6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old October 7th, 2016, 04:42 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default interior door latch issues

Anyone have problems getting the inside door handle latch to engage the door lock? I can't seem to get the door handle to release the lock?

These are all new after market parts?
Thoughts?
Old October 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: interior door latch issues

Nothing fits and functions better than original parts. I use NOS or good used original wherever I can. I'm not doing a show quality restoration, so it makes things a lot easier.
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:14 PM

jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I'll have to track some down. Crap, got to pull the glass out of the door...
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM

I dug through all my spare parts and found one of the old linkages. Slipped it on and it works perfect. I then matched it up to the new aftermarket part. The size and length at exact. The problem comes in on the coiled spring, it does not seen to allow the linkage to travel far enough to trip the lock release.

I put in a call to a OEM parts house to pick up a driver's side one.

Jake
Old October 10th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Ok,we think we figured out what the problem is. The OEM door release is operated by a spring and moves the linkage forward and backward. The NEW aftermarket setup DOES NOT move the linkage forward enough to trip the release spring on the door lock. I had one OEM linkage for the passenger side and it works perfectly.

Side by side they are identical, but the spring just does not work correctly. It's possible that the springs is just too hard/tight, but you are taking a chance of striping the teeth off of the new shaft part (trashy soft metal). I see now way to adjust the spring.

I reached out to RJ Sisneros in Colorado for a OEM linkage.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/...psqagr1wjl.jpg

Jake
Old October 10th, 2016, 04:34 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough

Glad you found the problem. If you are talking about the man in Crowley, Colorado, I have bought a few parts from him. He is reasonable and good to deal with. Some of his trucks are out in a field which is home to some rattlesnakes.
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:43 PM

Yep, RJ is good people! ****, I just about got a whole truck from him over the years.....