PDA

View Full Version : 305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ?

GMC-HDV6
March 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Pistons ? Rods ? Valves ? Lifters ? Camshaft ? Bearings ? Rings ? Gaskets and seals ?

I'm curious where you guys are getting your parts for these engines. I been told by many engine shops "enjoy it while its running and throw it away when it wears out" disheartening . . .

This really how these GMC-V6s are ? !
Mike

bigblockv6
March 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM
401 pistons are being reproduced at least for this displacement, there's a set of these on ebay. Talking about ebay a lot of other V6 engine parts like gaskets and bearings frequently show up. As far as valves you don't necessarily have to ones specific to the GMC V6, one member is using valves from a Caterpillar Diesel, the advantage there is eliminating the hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valves that snap from over-revving. NOS parts have definitely diminished over the last couple of years but with perserverence you can find them. I'm always searching and it's too the point I've got enough parts to fully rebuild a 351E, 401M and another 478M that I have. Mills engine in Louisiana had quite a few parts and even a fully rebuilt 379 about 2 years ago, problem was most of their pistons are standard size. Another source would be ThunderV12.com, true most of their parts are for the 702 V12 which shares many parts with the 351 V6 but they're basically remanufacturing the V12's.

bigblockv6
March 11th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Other things to bring up is rods can be resized, lifters are interchangeable with the 235 Chevrolet inline six, you can even switch over to hydraulic lifters provided the cam is reground for that application, I had my 478M's cam reground to a performance grind and even the solid lifters were refaced for it A donor engine just for parts can be a great help.

GMC-HDV6
March 11th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Well I'm going to be restoring the truck in which this 305D V6 is located. Its been running great for years and years. If going to set a freshly painted rust free body around the V6 I'd like the engine to also be freshly rebuilt with all new parts as well.

I have a 305D V6 the 140hp/260tq net power version :D
Mike

FetchMeAPepsi
March 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Kantor used to carry rebuild kits for the 305V6. I don't see them on there now but you can try emailing them

www.kanter.com

I bought an extra engine to have spare parts on hand. There's one on Ebay in Texas for 200 bux.

GMC-HDV6
March 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
A parts engine ? ! Like a piston from this one and rod from that one ? ! I don't much like the sounds of that idea myself really.

Something about rebuilding an engine with used parts seems a bit counter productive.
Mike

BarryGMC
March 13th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Think about it. When these engines were built it was mass produced. Racks of parts put in thousands of engines. I have built tons of engines. Its all about the #s. If the #s are good it does not mater. I have rebuilt Rolls Royce engines which are truely hand built. One man one engine!!!! Its all about the #s!!! I have engines running back to the 20's and every engine I have Has 2 or 3 parts engines on hand. Soon I will fix a 27 white truck engine. Its standard. It has a cracked piston at the wrist pin. all of the piston I have are .30 over. I will bore that hole and wiegh the piston and match the weight. Simple! I have seen so many engines that went through the factory repair shop for casting repairs or whatever that I have no problem with fixing this stuff to run well. DONT OVER THINK IT.

GMC-HDV6
March 13th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't be running. One cylinder .030 over and the rest standard, They'd all be bored out .030 over that sounds cobbled up to me. Actually sounds worse than a rebuild with used parts.

I guess I will run it like the engine shop said, once it quits running put another engine in its place.
Mike

FetchMeAPepsi
March 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I just heard back from Kantor

We currently do not offer a full rebuild kit for the 305 V6 due to availability of the pistons rod bearings and valves. We hope to have some parts re-manufactured in the future but no ETD on those.

We do still offer individual parts. Our catalog has the most current pricing and we can send one out for free.
Looks like they have some parts. You could cobble one together.

Here's this from the archives

Finding parts cheap and US made
Merle's Carburetor Inc in Portland, Oregon 97202 - 503-232-6511.
Central Cylinder Head Repair, Portland
http://centralcylinderheadinc.com/
American made Bearings& Seals Applied Bearing Portland (no chinese auto parts store junk, please)
driveline straightening / fabrication portland (I havve a friend that is really cheap) but otherwise www.drivelinetech.com/ (http://www.drivelinetech.com/)
or http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp
Dana/Warn parts (including screws, etc)
http://www.sixstates.com/products/products.jsp
You might convince Mike Locicero aat Import Auto to work on your Dana 60's, xfer cases, xmissions, steering and suspension 971 207 0573 - he has a gear hob&
shaper tor fabbing custom gears
clutch, brake relining, water pumps http://www.autofriction.com/
U bolts Benz Spring http://www.benzspring.com/ (you will need them...)
Manual xmission parts http://www.alltransmission.com/
Automatic xmission parts http://nwtparts.com/
Any xmisssion rebuild -- Beaverton All Transmission - (expensive but it works)
nationwide warranty http://www.beavertonalltransmission.com/
17 gauge muffler CanbyMuffler 825 Southwest 1st Avenue Canby, OR 97013-3824
(503) 266-6066 (Midas is thinner)
Steering gear http://www.steeringgearrepair.com/
Misc Autoinstruments.com

GMC-HDV6
March 14th, 2013, 03:08 PM
As long as you don't need rod bearings, Valves, or pistons from the sounds of it . . .

