinker harness to no avail, no front blinkers either. When i get the chance I'm going to try and tear into the switch and see if it's easily fixed.

On a happy note, O'reillys has a fuse block with the same number of fuses as my stock one for around $5.00. I wonder how hard that would be to wire up.

Last edited by Hantke; February 1st, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 10:31 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Hi Hantke, you have really been getting a lot of stuff done on the old truck! It probably wouldn't hurt to pull out your inside fresh air vents as there may be a bunch of pine needles and debris collected down there too, judging by what you cleaned from under the cowl.

Check all the grounds on your rear lights as that is a real common problem on old rides. Make sure the sockets and bulb contacts are clean also.

If your old fuse block isn't burned up I really don't think you would need to replace it.

Thanks for the updates. Glad you are having fun with the old truck!

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Hi Hantke, you have really been getting a lot of stuff done on the old truck! It probably wouldn't hurt to pull out your inside fresh air vents as there may be a bunch of pine needles and debris collected down there too, judging by what you cleaned from under the cowl.

Check all the grounds on your rear lights as that is a real common problem on old rides. Make sure the sockets and bulb contacts are clean also.

If your old fuse block isn't burned up I really don't think you would need to replace it.

Thanks for the updates. Glad you are having fun with the old truck!

DAC
Thanks, good call! I pushed the hose all the way down the vent and started flooding the cab (I had NO idea the fresh air vents came from the cowl, I thought it would pull up from under the engine bay or something). Luckily my doors were open so I caught on pretty quickly. I ended up pushing it down again and ran it till it was just a clean water stream. probably just means all thats left is the really tight packed nasty stuff!

I've heard about the grounds, but I wasn't really sure where to look. I've been hearing everything from the dimmer switch to just screw a wire in on the frame and on the body. or attach a wire from the light housing to the body / frame. I'm going to load up my tool box again and spend the afternoon working on it and deciphering the wiring (still no Volt-O-Meter, but i got a test light!). I've still got a roll of wire and I need to bring those plugs into the house and solder up some better connections for my wiper motor! i'd also like to get some black wire since all I have currently is red. I did notice a new issue last night going down the road, all my lights went out! i did a quick double tap of the bright switch and they flicked right back on, so i'll have to figure that one out one of these days!

I'm actually really enjoying working on this truck, my neighbors think im crazy because I'm out there at odd times ranging from 6 AM to midnight, The work shop is now down for the count so I'm working in the street in front of my house now.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

My fuse box is a horrible mess right now and i'm afraid to take it apart, i might not get everything wired back together! though i'll have to get around to it one of these days. I also looked into the BUS-bar replacement for the fuse box, do i need to use inline fuses for this? it seems weird to me.

I've been eyeing the digital shop manual on a CD for $30 from LMC, 63-66 manual plus all of the supplements seems like a not-to-bad deal. perhaps my budget will allow it one of these days.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:29 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

You're welcome, Hantke! I currently don't own one of these trucks so I don't want to get too detailed about the electrics and normally when I get done writing what I know my explainations become clear as used motor oil!

My '55 GMC grounds through the frame and sheet metal, so on a lot of the stuff, there is no ground wire. It is the negative side of your battery. Without a ground or a dirty ground electrical components will not work or in the case of lights, resistance in the ground will make a dim and erratic light. The dimmer switch does sound like it is dirty or corroded since you were able to get them back after the double-tap. I think they are pretty cheap. I haven't had to buy one for quite awhile.

A bus bar sounds like a "jumper" to eliminate the fuses and I sure wouldn't recommend it and yes if you used it all electrical components would require individual fusing. Your test light won't do a great job finding bad grounds but it can be done. An ohm meter can tell faster if grounds are bad.

Do you have a Harbor Freight Tools store in your area? Sometimes they have Volt-Ohm-Amp meters like this one free with a coupon but normal price I think is around 10 bucks. I rely on HF a lot.

That shop manual would be a good idea probably but I really can't say there.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volt-Ohm meter.jpg (2.14 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:41 AM

Yeah I've gone through about 5 volt meters from them, I'm really missing my fluke one from a few years back. Kicking myself pretty hard for selling it right now. I just didn't know how the lights grounded, basically I just need to figure out how to ground it properly. I've got the wires now, so I can at least wire my wiper motor thankfully! I just got a notebook for the truck and once I find my straight edge I'll get to work on drawing up what I know about my current wiring as I go. Sometimes it helps to see it on paper

Old February 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM

So no real progress as of yet, been home sick and doing homework. One of my awesome (read obnoxious) neighbors decided they don't like my truck and have been repeatedly calling the sheriff to report it abandoned (mind you, it's sitting in front of my house where they used to tell all their visitors with loud fart can Hondas to park). I think someone is getting a little jealous now! Sheriff was nice, he stopped by while I was gone and had common sense to realize it is registered to the address it is sitting in front of (who would have thought???). So for now that's this weeks update. Hoping to take it to my friends birthday this weekend now.

