PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable Parts for GMC Trucks with other makes

FetchMeAPepsi
March 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Someone suggested having a thread about interchangeable parts in every category and it sounded like a good idea so heres one for dashes and interiors.

I just went through a bunch of places looking for dash bulb sockets. I found this part at Rock Auto.com AIRTEX Part # 6S1037
You want the 5/8 inch one, not the 1/2 inch one.

For dash bulb sockets the GMCs used the same bulb sockets as
1958 Cadillac Series 62 with 6.0L V8
1960-65 Chevrolet Impala with 4.1L L6
1963 Buick Special with 3.2L V6
1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass with 6.6L V8
1969 Chevrolet Corvette with 7.0L V8
1969 Chevrolet Nova with 3.8L L6
1969 Pontiac Firebird with 4.1L L6
1971 Buick Centurion with 7.5L V8
1974 Chevrolet C10 with 7.4L V8
1974 Chevrolet El Camino with 5.7L V8
1977 Chevrolet K20 Suburban with 6.6L V8
1977 Pontiac Grand Prix with 6.6L V8
1983 Chevrolet K5 Blazer with 5.0L V8
1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88
1984 Chevrolet S10 with 1.9L L4
1987 Chevrolet P30 with 4.8L 292 L6

Some of the OEM part numbers that are interchangable are 249679, 2973932, 3509575, 356, 5655006.

Hopefully thats enough info for us to find them somewhere else if rockauto stops selling that part.

Vernski
April 8th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hi if you are replacing your turn signal switch and can't find one to fit a 63-66 GMC a 63 chevy one will fit it has the same bolt pattern. Here is a link http://www.bobschevytrucks.com/1963-impalaturn-signal-switch-fullsize-cars-without-tilt.html give that a look...Vernski:D

Here is the same one cheaper
http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Category_ID=4&Product_ID=2129&Sub_Category_ID=77

Vernski
April 8th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Another problem that is like the turn signal switch is the dash knobs, I ordered some from Brothers trucks and what did you know they sent me the wrong ones instead of a 65 GMC knob they sent one for a 65 Chevy. The GMC is the large knob, the Chevy is the small knob. It appears that the 63 Chevy is the large knob and the 4-5-6 Chevy is the small knob. Every parts place thinks that Chevy parts is the same as GMC in this case 60-63 chevy is but not a 4-5-6-chevy. Little things I grant you, but important if you order from a ignorant parts house...Vernski;)

donrm
April 9th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Thought I would let other members about a parts house in Dayton Ohio.
They deal in Chevy parts, but I bought a lot of parts for my GMC that will interchange. The web site is www.chevroletrestorationworld.com I found their prices to be a bit better than some of their competition. They have tons of chevy car parts. Don Maurath Cincinnati Ohio 1966 GMC

Andice
July 1st, 2013, 09:13 PM
Vernski: Same bolt pattern is one thing but fitting properly is a whole different enchilada. The Chevy turn signal switch requires a LOT of Dremel tool work. Even then it is not the best option. Much easier (in the opinion of this '64 GMC owner) to use an earlier Chev truck column if your '64-66 GMC turn signal switch is not usable.

Vernski
July 1st, 2013, 11:42 PM
Vernski: Same bolt pattern is one thing but fitting properly is a whole different enchilada. The Chevy turn signal switch requires a LOT of Dremel tool work. Even then it is not the best option. Much easier (in the opinion of this '64 GMC owner) to use an earlier Chev truck column if your '64-66 GMC turn signal switch is not usable.

