PDA

View Full Version : Glove Box Inserts

FetchMeAPepsi
March 14th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Have any of you used the repop glove box innards? I'm talking about the box that bolts inside the door and holds your stuff.

I see they're made like the original with particleboard and I'm wondering if they get a splash of rain on them from my less than perfect window gaskets if they'll fall apart in the floorboards.

Vernski
March 15th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Have any of you used the repop glove box innards? I'm talking about the box that bolts inside the door and holds your stuff.

I see they're made like the original with particleboard and I'm wondering if they get a splash of rain on them from my less than perfect window gaskets if they'll fall apart in the floorboards.

Yes even the old original were prone to moisture and warp out of shape and probley fall out on the floor if wet enough and I don't think they make any water proof one's even the repop's but they may never hurt's to ask a supplier. It would be better to fix the leaks first because the water causes rust and other problems in the long run. You could make one out of something that wouldn't rust or warp out of shape. Good luck...Vernski:eek:

jbgroby
March 16th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I sprayed a couple of coats of water proof on the outside and inside, let dry for a few days. no problem. You can get it at a craft shop, shop shop, wal-mart etc.

GMCNUT
March 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I do not understand this post at all - if you need a windshield gasket you should buy one of those instead of a glovebox liner - if you are itching to buy fun goodies from the catalog companies, you should preserve the condition of your truck first. There is always time for new knobs, recovered seats and even glovebox liners....go get your windshield gasket replaced - they are inexpensive enough and worth their weight in gold. Then you can reasonably buy a glovebox liner and not worry about rain getting on it.....

FetchMeAPepsi
March 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM
You're right GMCNut. I should replace my gaskets ASAP. The catch there is that gaskets are $300 and that's just not in the budget right now. Cecilia's rust issues are minimal thank goodness so I'm not too concerned. It's a project I have planned for this summer.

The question about the glove box came about because my insurance card keeps falling off of the vent motor (behind the glove box door) where it's stashed every time I take the kids for a spin. It's only 15 bucks so I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with them in a moist environment. I just hate not having a place to put things.

Thanks for the idea about waterproofer. I'll probably try that. Although I guess I could just stick a small cooler in there sideways...

jbgroby
March 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM
GMCNUT,
the reason I did the water proof route was because we get 5 feet (60+ inches of rain a year) in the New Orleans region and the humidity hangs about 77+ percent almost all the time. We waterproof just about everything we can. I learned a long time ago to try as I can to water proof cardboard in most applications. I can even imagine what Oregon is like.

GMCNUT
March 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM
OK - Fetch, take a look at what I paid for my windshield seal using this link

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_049.html

Not arguing - my point is that for 29.00 you can re-seal the windshield or you can buy the glovebox insert for 12.00. Or buy both and be merry I say :)

FetchMeAPepsi
March 17th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the link GMCNut. I was looking at getting this one here so I can replace the whole thing at once. My windows are all held in with wishes and imagination.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DSK0100%2D63F

GMCNUT
March 18th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Fetch, I am sure after seeing my first link you have already explored the much cheaper priced options for such a kit from the Truck Shop, but in case you have not, here's the page you need to see - same stuff as in your Brothers kit but a heck of a lot less

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_054.html

FetchMeAPepsi
March 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Well shucks. Thanks again GMCNut. I tried to poke around their site a bit but the navigation is awkward so I didn't find anything. That's exactly what I needed and I can use the extra dough for other parts :)

So you're pretty happy with their weatherstripping? No problems or shrinkage etc?

GMCNUT
March 19th, 2013, 02:15 AM
To be honest I have bought a bunch of it but never used all of it - I liked the door and inner fender rubber I used, and I had good luck with the back glass rubber, but most of what I got is still in the packages yet....just bought it all because of the good prices....

Corts60
March 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM
DO NOT buy any windshield gasket except for a Precision Brand gasket. All other gaskets are cheap and ill fitting. You can get a precision brand gasket for $35 from American Classic truck parts. I just re-installed my windshield and I will post a link later to my thread on 67-72chevytrucks.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 19th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks Cort. W60-700 from there seems to be everything I need for $175

Corts60
March 19th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Here is the write for the install:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568864

WDShaffer
March 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Great write-up...we need to put that link in safe place. Thx Cort.

newbe351
March 19th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Back to the original question. One of the venders (LMC, Brothers, Classic Industries, someone) sells a plastic glove box because I almost got one. I went with the original cardboard type instead. Didn't think of the waterproofing, but I did beef up the seams with extra staples, and gave it a good duct tape coating (seeing as how my original was mostly duct tape, I figured why not just start out that way?). I've had it in and out several times messing with the heater and what not. It seems to be holding up OK. If I run across the plastic one, I'll post a link.

Note: Went through all my vendor links and I can't find a plastic glove box insert. Either they stopped making them or I imagined the whole thing. I’m going to look at my old catalogs; I could have sworn that someone had them. Old age is a..…..

BarryGMC
March 20th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Really??? If the windshield seal does not leak the glove box should be fine. I have 20 of these boxes. FIX THE seal And Dont worry.

FetchMeAPepsi
March 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Really??? If the windshield seal does not leak the glove box should be fine. I have 20 of these boxes. FIX THE seal And Dont worry.

Yep, I'll fix the seal but not till I get the dough. Thanks to Cort it's now only $200 bux instead of $300, but still not in the budget yet. I know alot of you guys make billions of dollars a year but I haven't perfected the act of pooping money, I'm working on it ;)