6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass

Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass Beauty is only 4 coats deep...

Old September 29th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Truck: 63 3/4 ton pickup
Sam Russell is on a distinguished road
Post 1963 big back bumper

OK guys I have a 1963 3/4 ton truck. I would like to put a big back bumper on it because I believe it had one on it in the past, it has little hole on the bottom of each fender. I would like to put one on because I have a rinky dink bumper on it for the time being and I think they look good on there. So here's the million dollar question. Does anyone have blue print for one? I've looked around but I can't find one so I'm going to build it. I think I have included a picture of what I m looking for but I have just been pushing buttons and hoping for the best. If anything pictures of other members bumpers like this would sure help.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pictography-1-044-800.jpg (66.7 KB, Multiple views, 15 clicks)
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:49 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: 1963 big back bumper

There were thousands of those type bumpers put on GMC and Chevy, should be no problem finding one cheap. Metal for fab is expensive. Try "wanted" on this site. There are 3 or 4 trucks in the Billings Craigslist with those bumpers. The trucks are from $1000-$2200. Maybe one of those guys would sell the bumper. There is one in Dillon also. I don't know if Wide Side bumper fits Fender side or can be modified to do so.

Last edited by AZKen; October 1st, 2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:49 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Russell View Post
OK guys I have a 1963 3/4 ton truck. I would like to put a big back bumper on it because I believe it had one on it in the past, it has little hole on the bottom of each fender. I would like to put one on because I have a rinky dink bumper on it for the time being and I think they look good on there. So here's the million dollar question. Does anyone have blue print for one? I've looked around but I can't find one so I'm going to build it. I think I have included a picture of what I m looking for but I have just been pushing buttons and hoping for the best. If anything pictures of other members bumpers like this would sure help.

Thanks for the help.
Welcome from the Black Hills! Those are "Barden" bumpers. Hopefully you may find one in a junkyard. I dig those bumpers too. A lot of folks hot rodding old trucks seem to get rid of these bumpers before they do anything else to it. I've got a step-bumper I plan on building the wrap around ends on one of these days for my '55 GMC, but I can't help with dimensions or prints.

The truck in your pic looks like it may be a 55-59, but the 60-66 used the same box setup.

Here's a few when I did a search for Barden Bumpers.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ba...mail-searchbox

Post some pics and story of your '63 when you can.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday
Old October 3rd, 2016, 05:28 PM

Truck: 63 3/4 ton pickup
Sam Russell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info it. Did some research on them know that I know what to call them. I would like to find one but if I don't I have enough scrap laying around I might just build one. But I might have to go to the scrap yard and take a look around, never know I may get lucky.

Thanks again