6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 13th, 2016, 10:21 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Re: Leak... Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Easiest way I found to top that trans off was to take the stick out and fill it from the top.
Stick? I see no stick?

I can't see any way to get at the filler plug hole from the top?
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:41 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Old trucks will have leaks. That seems like a small one. Keeps the roads oiled.
I wish the QLD government saw it your way LOL. It irritates me to no end..... The first car I ever owned was a complete death trap. Questionable brakes, a leaking fuel line, the whole 9 yards (I actually miss that car).

Getting it inspected in North Carolina was a simple as having a mechanic going "Yep, turn signal works and the engine is there."

Over here? If there's ANY leaks it won't pass roadworthy. Realistically, that'll only ever come up if I want to sell it while it's registered (I'm never selling). But, that gives you some indication of how much of a nanny state it is over here.

Obviously there's good parts..... however they do tend to go overboard with the legislation.
Old December 14th, 2016, 12:12 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

There's no stick to take out of the top.

The only way to repair that little paper filter is to take the trans out and bite the bullet. You can do it "poor man style" though. It's not heavy or anything weird. You'll need that socket set we talked about before and a car jack would help.
If you're going to pull it though, I'd say go ahead and get a rebuild kit ($100) and breathe new life back into it while you're in there.

On the other hand if this is your only ride I'd say just top it off from time to time and drive it unless you can do without it for a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:27 AM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Is that a 3 speed or a 4 speed? I can't quite tell from the pics. Anyhow, I was assuming a 4 speed. That's why I said you could take the stick(shifter) out of the top and fill from there, but if it's a 3 speed on the column never mind.

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:07 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Is that a 3 speed or a 4 speed? I can't quite tell from the pics. Anyhow, I was assuming a 4 speed. That's why I said you could take the stick(shifter) out of the top and fill from there, but if it's a 3 speed on the column never mind.
3 speed on the column. An excellent theft deterrent system I find lol.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:17 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you can round one up or even need to for that matter but i built this lube pump from two broken ones. they were for 55 gallon drums but shortening them up for a 5 gallon bucket was easy. I used an old mechanic creeper stool for the cart. Just hang the pipe in the fill hole and slowly pump until lube starts running out.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pump cart 001.jpg (1.05 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg oil pump cart 002.jpg (1.05 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg oil pump cart 003.jpg (1.15 MB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
File Type: jpg oil pump cart 004.jpg (74.3 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg oil pump cart 006.jpg (1,002.8 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:52 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

That is wicked creative. Anything that keeps me from crawling around on the ground is a plus!
Old December 14th, 2016, 10:39 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Question Re: Leak... Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
There's no stick to take out of the top.

On the other hand if this is your only ride I'd say just top it off from time to time and drive it unless you can do without it for a week.
What would you use to top it up with? The manual just says "multi purpose gear oil." But, I've got another old Chevy manual from the same year that's a bit more specific (SAE 90). However, I'm finding that most of the newer stuff is loaded with detergents etc....
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:03 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Dac that looks like something that should be in my garage!

JM, regular 90 weight gear oil from WalMart is fine, but I like #58304 Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil because it's what Jay Leno puts in all his old transmissions to help them shift better and last longer.

Gear oil is sometimes like motor oil and football teams. Everyone has a favorite and there's not a ton of difference one way or the other.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:18 AM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

I would stick with 90 weight gear oil. A lot of high detergent multi weight oils can make leaks worse.