PDA

View Full Version : Correct original seat fabric picture needed!!

GMCNUT
March 1st, 2013, 05:37 AM
Here's a really odd-ball topic to throw at you guys I guess - I am wanting to get the correct original seat fabric from a source I have for my 64 GMC Custom Cab pickup but it does not have any of the original fabric on the seats anymore because they were recovered years ago - so what I do have is a correct custom cab seat cover from another 62-66 truck (see pics) but I saved it so long ago I do not remember what year the truck was it came out of - so I do not know if this one is correct for 1964 specifically or not - certain colored bodies could get bright colored vinyl trim and color-coordinated fabrics from as far back as the 1950's, and I know in the 62-66 GMC's some Custom Cab trucks got a Fawn and Black patterned seat fabric matching the interior paint vs a bright one like this but not sure what made a truck get one over the other aside from color combination and maybe the exact year model....

So, does anyone out there have an original 64 GMC seat fabric sample or a picture to share? The fabric types changed from one year to the next, but I have seen this fabric I have in 63 and 66 trucks before, so I just don't know....does anyone in this group know?

Vernski
March 2nd, 2013, 02:56 AM
Here's a really odd-ball topic to throw at you guys I guess - I am wanting to get the correct original seat fabric from a source I have for my 64 GMC Custom Cab pickup but it does not have any of the original fabric on the seats anymore because they were recovered years ago - so what I do have is a correct custom cab seat cover from another 62-66 truck (see pics) but I saved it so long ago I do not remember what year the truck was it came out of - so I do not know if this one is correct for 1964 specifically or not - certain colored bodies could get bright colored vinyl trim and color-coordinated fabrics from as far back as the 1950's, and I know in the 62-66 GMC's some Custom Cab trucks got a Fawn and Black patterned seat fabric matching the interior paint vs a bright one like this but not sure what made a truck get one over the other aside from color combination and maybe the exact year model....

So, does anyone out there have an original 64 GMC seat fabric sample or a picture to share? The fabric types changed from one year to the next, but I have seen this fabric I have in 63 and 66 trucks before, so I just don't know....does anyone in this group know?

Here is some fabric that is similar that might work the original type may be hard to find here is a link...Vernski:D

http://www.yourautotrim.com/hoaufa.html

jimjaz
March 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
You can get the correct fabric and vinyl bolster trim from SMS Fabrics up in Oregon. The seat fabric you show is most likely from a turquoise colored truck. The fabric color for the Custom trim trucks varied by exterior color, but the fabric itself is all pretty much the same- expensive!
I did two Suburbans with the fabric I got from SMS (all three rows), the cost was $1,215. in 2008.

jbgroby
March 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Since we're on the subject of seat covers, I thought some members would want to see what a delux vinyl seat looked like. I had gotten a parts truck and the seat was unmolested. I was planning on dropping this in my restored truck but lost it to Katrina - that witch.

jbgroby
March 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
more

GMCNUT
March 2nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
You can get the correct fabric and vinyl bolster trim from SMS Fabrics up in Oregon. The seat fabric you show is most likely from a turquoise colored truck. The fabric color for the Custom trim trucks varied by exterior color, but the fabric itself is all pretty much the same- expensive!
I did two Suburbans with the fabric I got from SMS (all three rows), the cost was $1,215. in 2008.

I need to know what part # you got from SMS for this fabric - this pattern would be fine and dandy - what they sent me was Chevrolet fabric samples and pictures from a Chevy data book showing the seat....not correct like they usually do for me

GMCNUT
March 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
Since we're on the subject of seat covers, I thought some members would want to see what a delux vinyl seat looked like. I had gotten a parts truck and the seat was unmolested. I was planning on dropping this in my restored truck but lost it to Katrina - that witch.

That is a 100% vinyl seat Jake - the Custom / Deluxe trucks came w/ fabric on the cushion and backrest trimmed in vinyl according to the GMC Data book

GMCNUT
March 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM

Do you want to sell this seat Jake? I have another GMC I might like to drop that into if you are wanting to get rid of it

Corts60
March 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Jake lost that vinyl seat in Hurricane Katrina.

