PDA

View Full Version : DMV title correction

fthfpm1
March 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1966 GMC p-up. The title is a bit of a mess and does not accurately identify the VIN, Body style...etc. How this passed the DMV is a mystery.???

1) The Vin # on the tile starts with a "1" where I believe it should start with an "I" for Inline - first correction I need to make.
2) the next item is the vehicle model. My VIN # starts with (I 1002) Therefore it should mean this is a Model 1000 with a 127" wheelbase.

My real question is - I've seem GMC owners identify this truck as a C1000 and a 1000 Model. I want to enter the correct Model on the new corrected DMV title, so what is correct?

fthfpm1

David R Leifheit
March 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1966 GMC p-up. The title is a bit of a mess and does not accurately identify the VIN, Body style...etc. How this passed the DMV is a mystery.???

1) The Vin # on the tile starts with a "1" where I believe it should start with an "I" for Inline - first correction I need to make.
2) the next item is the vehicle model. My VIN # starts with (I 1002) Therefore it should mean this is a Model 1000 with a 127" wheelbase.

My real question is - I've seem GMC owners identify this truck as a C1000 and a 1000 Model. I want to enter the correct Model on the new corrected DMV title, so what is correct?

fthfpm1

I don't think a GMC owner would -ever- classify this as a C10 or C1000 since that would designate it a Chevrolet.
It is a 1000 series
Yes, it should be an "I" and not a 1, although on the VIN plates they look an awful lot alike.
As for passing the DMV, different states had different rules for titles.

fthfpm1
March 7th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Thank you sir...!! Thant's the stuff I was looking for.

BTW - you'd be surprised how many GMC 1000 for sale ARE identified as C10 and C1000.

Thanks for clarifying.
Now the fun begins trying to fix this with the NJDMV....lovely people work there.

fthfpm1