6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > General Discussion

General Discussion Sit down and chat with fellow members! Any topics that don't fit other categories goes here.

Old December 29th, 2016, 06:01 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 3/4 ton
Dazzoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum but have wanted an old gmc for a long time. Just picked up a 1964 gmc 2500 with a dump bed on it. It runs and drives, needs some electrical work and could stand a new clutch, but overall pretty good for an all original work Truck from 1964. The best part is I got the truck for free. Looking forward to tearing into the truck and I'm sure I'll have more than a few questions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hello , Im an new member too :-)
Greetings ,
Heres an pic of my 66 GMC I've had for 37 years .
Happy new yr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.JPG (2.02 MB, Multiple views, 18 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_2239.JPG (1.83 MB, Multiple views, 17 clicks)
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:21 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
Hello , Im an new member too :-)
Greetings ,
Heres an pic of my 66 GMC I've had for 37 years .
Happy new yr
Hello Dazzoman: what color is the paint on your truck, and are the backup lights original. Love the back bumper!
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
Hello Dazzoman: what color is the paint on your truck, and are the backup lights original. Love the back bumper!
The color is called "GM Blue " and it is essentially an GM engine color of blue they came out with more recently .
I have not seen my own pictures as of yet and I don't know if I can have a pic of it everytime i post something or not , I mean like a tag next to my name like some of these guys get to have goin on when they post .
Dazz
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:13 AM

Thanks !
Yes backups are original and the color is called "GM Blue "
Your truck is nice .
Is that an v6 ?
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks !
Yes backups are original and the color is called "GM Blue "
Your truck is nice .
Is that an v6 ?
Yes, it is the 305 V6. May upgrade to one of the bigger V6 engines if I can find one at a reasonable price. Looking for a better hood for mine, and I think the original color of my truck was the GMC "Terrace Blue." It was two toned with the blue and white. Not sure if I should restore it to the original glory, or keep the "patina" and just fix the cancer. I would like to find a better rear bumper and replace the original damaged chrome on the front. I definitely need to add backup lights on this thing. Just got trapped in a fast food drive-through today. I stopped to look at the menu, and decided against it. Tried to back up and some idiot pulled up behind me as I was backing. Had to get OUT of the truck, tap his window (He did not want to roll it down) and yell through the glass, "I have NO back up lights! I am TRYING to back up! If YOU back up and let me out, you can get in line!" The idiot backed up about 4 feet and would go no farther. I ended up driving through the grass next to the drive through to get out. I HATE this time of year. The whole "Christmas Rush" and "AFTER Christmas Sales" seems to either bring out the stupid in drivers or it brings out stupid drivers, I am not sure which. All I know is that they don't seem to know where they are going, and have ALL DAY to get there.
Old December 30th, 2016, 06:48 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad, all we Have is stupid drivers where I live. haha