So I also use SMS auto because they are driving distance from me, which is nice. Here is the original third seat out of my '60 Suburban and they have the material there. They want about $90/yard last I checked though about two years ago now.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/Corts76/SDC16293.jpg

jimjaz
March 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Jake,

I have the receipt from SMS indicating the following cloth colors and numbers- the fabric design is the same for all;
2450 Fawn definitely the most common, and what I ordered.
2449 Blue
2448 Aqua
3421 Green

Also silver vinyl, and white vinyl, but no numbers. They do reproduce the vinyl, it is not OEM as the fabrics are.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
They were quite helpful on the phone, and can send you out samples of what you express an interest in.
Two more pics of a redone middle seat bench that is out of the truck.
Good luck !

GMCNUT
March 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Jake lost that vinyl seat in Hurricane Katrina.

So I also use SMS auto because they are driving distance from me, which is nice. Here is the original third seat out of my '60 Suburban and they have the material there. They want about $90/yard last I checked though about two years ago now.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/Corts76/SDC16293.jpg

yep - they sent me this sample for the 1960 Suburban I have - this particular pattern was for the N series trucks only.

GMCNUT
March 2nd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Jake,

I have the receipt from SMS indicating the following cloth colors and numbers- the fabric design is the same for all;
2450 Fawn definitely the most common, and what I ordered.
2449 Blue
2448 Aqua
3421 Green

Also silver vinyl, and white vinyl, but no numbers. They do reproduce the vinyl, it is not OEM as the fabrics are.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/
They were quite helpful on the phone, and can send you out samples of what you express an interest in.
Two more pics of a redone middle seat bench that is out of the truck.
Good luck !

PERFECT!!!! I was hoping someone would know these - I thought the Blue, Aqua and Green were the other choices but was not sure this is exactly what I needed - Thanks JIMJAZ!!

Andice
March 15th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Here is an image of what SMS made for me recently followed by an image of the way the truck was outfitted at the factory

Rick
March 17th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Hello,

I agree that SMS in Oregon is the best place to get upholstery. However, If you want "as original" I do not see anything like what was there originally. The original seats in both Chev & GMC were VERY basic. Doesn't matter if you had basic or custom. They were VERY PLANE. Nothing fancy. However, that being said, I doubt anyone has the original fabric. So, anything "period correct" will work.

This is my take, & I was in high school when these trucks were new. Friends of mine bought these trucks, They were really basic in the early 60's.

Rick Rusconi

GMCNUT
March 17th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Hello,

I agree that SMS in Oregon is the best place to get upholstery. However, If you want "as original" I do not see anything like what was there originally. The original seats in both Chev & GMC were VERY basic. Doesn't matter if you had basic or custom. They were VERY PLANE. Nothing fancy. However, that being said, I doubt anyone has the original fabric. So, anything "period correct" will work.

This is my take, & I was in high school when these trucks were new. Friends of mine bought these trucks, They were really basic in the early 60's.

Rick Rusconi

Well, Rick, I am not sure why you would say the seats were plain regardless of whether or not you got a Custom or plain jane truck when if you start with my #1 picture and scroll down through all the pictures supplied by members in this thread I would say there is more than adequate photographic evidence to prove there was not only a difference, but a HUGE difference between a Custom cab seat and a plain stamped vinyl one. The seats are constructed and covered entirely differently.
Also, I just got my samples from SMS and they have NOS GM GMC fabric for the Custom seats and the correct off-white vinyl for the backrest strip, and the correct Fawn/Blue/Green/ Aqua vinyl for the front and rear surround vinyl. So I am ordering all mine Monday and will reconstruct the seat in this Custom cab 64 to look identical in every way to the photo of my original cover in the photo at the beginning of this thread.

jimjaz
March 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Beg to differ with you, Rick.
What you describe as very basic and plain would be your standard-issue, non-Custom truck. The pictures of my 63 Custom Suburban showing all 3 rows in fabric and 2 vinyls were reproduced "as original" using OEM fabric from SMS.

Your basic non-Custom pickup or Suburban from the day would also be lacking in things like armrests, passenger sunvisor, deluxe heater, and pretty much chrome anything. The hardest thing to bear in any non-Custom truck of the era would be the 100% vinyl seating.

Corts60
March 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I also disagree with you Rick. The sample sent to me for my GMC seats for the cloth and vinyl sections are 100% identical. They make reproduction fabrics in house and to exact specifications. It is the closest thing you are going to get to original and far better than just "period correct"