6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:48 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road
Default Onuma's '66 1000 (Lotsa Pics)

A few of you have read about my woes & successes, but I'll list the build progress (occasionally a lack thereof) here.

In 2012 I purchased my 1966 GMC 1000 Custom pickup. She rolled off the line from Pontiac, Michigan with an inline 6 (L6 250, I'm guessing, from the VIN: I1002PD15995A ), 3 speed column shifter (SM-318?), in Light Blue w/ white cab accents. She must have been a sight to see in her prime.

By the time I found her, she had been neglected at best and abused at worst. Someone painted her with an ugly red enamel paint, used her hood as a work bench for spray painting other parts, and then left her sitting in a yard for a couple of decades. Rotten tires, tons of rust, stuck carb, and more. I brought her to a new home.

Could have been a lot worse, but there's a lot of good metal & glass to work with here -- along with a very good frame:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Fast forward a couple of months, after I put on some new (read: used) tires and did a few minor things, my crazy-cat-lady neighbor smashes up the glass at 2 in the morning! Driver's door glass and windshield were done...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Luckily, the crazy lady was apprehended that night, where I ID'ed her as the culprit. She confessed to the local magistrate. It took me several months to testify against the neighbor in criminal court, for various reasons (mostly her lack of showing up, or otherwise delaying), so I didn't see any restitution $$$ until almost a year later. Windshield & door glass were replaced.

At the same time as the glass was being replaced, I had a rebuilt carb put on and the gas tank & sending unit replaced.

Next area to tackle was the front fenders. Both had various degrees of rot at the bottom, but the LH side was abhorrently worse. Someone had attempted to repair it at some point by putting bondo over some kind of substrate which had rotted away, leaving nothing but a shell of body filler. Being that I was in an auto body welding class at the local community college, I decided to put my newly-acquired skills to work.

Before:

After (before primer and just a test fitting w/out bolts):

Next up, I needed something smaller to focus in on. I decided to shave the antenna off (there's no radio anyway), so I took off the RH cowl cover panel, used my cutoff wheel to take away the rusty old antenna fitting, and plugged it in with a steel slug.

Then I had to weld a lot of pot holes from that panel, which once-upon-a-time was filled with pine needles, leaves, and bee hives. Tons of rusty spots here, pot holes, and an overly-complex design made it a paintstaking task.

Partially complete:

I had just finished welding, grinding, dolly & hammering, body filling, sanding...
then right after I hit her with the first coat of epoxy primer in the spray booth, another guy comes along, spraying a different part, and puts his butt right on my freshly-primed panel! He didn't do it on purpose, but now I have to sand it all smooth and do it again next week.

You can see some of the smudges, but I put a second coat of primer on top and let it dry. It doesn't look too bad, considering.

That's all I have for now. I'll be sure to share more as I make progress.

Last edited by Onuma; April 17th, 2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:57 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Onuma's '66 C-1000 (Lotsa Pics)

Heck of a deal with the cat lady. Some people just shouldn't breath public air, ya know?

But it looks like you rescued a winner there. With your schoolin' I can't wait to see the progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 17th, 2015, 01:05 AM

Thanks!

I'm glad I have a dog who was alerted to the noise outside...I caught the lady just as she put a brick through the glass, and the cops came within a few minutes to pick her up. No better security system than canine

I am definitely looking forward to turning this truck into a gem. Even better that I'll be able to do most of the work myself.
Old April 17th, 2015, 03:18 AM

Can an admin/moderator correct my thread title. I mistakenly put "'66 C-1000" where it should just be "'66 1000"
Old April 17th, 2015, 04:16 AM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can an admin/moderator correct my thread title. I mistakenly put "'66 C-1000" where it should just be "'66 1000"
Nice work! Wish granted. You have two remaining.

-Jeannie

Old April 17th, 2015, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Onuma's '66 1000 (Lotsa Pics)

Something tells me that isn't the first time you've played on the Jeannie/Genie thing

Super moderator, indeed!

Thank you.
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Here is the back of that patched fender, btw. The reinforcement piece was completely gone when I got it...so I just tacked it down. Not a perfect fix, but it works for now.

Old April 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

of the engine!!!!!

though! lol

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old April 19th, 2015, 06:13 AM

Fair enough. Ask and ye shall receive!

Someone plunked in a 1977 305 V8 at some point. I'd have preferred the original 250 (assuming that's what was in there), but it doesn't make sense to shell out dough to replace the [running] engine at this point.

You can see that the radiator mount and fan shroud are someone's project, made from galvanized steel and self-tapping screws. Not exactly a stellar job, but it works.
Old April 27th, 2015, 10:32 PM

My work was postponed by a week, at least.

My son (2 y/o) decided to jab me in the eye with his thumb. Scratched up nearly a quarter of my cornea, which rendered me ****-near blind and out of commission for almost a week. I couldn't safely work in the lab with all of that dust, solvent, and other junk in the air. I'm mostly healed up now, but that was a very long week.

I'll get back to that cowl cover panel ASAP, but the semester ends after next week so I won't have access to the auto body lab for the summer unless I register for another class (not the plan, at the moment).

Hopefully I'll have the dough to get a few air tools together so I can make short(er) work of this over the summer. I'd like to have a small ventilated area for me to be able to paint with a spray gun, which probably means installing a new fan in the basement.