Mike

GMC-HDV6
March 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I emailed them almost a week ago about a REO 331 rebuild kit out of curiosity.
Haven't heard a thing back from them yet.

Mike

FetchMeAPepsi
March 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM
My reply was next day so I'd call them or send it again. They seemed really nice and helpful.

GMC-HDV6
March 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I resent my email, it was last Thursday I sent it off. So its been 5 days anyway so I will see if I get a reply from them this time.

You'd think if they had nothing they would tell a guy ? !
Mike

Corts60
March 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I'll bet Kanter is probably more keen to talk on the phone than answer emails.

IndianJoe
March 26th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Just spoke to Kanter yesterday. I want to rebuild the 305E in my truck. The salesman was excellant, but informed me that thay did not have any pistons and didn't know when they would get any in.

I realy concerned now. I have a knock in the lower end of my engine and want to tear it down to investigate. If I need pistons, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Any one have any ideas?

Joe

Andice
March 27th, 2013, 01:20 AM
Have you contacted EGGE? They seem to have quite a bit of piston variety and can possibly MAKE pistons for you. I was lucky, I found a '66 GMC 305E that had been run on propane since the day it was purchased. Clean inside and performs like new. Just need to get the truck away from the painter!

bigblockv6
March 27th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joe, you may want to try some of the forklift engine rebuilders for pistons, most likely they would want your engine for the rebuild. Try "All Forklift Parts" (909-356-1771) for a Hyster 305 V6. Another would be "Budget's Forklift Engines" (800-821-3796). The Hyster application is basically a 305C V6, 4 rings per piston and don't worry about the extra ring because even GMC superceeded the 3 ring application in the early 70's for standardization purposes in 305E replacement pistons.

raycow
March 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
For pistons you might want to take a look here:
http://webpages.charter.net/beckracing/slvpg55.htm

I have used this brand (Silvolite) before with complete satisfaction, but it wasn't in a V-6.

Ray

GVDobler
April 12th, 2013, 02:52 AM
A parts engine ? ! Like a piston from this one and rod from that one ? ! I don't much like the sounds of that idea myself really.

Something about rebuilding an engine with used parts seems a bit counter productive.
Mike

There is a book about doing that with small block chevy engines. If I can find it I fill send you the title.

He describes rebuilding small blocks just as you describe. He makes a pretty good case and describes what he looks for and what he tosses out. Now there are piles of small block parts out there to go through, unlike our V6. I would rather have all new stuff too, but I don't think anyone is going to repop any of it. All the parts numbers of parts that were being made a few years ago have just evaporated.

BarryGMC
April 12th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Is anyone running a Duramax? Or a 6.5 chevy diesel. Each piston is fit to the cylinder individually. There is quite a range of sizes. The bottom of the block is stamped A,B,C at each journal for the piston size. Also ford and GM put individual oversized pistons and undersized bearings in new engines. Chrysler probably did to but I have not seen it. Personally I save all unusual oversize piston I find. Remember Its all about the clearances.

BossChevy62
April 13th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Who is the guy who found Caterpillar Diesel valves that fit their GMC V6? I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 from top to bottom, inside and out, and my intake valves need to be replaced but I can't find them anywhere. I have tried EGGE and Kanter, Ebay, etc. with no luck. The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings. I had my cam custom ground to my specs by CompCams, and I found most of the engine parts like bearings, gaskets, timing chain set, oil pump, etc. at NAPA auto parts and Oreilly's. One of the biggest challenges was the main bearings, I found a guy in Louisiana who had a box of NOS bearings, because they don't exist anymore. I also picked up a set of hydraulic lifters for a chevy 235 inline 6, so I can have nice quiet smooth valves. The last piece of the puzzle to complete this engine is a set of intake valves, so if anyone has any, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

phelan
May 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Can't help you there, but I will say that CP Pistons could probably make a set as well if someone needs. I have bought some in the past (under the "Hurricane" name, sold by NRHS Performance) for a hot rod Harley I was building. Dan@NRHS told me a few years ago that they can make pretty much whatever you want IIRC.

