6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:17 PM

Truck: 1966 1000 stepside
kepi is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions wanted

I've got 2 things that I have been thinking about for the past few days. First, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the driver's side rear fender with the spare tire cutout, or change to one without. I've seen both, but I don't have a spare tire (or mounting bracket) and it looks empty with nothing there. So I would end up having to buy 5 wheels and tires, so everything matches. Second is the gas tank. I want to change to the under the body type, but I'm not sure where the gas filler hole would go. If anybody has any opinions and pictures of what they've done I'd like to hear and see them.
Thanks, Jeff
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:12 PM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions wanted

I think it's a no-brainer if you are going to put your tank under the bed. Your spare goes on the fender unless you really LIKE driving around without one.
That's where I have mine and I don't even have the tank moved yet. My plan is to have the filler come up through the stake pocket, but I haven't got all the bugs worked out and that is what's holding up moving the tank.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; June 12th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:59 AM

Truck: 1966
phelan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions wanted

I have a fleetside bed and my spare tire is mounted in the rear passenger corner of the bed, I believe from the factory. I also have 3 tanks in my truck, one behind the seat and 2 on either side under the bed in front of the rear tires. The two under the bed have no visible fillers; the filler is under the wheel well in front of rear tire. I don't particularly like any of the things I described to you. I want to get rid of the tank behind the seat, but I also wNt to run dual exhaust on either side in front of the tires,and don't want it to heat my gas. So I'll likely get rid of all three and put something between the framerails..
Old June 16th, 2013, 02:03 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Opinions wanted

Jeff, I'll let the fuel experts talk about tank placement, but regarding the spare tire location. I looked close at your inital picture showing the right side of your nice truck. I can't tell what kind of wheels are on there, but I'm thinkin' a guy could certainly find one somewhere out there. Especially with all the technical resources we have now days. Secondly, up until about 5 years ago, I didn't much care for the look of some old honkin' spare tire sitting up there where everybody could see it stick out like a sore thumb, and it was destroyin' the nice lines of the truck. I have since changed my mind about that (probably age related) and now prefer to have that ol" spare sittin right there where it should be. Why?? Cause it's a truck my brother, it's a truck!! It's not a sleek, sassy lookin' car of the sixties. But in this case since it is "your" truck, you can certainly do whatever you want as you are the one who gets to look at it everyday and it should make you happy. Give us all a good closeup picture of those wheels and we'll start looking around for you should you decide to go that route. Secondly, if you should find the original mounting hardware for the spare on those Fendersides,,I sure could use some as mine is missing. Now then, In the mean time while we are trying to get this all sorted out, I'll just lay the spare wheel/tire down in the truck bed. Bob C. in Northern CA