PDA

View Full Version : Where to find replacement dash/gauges?

nifty
February 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I'm having difficulty finding replacement gauges to fit the original dash on my 1966 I1000. Been looking at Autometer, VDO, and Dolphin, but can't find (3) separate 3 3/8" electric gauges to fit the dash. I've only found Speedo's and Tach's in that size... anybody got a recommendation for me?

6066gmcguy
February 18th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Not sure what you want, I just stocked up on some extra gauge clusters and switched out for what i was building. see thsi page of the site: Custom GMC Instrument Cluster (http://www.6066gmcguy.org/dash.htm)

jimjaz
February 19th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I looked into Boese Engineering here in Tempe AZ (where I live), and although they do good milling work, I did not like the way that this milled plate was going to fit into the "cluster recess". It was basically a bunch of 90-degree bent elbows with screws that could attach the plate to the dash surround. I tried envisioning just how difficult this would be to install into a 62-66 dash pocket from the backside. I decided that the overall design was cheesy and would not be user-friendly in the least to install, or to de-install, so I moved on. Found a guy on e-Bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4592707093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 that was selling milled plates for the 60-66 GMC and wound up buying one of his, only to find that this 1/4" thick aluminum plate when mounted into the existing plastic bezel surround (yes, you need a sacrificial instrument cluster to do it this way, basically cutting out the entire recessed area with the OEM instruments and leaving about a 1/4" lip at the back/bottom for the plate to rest on without falling through) covered up the screw mounting holes that are specific in depth to mount an OEM bezel into the hole and have the 6 screw holes line up properly so that the plastic bezel outer edge is flush. I wound up keeping the plate, but had to mill 0.200 of the overall 0.250" thick plate a full 1/2" in on the backside so the plate drops into the cutout (original) bezel surround with the holes to mount exposed.
As to the gauges, I found that Classic Instruments has some nice stuff. They have 3-gauge 3 3/8" packages available, but not cheap at about $600 for the gauges. I chose the 6-gauge package, since this is how the plate I bought was milled. I think it will look really nice once I get it done and ready to mount (as the original bezel mounts) Hope this helps you out in your quest for gauges. Jim J. Tempe AZ

WDShaffer
February 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I found a great deal on a set of Autometer gauges, but I too will wind up creating my own surround...but I'm handy that way...some are not or want to keep the stock look...I think Jolly has a real trig setup there.

Vernski
February 19th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I'm having difficulty finding replacement gauges to fit the original dash on my 1966 I1000. Been looking at Autometer, VDO, and Dolphin, but can't find (3) separate 3 3/8" electric gauges to fit the dash. I've only found Speedo's and Tach's in that size... anybody got a recommendation for me?
Try Bob's speedometer give it a google I bought a 3 3/8" clock from them when they were not quite so spendy if that's what your looking for...Vernski:D

tonyb1
March 28th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Here is another option, I ran across.

http://www.customlineperformance.com/1964-66-gmc-custom-dash-cluster.html

I bought it as a blank and set up (3) 3-3/8 clusters, speedo, tach, and quad gauges - it gives it a nice SS look.

GMCNUT
March 29th, 2016, 02:48 PM
you can always have your cluster bezel re-chromed and guages re-faced. Here's what mine looks like - I installed NOS Tach and Clock guages but this is how both would look if you restored originals. Redline guage does this, and several others - same for plastic chroming. Mr G's and several others do vacuum metalizing on plastic