6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Transmissions and Rear Ends

Transmissions and Rear Ends Three on the tree or four in the floor? Shift it all here.

Old December 15th, 2016, 12:58 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Loctite on oil drain plug

I've never seen loctite on a drain plug before..... Any ideas as to how to unscrew it without rounding off the head?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Old December 15th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Loctite on oil drain plug

Use a good 6 point socket. do not use a wrench or 12 point, might be thread sealant not loctite If it won't come loose clean the area really good and heat the drain plug with a propane torch.
Old December 15th, 2016, 02:02 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I second the sealant thought. It doesn't look like locktite to me. Just gray sealant. It should twist right off after you get it broke loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:39 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice

It's pretty rounded off. I reckon I might be looking at a situation where I don't touch it until I have a replacement.... It's not leaking, so I'm a bit hesitant to mess with something that's not causing me dramas, yet. Having said that, I've been looking at replacing the plug with a fumato or ezi-drain. Anyone here had experience with something like that on a similar vehicle? I've not used one before... They look awesome. But, I'm not a fan of gimmicky stuff that doesn't actually work.
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Truck: 64 Gmc suburbann 305e, 4speed. v12 truck engine, v12 irrigation,2-305e,305a,305d
bobdylan is on a distinguished road

If you get the old plug out. I can send you a good one.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:29 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdylan View Post
If you get the old plug out. I can send you a good one.
That would be excellent! Just let me know how much it's worth to you and I'll send some moola your way. Paypal would be easiest I'm guessing?

This is possibly a silly question, but is there a standard size that these plugs came in?

I think I might have to get creative to get it out LOL.

Sorry for the late reply.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:44 AM

Truck: 1960 GMC 4000
modernlinux is on a distinguished road

I know I am late to the movie but just a tip for future. When I run into a rounded plug I weld a short bolt or nut to it and then remove it. In the industry that I work in this happens at least 3 times a week.. sometimes 20 a day. I never drill and easy out anything. Takes too long. If it is a broken off bolt that is flush.. drill a hole half the diameter and a couple hundrec.f.d thou deep. Build it up with spot welds at high heat until you have something to weld a bolt to. I rarely spend more than 2 minutes extracting a rounded or broken bolt. Especially useful on exhaust manifolds and heads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk