6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Truck: '62 2wd PU, '61 4wd PU, '61 SB panel
Rustbucket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone have $60 grand to spare??

I share Jeannie's skepticism. The truck is a beauty, no doubt. But every single truck that I see advertised says "all original" -- even the ones in primer with chrome wheels and tilt columns. Unless every detail is verified by a completely neutral person who's an expert on these trucks, I just wouldn't believe it. I'm not an expert -- I'm always learning more about these trucks. But I've bought a number of trucks with original paint, and none of them had blacked-out wheel tubs. In fact, it looks like the entire bed was painted black -- the wood, metal strips, and wheels housings. It's probably too good to be true.
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:03 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

I thought that the tubs being black was a problem too. But if you look at the thread on Calling all 2 tones, entry #17 that shows the paint call outs. It has the tubs and the bed as being black.
Other items hint that it may be authentic, like the little sticker on the front of the heater portion in the engine compartment.

I may have to contact the seller and go and inspect the truck, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I went to the address on one of the receipts 505 W Sixth St, old section of Reno. close to a hospital, looks like the residence was torn down for a medical building.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Earlier trucks had black wheel tubs, seeing the markings on the firewall and the detail of the hood grill, I would say this truck is original. You see 99% of these trucks after repainted never having that center support and even the background painted black, it's one of those lost details body & paint shops never take into consideration because they don't take notice of it and Chevrolet never painted theirs black because that's the way it was supposed to be.
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

No center pockets has always been a short bed in my experience.
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:23 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road

I did manage to make contact with the seller of the truck. Seems that the original owner of this truck also owned the truck I have. He is going to talk to the original owner , who is in his 90's, to get some history of mine for me.

I had heard of the story of this truck from other sources that were telling me it existed, had been parked in a garage and never used since new.
I first heard of the story last year when I bought my truck and was trying to locate the missing vin plate. It had gotten ripped off, original owner had it saved in a drawer. So I do believe it is an authentic original condition truck.
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:23 AM

Truck: 1962 1000 series
Gasmannv is on a distinguished road

Hello 6066r's,
I am the recipient of this truck from the original owner. I love the banter and the replies I have received from the various sale listings on Ebay, classiccars.com and craigslist. I do think Jay Leno would love this truck....

I was questioned buy one of the interested collectors about the color as not being on the standard GM charts. I sent him pictures of the assembly chalk markings from the underside of the hood and he found that it was a special GM color.
Here is his response "I think I found it , the color number 9518 Gold, that’s chalk marked under the hood. It’s a GM color widely used in all models in 62 with lots of different names for the same paint from Autumn Gold to Fawn Mist . Look at this chart http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...=Autumn%20Gold On the left you will see letters GBY , click on those letters and you'll find pictures for reference"

