6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Other Rides and Projects

Other Rides and Projects Working on another year GMC? Maybe a Chevy, Dodge, F*rd, or even refinishing cabinets? Share your progress or start a build thread and let members follow along!

Old October 4th, 2016, 01:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default How to change a tire with a Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Tire Changer

Hi guys. I haven't written anything in a while due to life getting in the way, Cecilia being broken with a part I can't find (but should be arriving any day) and other kid related nonsense so when the opportunity came to swap out tires on the Redhead's F250 truck (old ones were falling apart) I pulled out the old tire changing station again.

It cost $45 bucks from Harborfreight.com

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Every time I get this out I spend another hour trying to figure out how to use it again. Then I finally get the hang of things after the first three, and the last one goes on in about 20 minutes. The directions are of no help.

So here's a step by step on using that sucker for anyone with a manual tire changer or with a hankering for self torture. Sure, I could pay $20 bucks to have some professional put it on, but that's about $60.00 an hour for tire changing. I'm worth that much, right?

Ok, so here goes!

Step 1. Plop the old tire on the hump on the side that's supposed to hold it while you pop the bead. Now remove the valve stem with a $5.00 valve stem removal tool. Be ready for it to fly out of there when you pull the tool out. Don't lose it!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Step 2.
Put the bead popper on the tire right where the tire enters the rim, but just a 1/4 inch off the rim. You'll have to hold it there with your foot while you push down. If it doesn't break with three tries, spin the tire 6" and try a different spot. Once it breaks, spin it around and keep breaking the bead until that side of the tire is free of the rim. Then flip the tire over and do the same again.

Step 3.
Now for the secret - put a bead of motor oil around the bead on both sides. Not a lot, just a dribble around the edge where the tire meets the rim. DONT SKIP THIS STEP!

Step 4.
Now move the tire to the top post and lock it in place with the lug hole post and the spin-on holding rod. Make sure the pretty side is facing upward.

Rub some oil on the tire removal rod. Poke the tire removal rod through the tire and brace it against the center post. You should be able to just push against the post and it'll run the tire off the rim. Don't be afraid to really bang it if you need to, but the front of the tire is the easiest.

Step 5
Do the same for the back of the tire. That one's the toughest. This is the hardest part of the whole thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old October 4th, 2016, 01:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to change a tire with a Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Tire Changer

Putting the new tire on is soooo much easier.

Step 1.
Place the new tire on the rim with half of the tire hanging already on where you want it.

Step 2.
Flip your tire removal bar over so that the smoothish part is facing upward. Both this picture and the next show it facing the wrong way because I was in a hurry to get the pic and forgot. Once you start prying though, you'll remember, haha! Poke it in the tire and pry upward (push your end up). That flips the tire over the rim and onto it. Move along at about 4 inch intervals all the way around the tire repeating this fancy move.

Step 3.
Do the same with the front of the tire. It's still pretty easy. Just work your way around and it'll POP when it goes on.

Step 5.
Finally, just put the valve stem back in (or a new one). Then air it up and you're off to the races. Don't do like I did and air it up sitting on the grass. You'll get grass in the bead and it'll leak down on you in the night. That's no fun. Put it on concrete to air it up.

And that's all there is to it. You can probably do one tire every 15-20 minutes if you're livin' right. And if you try to just use the instructions that come with the tool you'll end up taking over an hour per tire. Now that's work!

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; October 4th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice

Are you actually saying the thing works? It's actually $36 with a 20% coupon which is sent to me in the mail all the time. thanks for the tutorial. Appreciated. I know that a lot of guys can make that with their welders and all that but $36 ain't bad?
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:00 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Are you actually saying the thing works? It's actually $36 with a 20% coupon which is sent to me in the mail all the time. thanks for the tutorial. Appreciated. I know that a lot of guys can make that with their welders and all that but $36 ain't bad?
Yup! I'd still prefer one of those $5000 pneumatic ones they use at the shop, but for the poor man like me this will save you $20 per tire (or whatever your shop charges to swap tires). Don't try to do it without the oil though or you'll kill yourself trying to get that old tire off. And gloves are a must, especially once the oil gets on the pry bar.