PDA

View Full Version : Stopping a thief from taking your truck.

6066gmcguy
February 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM
These trucks are easy to steal and vary popular, I hear stories all the time about trucks that dissapear over night. So lets talk about ways to made it harder for the Thief to take your truck.

Vent windows are nice to have and easy to brake in thru, so you should think about a vent window lock. I know there are some on the market.

Another good thing is a battery disconnect switch, you don't need to have one like this one below, but a good one should be out of sight and easy for the owner to reach.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o612/6066gmcguy/GMC%203505%20Rescue%20Squad/BatterySwitch-01_zps493c9a12.jpg

This switch is in my truck, I can shut off both batteries or just one or the other.

A hiddin Kill switch helps too, but it should be something that hooks to the negitive side of the coil, so that if some one hot wires your truck it still wont run.

Speacking of hot wiring, you mite want to look into a lock for the Hood, keeping the thief out from under the hood will stop them from hot wiring it or by passing you battery disconnect. also helps keep your battery from walking away durning the night, which I had happen once.

6066gmcguy
February 10th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I have not seen one of these but they claim "The best anti theft device for your car or truck . . . period ! Not one vehicle ever stolen !"

Ravelco Anti Theft Device (http://www.ravelco.com/).

BarryGMC
February 10th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I just installed A kill switch for the coil, and 1/4 turn valve for the fuel. Even if they get it started it wont get far.

FetchMeAPepsi
February 12th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I always figured I'd buy a lojack for cecilia. That way if she is stolen I can just call the cops and have them go rescue her. It's 600 bucks one time fee if I remember right.

6066gmcguy
February 12th, 2013, 12:50 AM
some times those don't work so well, if the cops get right on it than maybe but in an hour they could already have it stripped and the parts packed off to part unknown.

I think keeping in the driveway is better then having to wait for some else to track it down, I heard of a guy that used an electric fence on an older truck, with all the metal that just mite be the way to go, hook it up and anyone touches it they get a shock.

I think if you hid the cord under ground so it comes up under the truck they would not even know what was going on.

BillT
February 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I used to have a time-delay kill switch with a slow burning fuse. They will get it started and get maybe a 100 or 2 foot away and then the whole thing will go dead. What I like about this switch is they will make enough noise to let you know what's going on, but then don't get too far and abandon the vehicle.

For a Hood Lock, I bought a parts truck once and the guy had a Flat Bar about 1" X 1/8" and about 3 Ft Long, attached from under the Hood (near the Hood Latch) and let it drop down to somewhere under the Bumper where he had a Pad Lock. What is nice about this Lock is, with a Wing Nut at the top of it, you can quickly dis-connect the whole thing whenever you want to, like when going to a truck show.

Bill