PDA

View Full Version : Red Headed Step Child

2-Ton
February 9th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I feel like a red headed step child here.
There is not any talk at all about the GMC 637ci V-8 gas engine.
Mine is running and sounding good, but I kind of feel left out.

Don King

sclor
February 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Well Red, give us some pictures of that beast! We are not shy on comments. We just need some material to get started!
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans

Cayoterun
February 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I agree with Steve: I've never seen one of your 637s. Post us some pics. We'll smother you with questions, and if possible offer a hand now and then. I'm sure you can help us too.

Our old GMCs have been used in so many different things, and have had so many different engines, but many are now obsolete, it fun to bring them back to life.

Heck, now you know what it's like to have a living, breathing, dinasaur. Enjoy.

Belly up to the keyboard, and let's swap GMC yarns.
Welcome to the forum.

Corts60
February 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM
To **** with pics, I want to see a video! I've been searching all over the Internet to find a video so I can hear that beast!

2-Ton
February 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
I don't feel like a step child now.
By the way, I am married to a redhead, so that gives me some right's for using that term.

Still trying to learn how to post pics and should have a couple on my info name.
Headed up to the shop now to pull the "Flag Pole" out and do some cleaning.

I'll also be working a lot of overtime this spring and will not have much time to post, but will be reading and learning every chance I get.

I can see this site will be a great resource for information.

Thanks
Don

Funky61
February 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM
You own a Mythical legend; let's see it soon.

BillT
February 9th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Don,

Check out my signature.

Bill

2-Ton
February 10th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Bill, I heard GMC made a 637 Diesel also, Do you know if there is any truth to that?
I'm real new to these bigger than big blocks and would like any input I can get.

Thanks
Don

2-Ton
February 10th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Bill we need to talk, or I need to ask more questions.
I wondered if there was anybody that even heard about the 637.
When did you drive it and how did it run?
Gas hog I know, maybe 5 miles to the gallon at its best.

I have some commitments the next few days and will not be on here for a couple of days.
Looking foreward to more info and History on the 637 gasser.

Thanks!
Don King

BillT
February 10th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Don, I believe you are right, but I would have to check on it to be sure.

The 637 is pretty rare. I've been a big truck fan since my teens and I've never seen or even heard another 637, except in pictures and YouTube videos.

Mine was extra rare, as it was in a '71 GMC 9500 Conventional Cab, along with a 10-Speed Road Ranger Trans.

Most, if not all of the ones I know of online are in Fire Trucks like you have.

What kind of Trans do you have in your truck?

BillT
February 10th, 2013, 01:24 AM

I have some commitments the next few days and will not be on here for a couple of days.

Thanks!
Don King

Don, I was answering your first reply when you wrote this new one, lol.

I drove the truck in the early to mid '70's when I was working for a lumber yard. It was a Tandem Axel with a 20Ft Flatbed Dump Body on it. It ran pretty good. It was a "Revver" and acted more like a Detroit Diesel. It required a lot of shifting, like a Detroit would, especially if I had a full load and up and down hills.

You are about right on the Fuel Mileage. I believe it got an all around 5, but at the same time, it didn't seem like I was always filling the tank.

Bill

6066gmcguy
February 10th, 2013, 05:45 AM
The 637 V8 was the engine that replaced the 702 V12 in 1966, and yes they did made a Diesel Version as well. I have not seen either enigne in person, and only vary few not so good photos, I have none in my collection on Photos.

2-Ton
February 10th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Well Jolly,
I'll have to post some pictures and maybe a video when I learn how to do that stuff.
Don't be in any hurry though, the over time cloud is starting to move in and when it hits I'm gone for a while.

Don

turbobill
February 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
The 637's are rare. I'd imagine the 637 Toro-Flows are even more rare.

When I was looking for a 478 in the mid to late 80's, I did run across a 637 in a junkyard. He'd had it for years and wanted $1500 for it. At that time, I though it was grossly overpriced so I passed on it.

BillT
February 10th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Unless it was a low mile, like new engine, I agree $1500 was a lot of money for one back then.

The 637 Gas Engines sound a lot different that one would think. Compared to a 478 they sound just about completely different. I would love to hear how a 637 Diesel would sound, even if it was just on YouTube.

Bill

Cayoterun
February 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Thanks!
Don King

We have sayin' here I think fits our GMC Vs.

"IF YOUR GONNA' PLOW A WIDE SWATH, YA' GOTTA' BUY HAY FOR THE HORSES.'

I like that!