6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:27 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Glove Box Inserts

Have any of you used the repop glove box innards? I'm talking about the box that bolts inside the door and holds your stuff.

I see they're made like the original with particleboard and I'm wondering if they get a splash of rain on them from my less than perfect window gaskets if they'll fall apart in the floorboards.
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM

Vernski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Glove Box Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Have any of you used the repop glove box innards? I'm talking about the box that bolts inside the door and holds your stuff.

I see they're made like the original with particleboard and I'm wondering if they get a splash of rain on them from my less than perfect window gaskets if they'll fall apart in the floorboards.
Yes even the old original were prone to moisture and warp out of shape and probley fall out on the floor if wet enough and I don't think they make any water proof one's even the repop's but they may never hurt's to ask a supplier. It would be better to fix the leaks first because the water causes rust and other problems in the long run. You could make one out of something that wouldn't rust or warp out of shape. Good luck...Vernski
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:41 AM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

I sprayed a couple of coats of water proof on the outside and inside, let dry for a few days. no problem. You can get it at a craft shop, shop shop, wal-mart etc.
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

I do not understand this post at all - if you need a windshield gasket you should buy one of those instead of a glovebox liner - if you are itching to buy fun goodies from the catalog companies, you should preserve the condition of your truck first. There is always time for new knobs, recovered seats and even glovebox liners....go get your windshield gasket replaced - they are inexpensive enough and worth their weight in gold. Then you can reasonably buy a glovebox liner and not worry about rain getting on it.....

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old March 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

You're right GMCNut. I should replace my gaskets ASAP. The catch there is that gaskets are $300 and that's just not in the budget right now. Cecilia's rust issues are minimal thank goodness so I'm not too concerned. It's a project I have planned for this summer.

The question about the glove box came about because my insurance card keeps falling off of the vent motor (behind the glove box door) where it's stashed every time I take the kids for a spin. It's only 15 bucks so I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with them in a moist environment. I just hate not having a place to put things.

Thanks for the idea about waterproofer. I'll probably try that. Although I guess I could just stick a small cooler in there sideways...
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

GMCNUT,
the reason I did the water proof route was because we get 5 feet (60+ inches of rain a year) in the New Orleans region and the humidity hangs about 77+ percent almost all the time. We waterproof just about everything we can. I learned a long time ago to try as I can to water proof cardboard in most applications. I can even imagine what Oregon is like.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option

OK - Fetch, take a look at what I paid for my windshield seal using this link

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_049.html

Not arguing - my point is that for 29.00 you can re-seal the windshield or you can buy the glovebox insert for 12.00. Or buy both and be merry I say

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:20 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Thanks for the link GMCNut. I was looking at getting this one here so I can replace the whole thing at once. My windows are all held in with wishes and imagination.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...=DSK0100%2D63F
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Fetch, I am sure after seeing my first link you have already explored the much cheaper priced options for such a kit from the Truck Shop, but in case you have not, here's the page you need to see - same stuff as in your Brothers kit but a heck of a lot less

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_054.html

Old March 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Well shucks. Thanks again GMCNut. I tried to poke around their site a bit but the navigation is awkward so I didn't find anything. That's exactly what I needed and I can use the extra dough for other parts

So you're pretty happy with their weatherstripping? No problems or shrinkage etc?