6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM

Truck: 1965 gmc wideside
randallgrunert is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch for T5

Hello all

Finally got my t5. It's out of an 85 v8 camero. I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I start getting the old tranny out. I've built my shifter relocater. and I'm ready to order my clutch and new pressure plate. Here is where I get confused. I know I have to change out my clutch disk to a 26 spline and figure i'll change out the pressure plate at the same time. Well NAPA say's they have to sell me both clutch kits one for my 305 and on for the camero. I will use the pressure plate from the 305 kit and the clutch from the camero kit. Another parts house said just get a Camero clutch kit and it will bolt right up they think. I have read on the forum I will need to mill the hub on the Camero disk. If anyone can help I will be forever in their debt. Also I have a WW Stromberg Carb in good shape if anyone is in need.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clutch for T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallgrunert View Post
Hello all

Well NAPA say's they have to sell me both clutch kits one for my 305 and on for the camero. I will use the pressure plate from the 305 kit and the clutch from the camero kit. Another parts house said just get a Camero clutch kit and it will bolt right up they think. I have read on the forum I will need to mill the hub on the Camero disk. If anyone can help I will be forever in their debt.
Most parts places will go straight to the 305 v8 and pretend you miscounted the cylinders. Thus the advice to just buy the one kit.

I know they have sold just the clutch disc in the past, so I don't know why they would insist on selling an entire kit.
I would make sure that when they talk 305 that they are looking at a GMC only 305v6.

I know I bought a disc for my 305, but I also know that the company doesn't produce it anymore (although it is a simple swap of the cone, if you have a press). As for the Camaro disc, no direct personal knowledge so I don't have any idea.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:33 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallgrunert View Post
Another parts house said just get a Camero clutch kit and it will bolt right up they think.
I think so too. Pressure plate bolt patterns are pretty well standardized, and I believe the 305 flywheel takes the "11 inch" size which is actually 12-5/8" across. If your Camaro kit is an 11 inch, the bolt circle should be good for the V-6. Your other concern is the finger height, as that determines which release bearing you have to use. Take a look at the Camaro kit and check the pressure plate.

You are already aware of the modification you will need to do on the disc hub. A rebuilder can put together a correct 26 spline disc for the GMC, but you aren't going to find one at a parts store.

Ray
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Here is how I look at it. If the clutch was still good simply get a 10.5 or 11 inch 26 spline disk and remove enough or the hub to clear the pilot bushing. Both sizes work with the pressure plate. Not all hubs are the same some may only need a little bit removed some more. You can get a disk and new throw out bearing for about 80.00 bucks. You can also get a pilot bearing that has the same ID and OD but is .125 thinner this usually is enough on these gmc flywheels for most disks. Sorry I did not respond to your pm but it is hard for me to encourage the use of these POS transmissions. Barry
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road

Barry is right. If you can find a "real" parts store (or better yet, a clutch rebuilder) that will sell you only the disc, you should be able to use it with your present pressure plate.

That's exactly what I did when I installed my POS T-5 12 years ago that hasn't given me a moment's worth of trouble since then.

Ray
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

It is getting harder to do this with the parts stores that only sell kits, but you can buy disks online.
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Truck: 1965 gmc wideside
randallgrunert is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys
I have found a shop that I can get a **** made, flywheel turned and balanced and get mydriveshaft turned all at the same time. Price for all is around $200.00. Again thanks