6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical

Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical Everything Inside

Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:12 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on a dash, see pick

So the truck is coming along in the body shop. Here is the dash out of it, what would you do? The truck is a 3/4 ton 2WD 8ft step side that I believe was ordered by the Department of Agriculture, so I am thinking the gauges may be right from the factory?

I will put them back if somebody can tell me where to get them reasonable, and I would pay somebody a few bucks to bring the dash and gauges back to original for reasonable. I am swamped with the truck itself.

http://6066gmcclub.com/attachment.ph...=5809&stc=1&d=2016-12-02 13.41.22.jpg

Its always one more thing, I need the cover for the heater box under the hood covering the heater core, anybody have one to sell. Somebody put the wrong heater core in it and cut the cover up to make it fit.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:37 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Need advice on a dash, see pick

The Bat O Meter is a factory item I believe but not the tach. Tach does look period correct.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 01:20 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough

The factory tach looks similar to the bat-o-meter as far as the casing goes, see pic, tach is on the left. The OEM clock is on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5492.JPG (1.45 MB, Multiple views, 24 clicks)
Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:06 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

Bat o Meter is a fairly uncommonly seen accessory guage so if you like that, Id keep it. The Stewart Warner Tach is technically incorrect to the SUN Model GMC used, but unless you have to have the "correct" tach, I'd say keep that SW tach in there because it is clearly old and "period correct" and has such a great look compared to the correct one. The SUN tach was a hold over from the 1955-59 GMC series and shamefully GMC did not opt to change the Green squared off 55-59 series lettering font and coloration to adapt to the White temp speedo and fuel guages so the correct SUN tachs look very out of place in these clusters. I restored my cluster with a correct tach (see attached) and as you see it almost looks stupid in there compared to your White one. I vote you re-use your tach because it looks that much better to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new cluster.JPG (103.5 KB, Multiple views, 34 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

Very well said GMCNUT Strange why GMC didn't change the font to match the 60-66 gauges. Out of all the optional gauges the clock matches the best. Funny how all the rest of the optional gauges like oil pressure and ammeter were mismatches too. If you could get a hold of a Voltmeter which I have that gauge actually matched with the water temp and fuel gauge
Old December 6th, 2016, 10:36 PM

Truck: 1964, K15
Lineman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Bat o Meter is a fairly uncommonly seen accessory guage so if you like that, Id keep it. The Stewart Warner Tach is technically incorrect to the SUN Model GMC used, but unless you have to have the "correct" tach, I'd say keep that SW tach in there because it is clearly old and "period correct" and has such a great look compared to the correct one. The SUN tach was a hold over from the 1955-59 GMC series and shamefully GMC did not opt to change the Green squared off 55-59 series lettering font and coloration to adapt to the White temp speedo and fuel guages so the correct SUN tachs look very out of place in these clusters. I restored my cluster with a correct tach (see attached) and as you see it almost looks stupid in there compared to your White one. I vote you re-use your tach because it looks that much better to me
Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't say it looks "stupid" by a long shot. Your dash looks nice to me. Did you paint that? Or is that that plating they used or some restoration thing?

I will have to test my tach and see if it even works, the volt meter works. Is the arrangement in the dash right as your tach is on the left?

Thanks again.
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:07 AM

bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough

I will have to test my tach and see if it even works, the volt meter works. Is the arrangement in the dash right as your tach is on the left?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

That is the correct arrangement if available with the Bat-O-Meter. If you had the Clock and Tach combo then the Tach would be on the Right. Basically the Bat-O-Meter was always mounted on the left and the clock always mounted on the right. The Tach could be either all depending on what combination of gauges you had. If you wanted all three the Bat-O-Meter could be mounted on the bottom of the dash, I've got that particular mount. The clock could be mounted in a special housing on top of the dash. Don't know if GMC offered the Tach with the steering column mount housing but that would also be a good alternative
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
If you had the Clock and Tach combo then the Tach would be on the Right.
I think whether the tach was on the right or the left must have varied depending on which plant the truck came from. As you can see in this photo, the tach in the one ton Suburban my Dad bought new is mounted on the left with the clock on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6264.JPG (1.83 MB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old December 7th, 2016, 04:56 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
Thanks for the reply, I wouldn't say it looks "stupid" by a long shot. Your dash looks nice to me. Did you paint that? Or is that that plating they used or some restoration thing?

Thanks again.
Well, I think I had my cluster housing chromed incorrectly actually - I think the whole cluster was probably vacuum metalized at the factory, but a satin silver paint used on the face around the guages - only the outer edge was "chrome". So technically mine is not right. I may go back and spray some argent silver over the face to try and make it more correct.
As for guage placement, I have owned and seen a couple dozen dealer added clocks and tachs and so far have yet to ever see a clock done by the GM dealer not on the Right - tachs always seem to be on the left and clocks on the right.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)
Old December 7th, 2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
I think whether the tach was on the right or the left must have varied depending on which plant the truck came from. As you can see in this photo, the tach in the one ton Suburban my Dad bought new is mounted on the left with the clock on the right.
Ed, I totally screwed up I must have been suffering from dyslexia earlier, I really meant if you got the clock and Tach combo then the clock would be on the right and the Tach would be on the left