Old February 4th, 2015, 07:14 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks, good call! I pushed the hose all the way down the vent and started flooding the cab (I had NO idea the fresh air vents came from the cowl, I thought it would pull up from under the engine bay or something). Luckily my doors were open so I caught on pretty quickly.

That got me rolling! Man you're really tearing through the projects. Makes me feel all motivated and stuff! Come on, spring!

Quote:
So no real progress as of yet, been home sick and doing homework. One of my awesome (read obnoxious) neighbors decided they don't like my truck and have been repeatedly calling the sheriff to report it abandoned (mind you, it's sitting in front of my house where they used to tell all their visitors with loud fart can Hondas to park). I think someone is getting a little jealous now! Sheriff was nice, he stopped by while I was gone and had common sense to realize it is registered to the address it is sitting in front of (who would have thought???). So for now that's this weeks update. Hoping to take it to my friends birthday this weekend now.

Those are the best neighbors, aren't they? Mine was like that to our previous owners. When we moved in I invited them over for Pizza and we've been "friends" ever since. I even helped them unload a big desk the other day.

Maybe you can catch them outside and if they're older, ask them if they've ever had an older truck like this. You might get a story out of them.
Or ask them if they can hold something for you to get them involved. Might work. Then again, they might just groan at you and wander off muttering about global warming and soy bean farts. Oregon ain't what she used to be.

At least you tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:

That got me rolling! Man you're really tearing through the projects. Makes me feel all motivated and stuff! Come on, spring!

Those are the best neighbors, aren't they? Mine was like that to our previous owners. When we moved in I invited them over for Pizza and we've been "friends" ever since. I even helped them unload a big desk the other day.

Maybe you can catch them outside and if they're older, ask them if they've ever had an older truck like this. You might get a story out of them.
Or ask them if they can hold something for you to get them involved. Might work. Then again, they might just groan at you and wander off muttering about global warming and soy bean farts. Oregon ain't what she used to be.

At least you tried.
I'm trying to be nice here, but I know who did it, one of my neighbors (the one with the V6 mustang) thinks he is a drag racer and drives 40 MPH through the neighborhood and tries to "drift" corners and do burnouts infract of the house at 2AM on a regular basis, but we are unincorporated so the cops don't care. He used to have his obnoxious friends park in front of my house and they have no respect. He would also regularly park partially blocking my driveway as well, so i just parked the truck there and suddenly he couldn't do that anymore. Plus one of the neighbors called the cops him and they talked to me last, then as he pulled in (it was great, he came around the corner onto our street with the engine red-lining getting ready to try yet again to peel out until he saw the cop) the cop went to go talk to him so he's been regularly accusing me of stupid stuff. at one point he actually called them claiming I was "storing illegal activities in my garage". Now, I don't know how you store an activity, but I really don't care. I showed the officer around and offered to let him look through the cabinets or boxes or whatever and he politely declined and we talked about dune buggies for a while then he left. Out of the whole development there is literally one house with nice neighbors, the rest are out at midnight or later yelling and screaming at each other to shut up while they are blaring loud music so they have to yell louder to yell over it. it sucks.
Old February 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'm trying to be nice here, but I know who did it, one of my neighbors (the one with the V6 mustang) thinks he is a drag racer and drives 40 MPH through the neighborhood and tries to "drift" corners and do burnouts infract of the house at 2AM on a regular basis, but we are unincorporated so the cops don't care. He used to have his obnoxious friends park in front of my house and they have no respect. He would also regularly park partially blocking my driveway as well, so i just parked the truck there and suddenly he couldn't do that anymore. Plus one of the neighbors called the cops him and they talked to me last, then as he pulled in (it was great, he came around the corner onto our street with the engine red-lining getting ready to try yet again to peel out until he saw the cop) the cop went to go talk to him so he's been regularly accusing me of stupid stuff. at one point he actually called them claiming I was "storing illegal activities in my garage". Now, I don't know how you store an activity, but I really don't care. I showed the officer around and offered to let him look through the cabinets or boxes or whatever and he politely declined and we talked about dune buggies for a while then he left. Out of the whole development there is literally one house with nice neighbors, the rest are out at midnight or later yelling and screaming at each other to shut up while they are blaring loud music so they have to yell louder to yell over it. it sucks.
I thought you meant crotchety old people. I HATE punk kids (or 40 yr old kids) that act like that. Not much you can do but move unfortunately. I guess you could seed the road with roofing nails and wd-40 (drift that, punk!) but that might be considered illegal.

The house next to me is for sale. I'll split the moving truck with ya!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.