6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes

Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes Keep them doggies rollin', rawhide

Old December 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM

Truck: 63 K1000
roadrunr63 is on a distinguished road
Default 63 GMC 1000 4WD Front Hubs - Need Advice

Need advice: I've got a 63 GMC 1000 4WD....Long front wheel hubs with Dualmatic Locking Hubs...Bearings are suspect, how to remove this type hub off axle? I've removed circlip under the locking hub cap, still on there tight, use a puller ? Also, are there replacement locking hubs for this model available ? Mine are scrap...What am I looking for ? I see a Classic hub by Selectro listed for 60-66 truck but looks to fit a different shorter type stub axle....Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.....Rob in Vermont
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:59 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 63 GMC 1000 4WD Front Hubs - Need Advice

Im in the same boat as you, I'll probably rebuild my hubs next year if I have the $$

If you do get them apart and get them rebuilt would you post pics or start a build thread in the forum?

Does this help? If not I'll keep looking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:06 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

More info I have gathered here and there about the hubs since starting with Cecilia. It's not much, but it might help you look for replacement parts etc.

Manual Locking Hubs:
They're labeled Power Train Tools, but they're really just rebranded Selectro's.
They've been called Sears brand and Dualamatic as well.
They were OEM from many vehicles for years.
They are used on Military vehicles.
They were sold by Husky up until they were bought out by MileMarker and then the quality fell off.
If you have a model before about 1973 then they're great and strong enough for rock climbing.
They're hard to turn to "free" when they get bound up.
To unlock or lock you turn the entire outside knob. They made it that way to make it easy to use with gloves, also to keep them from getting snow and mud inside a selector knob.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:16 AM

Truck: 1965 1002
Wizard2467 is on a distinguished road

I have access to a very rare parts illustration book for GM parts covers 1955 thru 1964 GMC parts I also have access to and online GM part numbers book for 1955 thru 1964 GMC trucks and a source that checks for many rare parts. If you still need help finding parts send an email directly to my email address from yours and not thru this forum it would also help to have a phone number for you. If not copyrighted I would like to get a copy of this parts book from the on to a disk and or paper since it could be taken off of the web it is set up to only let one copy one page at a time so it would take a long time to do this if some one this parts book I will research if it is not copyrighted and will give you the url to find it on the web if you will copy it for me and get it to me by in an agreed amount of time. I usually like replies in such a way that I do not have to sign in twice such as my own email address and then the forum address. I Also for other parts if any one else needs parts help form 1960 thru 1966 GMC trucks please send me an email directly from your email address to my email, address and best to include a phone number to
nclude a phone number to some times expediate information if I have questions.
Sincerely, Steven wizard24672000@yahoo.com
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:37 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunr63 View Post
Need advice: I've got a 63 GMC 1000 4WD....Long front wheel hubs with Dualmatic Locking Hubs...Bearings are suspect, how to remove this type hub off axle? I've removed circlip under the locking hub cap, still on there tight, use a puller ? Also, are there replacement locking hubs for this model available ? Mine are scrap...What am I looking for ? I see a Classic hub by Selectro listed for 60-66 truck but looks to fit a different shorter type stub axle....Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.....Rob in Vermont
Rob,
I've got a pair of OE Selectro's that were on mine...(I replaced my front diff complete).
Let me know if you would like them.
There is one large snap-ring (retainer) that holds the hub assy into the hub housing, and another smaller one that goes around the end of the axle shaft, holding the axle into the inside of the hub gear.
You might have missed one of them, as it sure is greasy in there.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:56 AM

Thanks....Big outer snap ring and the smaller inside axle snap ring both removed, hub still wont pull off...tried heating the entire hub with rosebud
tip, to se if locking hub assembly would pull out, didnt, then heated the entire hub and a few turn with a puller...still on! 50 year old original mated parts talking I guess!....Tomorrow's another day, more heat & Kroil...Interested to see a few photos of one of the hub assemblies you have... if possible....Thanks again....
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunr63 View Post
Thanks....Big outer snap ring and the smaller inside axle snap ring both removed, hub still wont pull off...tried heating the entire hub with rosebud
tip, to se if locking hub assembly would pull out, didnt, then heated the entire hub and a few turn with a puller...still on! 50 year old original mated parts talking I guess!....Tomorrow's another day, more heat & Kroil...Interested to see a few photos of one of the hub assemblies you have... if possible....Thanks again....
Here's a diagram on a GM 1/2 ton 3rd generation-ish Selectro hub.
It's laying on its side ....but you get the picture.
However...
Probably shouldn't need heat....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Install2&3.jpg (1.02 MB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM

Very much appreciate attached diagram, very close to what I have in terms of locking hub parts/design, other than my truck hub housings are longer...All parts still frozen inside hub housing but should have time to work on it again over weekend....
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Thanks again for the Selectro diagram, both locking hubs now removed, **** of a job, both outer locking hub splines rusted into wheel hub splines...Bought this truck as parts in mind from two 80+ yr old woodsmen at a remote camp on the Vermont-Quebec border, they also handed over a coffee can with hub springs and sliding gears, and mentioned they had "nailed" up the front hubs to hold in gear....Nailed em up alright driven a similar looking splined piece into both hubs and jammed assemblies together hard, busted pair of needle noses, numerous heat cycles, and half a can of PB to remove! Interested to talk with you some more about the old hubs you have.....roadrunr@earthlink.net