6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > GMC V6 and V12 Engines

GMC V6 and V12 Engines Engine repair and rebuilding

Old June 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Truck: 1961 Suburban
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road
Default Adding a/c to a 305?

Hey guys!

My suburban had a/c added to it by the dealer when new -- the compressor bolted up to the drivers side and the hoses ran through the firewall near the distributor to an evaporator coil right in front of the shift lever.

I'd like to replace that non-functional unit with a Vintage Air system (http://www.vintageair.com/2017%20Cat...talog%2036.pdf). That system works by replacing the heater core and box, with all the hoses going inside through an adapter that bolts up where the box originally was.

My question, though, is regarding routing the hoses. Should I consider swapping the alternator and the compressor to reduce hassles routing the hoses?

Has anyone surmounted this problem before? I'd appreciate any insight.

Brian
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Adding a/c to a 305?

If you have a 305 with a A/C bracket already. Use it where it is. You can't just swap sides. The brackets you have or the brackets they supply won't work. Hoses run from the compressor to the bulkhead adaptor plate. That adaptor is a place to mount bulkhead "connectors/fittings" to receive the outside hoses and, I assume, on the inside there are hoses to the evaporator. Your only issue is if you have to buy some universal hose kit from them to reach. The A/C is designed for Chevy. For what motor? I don't know. From what I see, that's my opinion.
P.S. The picture in your link does NOT seem to show all the A/C hoses needed. Better call them, tell them hose kit not shown? and is NOT mentioned?
This Pic shows it and the manual says 60-63.

Last edited by AZKen; June 12th, 2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:26 PM

Truck: 1961 Suburban
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road

Ken,

Thanks for your input -- how would you route the hoses from the drivers side accessory mount to the bulkhead connector? Fasten them to the fan shroud?

B
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:44 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

This is the kind of thing you have to have in front of you to figure wire routing and hose routing. You have to see on what side the drier/condenser connections are. On the compressor you will have one hose to firewall (evaporator) and one hose to one side of condenser. You will have a hose from evaporator (firewall) to other side of condenser. You want short routes, away from hot stuff, well supported and of course following the instructions regarding routing. You can't plan all that now. You can search the internet to see all manor of AC installs including Vintage Air on 6066 trucks. Over and across the motor is not forbidden. Fan shroud seems "out of the way routing" but I'm not sure.
When you get the kit you will then see the proximity of all the hose connections and plan the install. It will be fun. No "sweat".
Let us know how it goes, any questions and post some pics.

Last edited by AZKen; June 12th, 2017 at 09:18 PM.