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is the 305 V6. May upgrade to one of the bigger V6 engines if I can find one at a reasonable price. Looking for a better hood for mine, and I think the original color of my truck was the GMC "Terrace Blue." It was two toned with the blue and white. Not sure if I should restore it to the original glory, or keep the "patina" and just fix the cancer. I would like to find a better rear bumper and replace the original damaged chrome on the front. I definitely need to add backup lights on this thing. Just got trapped in a fast food drive-through today. I stopped to look at the menu, and decided against it. Tried to back up and some idiot pulled up behind me as I was backing. Had to get OUT of the truck, tap his window (He did not want to roll it down) and yell through the glass, "I have NO back up lights! I am TRYING to back up! If YOU back up and let me out, you can get in line!" The idiot backed up about 4 feet and would go no farther. I ended up driving through the grass next to the drive through to get out. I HATE this time of year. The whole "Christmas Rush" and "AFTER Christmas Sales" seems to either bring out the stupid in drivers or it brings out stupid drivers, I am not sure which. All I know is that they don't seem to know where they are going, and have ALL DAY to get there.
Oh yes holiday traffic is horrible !
Hot tip for you - contact Tom at Tom myers truck wreckers in Miami Oklahoma and he will send you an original 60s bumper . I got mine from him ( not shown in my pic because I still had the OEM white bumper that I sold this week for $75 on the truck ) but now I have an OEM chrome bumper I got from him for 150$ he shipped it to me . So i pulled out the 305E V6 this truck had in it originally because it wouldn't miss an gas station , the 305E is an bigger one that most so you might not wanna do that unless gas isnt an issue .
Funny , in 60-62 , GM painted plaid shirt pattern on the valve covers of the light trucks and nick named it "The Scotsman" engine until they found out the Scots , known for their frugility would not ever endorse such an engine so they pulled that idea away ha ha ha !
In 1987 I put an 292 straight 6 in it and have drove it like that since and yes an big increase in mileage was the first notable thing (w/ that original Muncie 4 spd I left in there ) .
Well that muncie finally died this yr and I researched and found I could probably put in an NP440 4 speed ( with overdrive on 4th ) and the gas mileage was increased like crazy .
I have decided to put in an 350 v8 this month and its going to be perfect for that NP440 MY6 tranny .
All that to say you should get away from the v6 because of the gas .
**** , Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
Today you could put an modern 350 in there w/ all the trimmings :-)

Last edited by Dazzoman; December 31st, 2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Oh yes holiday traffic is horrible !
Hot tip for you - contact Tom at Tom myers truck wreckers in Miami Oklahoma and he will send you an original 60s bumper . I got mine from him ( not shown in my pic because I still had the OEM white bumper that I sold this week for $75 on the truck ) but now I have an OEM chrome bumper I got from him for 150$ he shipped it to me . So i pulled out the 305E V6 this truck had in it originally because it wouldn't miss an gas station , the 305E is an bigger one that most so you might not wanna do that unless gas isnt an issue .
Funny , in 60-62 , GM painted plaid shirt pattern on the valve covers of the light trucks and nick named it "The Scotsman" engine until they found out the Scots , known for their frugility would not ever endorse such an engine so they pulled that idea away ha ha ha !
In 1987 I put an 292 straight 6 in it and have drove it like that since and yes an big increase in mileage was the first notable thing (w/ that original Muncie 4 spd I left in there ) .
Well that muncie finally died this yr and I researched and found I could probably put in an NP440 4 speed ( with overdrive on 4th ) and the gas mileage was increased like crazy .
I have decided to put in an 350 v8 this month and its going to be perfect for that NP440 MY6 tranny .
All that to say you should get away from the v6 because of the gas .
**** , Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
Oh, I could put in a small block 400, but I like the oddball stuff. The whole reason I got this truck was that my buddy who had it before me kept saying he was going to turn it into a 4 wheel drive with a 350 and I begged him not to. He lusted for my El Camino, and one day decided to trade. He is much happier with the Camino. He can smoke the back tires on it all day. I had de-tuned the car because it was so squirrelly with the 4-11s and the race built 350. Installed a 95 truck motor and an open diff instead of the limited slip with 4-11s in the Camino just so I could drive it to work without wrecking the car. I have no idea what the gear ratio on the open diff was, but it came from a V6 Cutlass, so it was highway gears. My buddy put the 4-11s back in and even with the truck motor, the car burns rubber in all 3 gears (TH350 trans). I just like the arguments I get into with people when they ask what engine I have in the truck. "So, what you got in it?" "You would not believe me if I told you." Raised eybrow, "So, what DO you have in it?" "305 V6." "You sure that it is not a v8?" "Nope, it is a V6." "Never made such a thing." Then, I open the hood and point. At that point I get, "That ain't no V6, that's a BIG block!" "Count the wires." I watch their mouths as they count, "One, two, three, four, five, six...." A puzzled look, a shake of the head and they usually walk away. Those that stay get an education on the old GMC medium duty truck motors. What I would really like to do is to get one of the 478 engines and drop it in just to mess with people. I love to point out that GMC made bigger V6s than Chevy made V8s at the time.