Cayoterun
May 11th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Many of us feel your pain!!!
It would be nice if there was a section in this forum, somehow divided by engine size, so that when we found a source, even if they will only custom make, or any parts that will interchange, of the different parts, we can post them there for other members to share the source and info.

Who is the guy who found Caterpillar Diesel valves that fit their GMC V6? I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 from top to bottom, inside and out, and my intake valves need to be replaced but I can't find them anywhere. I have tried EGGE and Kanter, Ebay, etc. with no luck. The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings. I had my cam custom ground to my specs by CompCams, and I found most of the engine parts like bearings, gaskets, timing chain set, oil pump, etc. at NAPA auto parts and Oreilly's. One of the biggest challenges was the main bearings, I found a guy in Louisiana who had a box of NOS bearings, because they don't exist anymore. I also picked up a set of hydraulic lifters for a chevy 235 inline 6, so I can have nice quiet smooth valves. The last piece of the puzzle to complete this engine is a set of intake valves, so if anyone has any, or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

OdieTN
March 17th, 2018, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys - old thread, I know, but just wondering how you have come with locating parts. Did you find valves / did the Cat valves work?
Will pistons from 409 V8 work?

Thanks

bigblockv6
March 17th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Pistons from a 409 will not work there is absolutely nothing that is compatible between the GMC V6 and Chivy 409!:pullinghairout: Just because there is only a slight resemblance to the shape of the valve covers doesn't mean one is based off the other:lolsmack2: It was posted a while back which Cat Diesel Valves to use but this is for the Magnum head engines and does not apply to the 305. You can still find stock valves on ebay.

Chuck78
June 27th, 2019, 03:16 PM
The other impossible to find item was the oversize pistons, I had to have them made by Arias Pistons, and they were $1100 for the set(forged 3-ring pistons), including new wrist pins, retainers, and piston rings.

Old post...jumping back several years to ask if you still have info on this...
Dealing with JE Pistons for motorcycle custom pistons, as well as CP and WIseco.
If you have your invoice or boxes for the pistons or any info, others may perhaps be able to use your order # and name to have Arias dig up the drawings that they had your pistons machined from, and be able to reproduce a set for other GMC big block 305 V6 owners.
If you are still around here and have that info, re-posting would be very beneficial!

I had got on here today looking for info on engine mounts, as I have new bellhousing mounts but couldn't remember what to look for or where to buy V6 engine mounts or alternative parts. It would be nice if we had a sticky thread to aggregate a list of all known part numbers and alternative parts that will work. Like my starter motor - I got a starter for my truck off of a part number mentioned here a dozen years ago, and everything was the same except the mounting nose, which I was able to swap from my original onto the new reman old Chevy big block (Corvette? 348?409? 427?) starter motor parts.
One definitive list collecting all of this info in one place would be really helpful.
I realize a lot of parts such as crank main and rod big end bearings are just TOUGH to find, but for some parts, members have found more obscure sources for these parts, and perhaps we could start posting for info in one place to make searches simpler.

Thanks!

Chuck Lambert in Columbus, Ohio, USA

Quigley
June 28th, 2019, 07:12 PM
401 Pistons may be listed on E bay,but they don't have any or rings. They all come from Kanter. Main bearings also are pretty scarce. I don't know of any 305 pistons available right now either. Most of the other stuff you can find. Gaskets for the bigger V6s are hit and miss. Dave

James
June 29th, 2019, 01:25 AM
One definitive list collecting all of this info in one place would be really helpful.
I realize a lot of parts such as crank main and rod big end bearings are just TOUGH to find, but for some parts, members have found more obscure sources for these parts, and perhaps we could start posting for info in one place to make searches simpler.

Thanks!

Chuck Lambert in Columbus, Ohio, USA

On one of Jolly pages there is part number with the manufacture name that has been helpful for me.
http://6066gmcguy.com/partnumbers.html
:thumbsup:

bigblockv6
June 29th, 2019, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=Quigley;71251]401 Pistons may be listed on E bay,but they don't have any or rings. They all come from Kanter.
I do remember quite a few years back Packard Industries was starting to reproduce 401 pistons and there was a feature on Jolly's site. Packard Industries is basically an offshoot of Kanter's.

hooley
November 26th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Hi there im looking for a lifter and push rod for a gmc toroflow D478 circa 1970s , at least thats what i think it is? Any of you fellows have one lying around or know of where i could attempt to get one. Its appears to be the hollow type, where the push rod lies deeper into it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you christian