6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old June 1st, 2016, 02:54 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
atomman is on a distinguished road
Default on ebay "702 V-6" logo

OK does this make sense?
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ua4AAO...WZ/s-l1600.jpg
Atomman
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:21 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: on ebay "702 V-6" logo

That was for a certain model of farm equipment that had the GMC V6, 702 was the model and nothing to do with cubic inches
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:37 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Boy that would be a head scratcher for all those ignorant sbc nuts. lol!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 03:48 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 3500 Rescue Squad
6066gmcguy is on a distinguished road

the New Idea No. 702 Uni-System, They had both Gas & Toro-Flow Diesel powered units.

You can find this info and photos on the site's V6 Powered page.

Back in the late '60s early '70s Avco built the New Idea No. 702 Uni-system Power unit. This unit was used with different attachments to pick corn, wheat, & even had a snow blower. It came with some three engine choices, the ones we're interested in here are the GMC 401M V6 power units & The Toro-Flow Diesel Utains. There is one more place to find those 401M V6 engines, so keep your eyes open, you may even find a HD478 Toro-Flow Diesel. The Units shown here belong to Marti Sacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toro Uni.JPG (401.1 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Toro Uni 2.JPG (402.1 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg Toro Uni 5.JPG (427.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Toro Uni 3.JPG (417.3 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on FacePage.

the
on FacePage.
Owner of:
1965 GMC 3500 Custom Rescue Squad {Black Built Bodies}
1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
2006 Yamaha Rhino 450
2008 GMC HHR Panel.
Old June 8th, 2016, 02:19 PM

POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Local home town seed corn company switched from using tractor mounted ear corn pickers to using those New Idea self-propelled pickers about the early/mid-1970's. One of those gasoline V-6 powered pickers spent most of the fall and early winter sitting in one of Dad's farm's grass waterways as a burned out hulk. I guess a fuel line sprung a leak and sprayed gasoline on a glowing red hot exhaust manifold.

Running one of those self propelled pickers would have been a much nicer job than a tractor mounted picker where you sat right in the middle of all the roller chain drives running all the parts of the picker, and also sitting right in the middle of all the dust, dirt, noise, and heat when it's hot, and cold when it's cool out. Lots of farmers ended up missing hands and arms from not paying attention to where they put their hands/arms when running a picker back in the 1950's & '60's. By the early 1970's self-propelled combines harvesting shelled corn off the cob was well on the way to completely replacing ear corn pickers.

Ear corn pickers are a novelty now days, only used at historical farming shows, like the Half Century of Progress held at the old Chanutt Air Force base in Rantoul, Illinois every other year, next show will be fall of 2017. A few other die-hards still pick corn, mostly to grind ear corn to feed beef cattle. If you've ever had good ground ear corn fed beef you can appreciate how great it is compared to silage or grass fed beef. I grew up eating corn fed beef, my Cardiologist would disown me if I still ate that kind of beef but would probably want to come visit us for steaks on the grill a couple times a year!
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:52 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1965, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
Running one of those self propelled pickers would have been a much nicer job than a tractor mounted picker where you sat right in the middle of all the roller chain drives running all the parts of the picker, and also sitting right in the middle of all the dust, dirt, noise, and heat when it's hot, and cold when it's cool out. Lots of farmers ended up missing hands and arms from not paying attention to where they put their hands/arms when running a picker back in the 1950's & '60's.
One of my wife's uncles lost an arm that way on his farm in southeast Missouri in the '50s.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1965 2500 Suburban 351C & SM420 with Watson overdrive
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:12 PM

POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
One of my wife's uncles lost an arm that way on his farm in southeast Missouri in the '50s.
The little farming area I grew up in right in the heart of the Corn Belt, we had 2-3 guys with hooks, many more with mangled or missing fingers.

I did a LOT of field work from the time I was about 9-10 years old to about 20-22. But I never ran a corn picker or combine. Started driving the tractor pulling the baler when I was 9-10 years old. I drove the FARMALL M I have in the shop now when I was 7&8 years old pulling the hay rope pulling the hay fork up into the back barn lifting bales of hay into the hay mow. Ran hay mowers, hay rakes, cultivated corn, sprayed corn, plowed and disked, ran the neighbor's big tractor chopping haylage, ran to the little town of 100 people with a church, elementary school, fertilizer company, bank, bar, restaurant, lumber yard, general store, and three trucking companies and three feed mills for hog feed every Saturday from about first of March till Thanksgiving, and about every 2-3 days all summer. By the time I was 14 years old I was working for the local big time operator pretty steadily, kept Dad up to schedule, and worked off&on for a couple other neighbors.

Was helping put the mounted picker on the M by the time I was 6-7 years old, only as a Gofer at first but finally doing things unsupervised. As Grandpa got older I took over more of his role. Last 6-7 years Dad farmed Dad ran the picker and I hauled in on Saturdays, during the week Dad had to pick alone, pick both wagons full and park the picker and unload them. We picked as much on a good Saturday as Dad could pick alone in two days! We only raised 80-100 acres of corn on the home farm, and could pick 20 acres on a good day. Most days Dad would pick 2-3 loads and wait till a Saturday when I was home to help.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:33 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snyder View Post
Greetings Ed!

What you said brings back memories of my days on the farm! We too had farm neighbors that were missing fingers or arms, and some even lost their lives to open PTO shafts. Sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it!! Thank God I still have all of my fingers, arms, legs, and so on. I was one who was always mindful of roller chains and sprockets, open belts and pulleys, and the always dangerous PTO shafts, (Dad WAS ALWAYS admonishing me to be careful around moving parts) so I was always watching my every move around these dangerous areas of farm equipment. Let's face it---I wasn't a big fan of pain, and even less of a fan of losing body parts!!