6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:34 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

OK, I got the GMC Maintenance Manuals - X-6223, X-6323 & X-6423 yesterday. Are there others that would be good to have on hand during this journey?
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I cant think of anything else. You alredy have more than me!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I cant think of anything else. You alredy have more than me!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

😀 yes but i dont really know what i'm doing, so i need all the help i can get!

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM

Vernski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK, I got the GMC Maintenance Manuals - X-6223, X-6323 & X-6423 yesterday. Are there others that would be good to have on hand during this journey?
A.P. this one is not GMC specific and is for Chevys is called Factory Assembly Manual, but it will tell you how to assemble the truck on the parts that are the same on the GMC, It's not laid out in any particular order with no index so you have to look for what applies and make your own index. Other than that it was helpful when I forgot how something was assembled plus they are not to costly at least the last time I looked at them. It was helpful with things like the wipers and where the bolts go in the sheet metal and lots of other items, It's not a must have item if you take notes on how things are assembled and have a good memory. But if you do things like me I tend to forget where and how stuff goes...Vernski

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
A.P. this one is not GMC specific and is for Chevys is called Factory Assembly Manual, but it will tell you how to assemble the truck on the parts that are the same on the GMC, It's not laid out in any particular order with no index so you have to look for what applies and make your own index.
Thanks.

I was wondering how useful that one would be.
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:36 PM

It's amazing what you don't see the first one or two times you look at something. When I first looked at this truck, I thought the hood was good. I was glad because I hear they are hard to find. However, taking another look while trying to put a game plan in place I noticed the following...

I assume, being on the corner, this will drive the need for a hood replacement? ...or is there a feasible way to repair it?
Old March 24th, 2014, 07:43 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen kids throw them away for less than that, but I've seen guys patch much bigger than that. If it was me I'd try to clean all the rust off then weld up the holes. A flapdisk and a wire wheel (15.00 or so for both) would clean them up pretty good. WDShaffer is the paint and body guy to go to for tips there. Do you know how to weld any?

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old March 24th, 2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I've seen kids throw them away for less than that, but I've seen guys patch much bigger than that. If it was me I'd try to clean all the rust off then weld up the holes. A flapdisk and a wire wheel (15.00 or so for both) would clean them up pretty good. WDShaffer is the paint and body guy to go to for tips there. Do you know how to weld any?
Sadly no, even though my dad is a welder, I never learned from him as a kid...better late than never though right!?! Of course we live 10 hours apart now. I won't see the folks again until May. However, he may have some equipment he can let go of.

Got some wire wheels I used to when restoring my grandfather's Shopsmith last fall. May get to use that to rip some wood for the bed...maybe.

think I saw some drawings for that on here somewhere.

Old March 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM
GMC Advisor

Truck: 1961 Short Fenderside
WDShaffer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the props, Fetch...

Those are the most common type of rusty part: joints where dirt & water collect. Look also at your floorboards where the cab mounts are (front specifically is often bad rusty).

You can fix anything if you are willing to, or if you have no option. It all depends upon what you want to gain from the project. My '61 is a basket case I intend to have fun with -after 10 years of waiting, the stars are aligning again

If you can't get to the back side of the rust, you gotta remove material until it is solid metal. A doner bow-tie hood could give the patch panels necessary too.
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the props, Fetch...
A doner bow-tie hood could give the patch panels necessary too.
Thanks. There is an old 64 Chevy near here that has sat on Craigslist for sometime. Might try to see if he can part with the hood for that use. Thanks. Of course the hood may not be in as good as shape as the teeny tiny picture makes it appear in the CL ad.