In response to questions about how I arrived at the value, I will share this response that I sent another interested collector "Thank you for your response. I understand losing sleep over this truck. I have done the same. The story of how I received the truck and my personal memories of the 60 -66 GMC are unbelievable.
My 90 year old friend from church knew I had a few old cars and operated automotive shops. Almost two years ago he approached me about wanting to give me his old truck. For some reason, I perceived him having an old work truck that was in his yard that needed hauling off or that would be a project truck. I really didn't need another project. Some time later, I went to his house for some church business and saw a 67-72 4X4 in his side yard that definitely was a desirable truck, but was a project. I kind of put him off not wanting to start another project. In recent months, he asked me again to come by and take a look at his truck he wants me to have. Finally one day I told my son we should go look at Bill's truck. We went by his house, Bill wasn't home and the truck that I had seen previously was gone. I felt I had probably procrastinated long enough and Bill found another person more deserving. A few weeks later I approached Bill at church and and told him that I went by and saw the truck gone and I hoped he found a good home for it. He looked at me kind of funny and said "No Steve, that was not the truck I wanted you to look at, the one I want you to have is still in the garage". So I agreed that I would make it it a point to come look at it soon. A couple of weeks later, I called Bill to see if he was home and he said for me to come over. After a few minutes of visiting with he and his wife, he walked me through the house to the door that led to the attached garage.
Beyond his current driver sedan, I could see the left rear quarter panel of the partially covered truck that was backed into the space and I immediately recognized it as an early 60's fleetside. As we approached it I could see that the paint appeared brand new. I asked Bill if he recently had it repainted, he said "no, it was the original paint" As we walked around the front, I saw the V6 emblem on the side of the hood and a rush of memories overcame me. My grandfather had taught me to drive when I was around 14 in a 66 GMC that I later inherited. As I opened the hood, I saw the fresh paint on the motor and asked if he had recently had it rebuilt and he responded the same as before, "no, it was the original engine". The way the truck was parked, I couldn't open the drivers door, but I could open the passenger door and saw the immaculate interior. The seat had an Indian cover blanket and I pulled it back and asked Bill if anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat and this time he just laughed. I still hadn't looked at the odometer. We walked around the back and I asked the same type of question about the bed, if he ever used it and he responded he had built the sideboards for it but could not remember hauling anything. We talked for a while, he showed me the paperwork and we made arrangements to have it towed over to my shop the following Monday. Monday afternoon, I arrive at my shop as the truck had just rolled off the flatbed, I was able to open the drivers door, I was floored as I looked at the odometer. I immediately began inspecting the normal wear areas to see if the odo. had rolled. The door strikers, pedal rubbers, door window felts, e-brake and cable were all like brand new. This was original mileage. I called Bill to let him know the truck had arrived safely and that I had a few questions for him concerning the mileage. He shared that the year he purchased this truck his mother had passed away and he had a couple of her vehicles to drive so he parked this one. Later he joined a Gem and Rock club so he purchased another truck with 4wd, so this one sat in the garage.
I rinsed the dust off the truck, towel dried it and we pushed it into our shop. The pictures with the side boards are form the first day it had been out of his garage in over 25 years. After we soaked the engine, fired it up and repaired the necessary hydraulics, I took it for a spin. The sound, the smell and the feel were exactly how I remembered my Grandfathers truck. I logged a lot of miles in that 66 my grandfather purchased new. The muscle memory and senses tearfully took me back almost 50 years. I had originally intended to keep this truck, it was a special gift and the sentimental remembrance of my grandfather. However, I really do not enjoy collecting for collecting sake. I like to drive and enjoy my vehicles. It would ruin the value of this truck to add miles so I've been in a dilemma (losing sleep). I spoke with my friend Bill and he won't take any money so I suggested that we sell the truck and make a large donation to our Spiritual Center in his name.
Long answer to your short question. I have an online appraisal from pictures sent to a Barret Jackson appraiser for 40K. We have a Barret Jackson auction coming up in Reno for Hot August nights. I believe that the condition and desirability of this truck will drive the auction price up over my current reserve of $55K on eBay. If it doesn't sell before August, I expect to net close to 50K after auction fees. You and another collector from the mid-west have shown equal interest at this time. Knowing what I have shared, you are welcome to make an offer. Thanks for your interest."

So my fellow 6066r's, that's the story and I'm sticking to it.
Best Regards!
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:04 AM

Truck: Shopping for a 1960-61 4x4
Jeannie is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Gasmannv. I would love to see some close pictures of the hood and outside cab roof. Your story humanizes the experience and nostalgia many of us feel with the ownership of these magnificent trucks. I hope you find a nice home for him with a collector that appreciates the find.

Best of luck,

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:46 AM

Thanks Jeannie, Next time I uncover the truck, I will make sure and take some more close ups and detailed pictures.
Steve
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:17 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

HOLD THE BUS!!!

This is a frikkin amazing truck stuck in a garage for 50 years and now coming back to life!?!? WITH A RARE COLOR?!?!!?

Can I just sniff the exhaust for $40?

So full of awesome sauce.

I hope some butt-tard doesnt buy it and drop a 350 in it. I'll be the first to grab my pitchfork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:05 PM

FetchMeaPespi - If you can make your way to Reno you can do more than smell the exhaust for a bottle of Coke.......

I have a couple of question for all you experts. Does anyone know what OEM Delco battery group number would be the correct number for this truck? I see that there are still some NOS acid fill Delco's around. Will a new 50 year old battery come to life when adding acid for the first time? Am I better of using one of the new reproduction maintenance free Delco "look alike's"?

Thanks,
Gasman -