Now, don't take that wrong. I am a Chevy man. I currently own TWO '72 Chevy pickups and I LOVE them, but both are ODD. My two wheel drive has a 350 with a TH 375 transmission. My four wheel drive has all the options except AC. It has the full gauge cluster, Auto trans (TH 350), Power steering and brakes. Not to mention 3/4 ton four wheel drive. I have a small block 400 that I plan on building for one of the trucks (not sure yet which one but I am leaning toward the 2 wheel drive). I tend to mix and match. I drive what could be described as "rat rods" in the truest sense of the words.
Each of my vehicles is put together from what others have cast off.

Thanks for the lead on the bumper. Welcome to the group.
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Oh, I could put in a small block 400, but I like the oddball stuff. The whole reason I got this truck was that my buddy who had it before me kept saying he was going to turn it into a 4 wheel drive with a 350 and I begged him not to. He lusted for my El Camino, and one day decided to trade. He is much happier with the Camino. He can smoke the back tires on it all day. I had de-tuned the car because it was so squirrelly with the 4-11s and the race built 350. Installed a 95 truck motor and an open diff instead of the limited slip with 4-11s in the Camino just so I could drive it to work without wrecking the car. I have no idea what the gear ratio on the open diff was, but it came from a V6 Cutlass, so it was highway gears. My buddy put the 4-11s back in and even with the truck motor, the car burns rubber in all 3 gears (TH350 trans). I just like the arguments I get into with people when they ask what engine I have in the truck. "So, what you got in it?" "You would not believe me if I told you." Raised eybrow, "So, what DO you have in it?" "305 V6." "You sure that it is not a v8?" "Nope, it is a V6." "Never made such a thing." Then, I open the hood and point. At that point I get, "That ain't no V6, that's a BIG block!" "Count the wires." I watch their mouths as they count, "One, two, three, four, five, six...." A puzzled look, a shake of the head and they usually walk away. Those that stay get an education on the old GMC medium duty truck motors. What I would really like to do is to get one of the 478 engines and drop it in just to mess with people. I love to point out that GMC made bigger V6s than Chevy made V8s at the time.

Now, don't take that wrong. I am a Chevy man. I currently own TWO '72 Chevy pickups and I LOVE them, but both are ODD. My two wheel drive has a 350 with a TH 375 transmission. My four wheel drive has all the options except AC. It has the full gauge cluster, Auto trans (TH 350), Power steering and brakes. Not to mention 3/4 ton four wheel drive. I have a small block 400 that I plan on building for one of the trucks (not sure yet which one but I am leaning toward the 2 wheel drive). I tend to mix and match. I drive what could be described as "rat rods" in the truest sense of the words.
Each of my vehicles is put together from what others have cast off.

Thanks for the lead on the bumper. Welcome to the group.
Haa you got me there man ! Good one .
Yah that Toms yard is a find for sure . In Nov he just "downsized" and sold 180 pre 72 GM trucks for cheap !! He has a mess load of parts . Better call him before he sells the place . Doesnt have an son or some body to keep it going . I think hes been there 50 yrs .
Ya your better off with that Municie 465 with that big dumper come to think about it . Those 305s were darn good engines , industrial !
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:51 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Interesting idea. But not correct.
In 1963 only, GMC put an overlay (kind of a "decal" if you will) on some valve covers. Never heard anything about Scots having anything to say about "endorsing" it.

Quote:
Chevy put 283s in your truck with the same Muncie tranny with no problems .
I don't think GMC put 283s in any of their trucks.
And I would guess it would make a difference as to what you want to do with the truck as to what engine to put in there. If you want it to pull or haul (ie. work) then the 305/351 are good choices. A lot of low end torque. If you are using it like a car, then maybe the 350. But why? Put a Chev. drivetrain in it and it isn't really a GMC anymore.
Unless you have a Canadian truck. GMCs built in Canada were, essentially, Chevrolets with GMC badging.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500