I had a hard time finding one that will work, a 63 chevy cup has the same bolt pattern as the 65 GMC the problem is that the parts places keep sending a signal switch for a 65 chevy, well that won't fit the GMC cup. I just changed the cup off of a 65 chevy and then the switch the parts geek sent fit without any problems on my column, set it on turned it a quarter turn to line up the screw hole to mount it solid and make sure the signal stem was in the correct spot.
That worked on my 65 but it may be different for a 64 I just don't know and that's my story. GMC did some wacky stuff in parts fitment over the years so good luck I used the 65 GMC column it came with, BTW the 63 chevy won't work because the color coed is off also, sorry if I mislead anyone..Vernski:goodluck:

GMCDAC
July 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
Here is another question about parts that may interchange. I have a radio delete plate from a 1964 Chevy pickup. Does the same one fit GMC also?
I tried to post a pic but got an error message.

Later---DAC

Vernski
July 3rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Here is another question about parts that may interchange. I have a radio delete plate from a 1964 Chevy pickup. Does the same one fit GMC also?
I tried to post a pic but got an error message.

Later---DAC

I think they are the same but don't quote me..Vernski:lolflag:

GMCDAC
July 4th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I think they are the same but don't quote me..Vernski:lolflag:

Thanks for the reply Vernski! I tried to load a pic again today, but still got the "Database Error" message. I know my pics are much smaller than the 8 MB limit.

Anyway, I know that Chevy and GMC had different radio delete plates in the late 1950's, and thought they may still be different for this era.

Later---DAC

donrm
July 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I have a question about door glass. I have a 1966 & need a left door glass. I had someone tell me only 64-66 will interchange.Is this so ? I do not know but don't want to buy the wrong window. Thanks Donrm 1966 GMC 351E Cinti. Ohio

Jeannie
July 4th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the reply Vernski! I tried to load a pic again today, but still got the "Database Error" message. I know my pics are much smaller than the 8 MB limit.

Anyway, I know that Chevy and GMC had different radio delete plates in the late 1950's, and thought they may still be different for this era.

Later---DAC

DAC,

This should be fixed now. If you find you still cannot upload pictures please PM me.

Vernski
July 4th, 2013, 04:16 AM
I have a question about door glass. I have a 1966 & need a left door glass. I had someone tell me only 64-66 will interchange.Is this so ? I do not know but don't want to buy the wrong window. Thanks Donrm 1966 GMC 351E Cinti. Ohio

Again I think 4-5-6 in GMC and Chevy are the same, allot of the door parts have the same part # I don't see why the glass wouldn't be the same also but, don't quote me GMC has done some crazy stuff so I wouldn't chisel that in stone. Just when you think you got em' figured out they sucker punch ya'..Vernski:crazy:

GMCDAC
July 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM
DAC,

This should be fixed now. If you find you still cannot upload pictures please PM me.

Thank-you Jeannie! it did work this time!

Does anyone know if a GMC radio delete plate looks like this one from a 1964 Chevy C-10? Also would it be the same from 1960-1966?

Later---DAC

donrm
July 4th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the reply about the door glass. donrm

Rockdriller
October 7th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Thank-you Jeannie! it did work this time!

Does anyone know if a GMC radio delete plate looks like this one from a 1964 Chevy C-10? Also would it be the same from 1960-1966?

Later---DAC

DAC...
It appears that this is an old post.....but I can't see where any of us got back to you.
The GMC Radio Delete Plate is unique to GMC....It is the same size and will fit, however the GMC plate has a louvered appearance...with seven or eight horizontal lines stamped into it.

I haven't any pic's....maybe someone does.

Ed Snyder
October 8th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the earlier trucks in our series (60 to 63 maybe?) had the louvered type of radio delete plate Rockdriller is describing, and the later ones (64 to 66?) had the plain type like DAC's photo.

Funky61
October 8th, 2013, 10:32 PM
The one in my 61 had a louvered style. Here is a pic

GMCDAC
October 10th, 2013, 03:45 AM
DAC...
It appears that this is an old post.....but I can't see where any of us got back to you.
The GMC Radio Delete Plate is unique to GMC....It is the same size and will fit, however the GMC plate has a louvered appearance...with seven or eight horizontal lines stamped into it.

I haven't any pic's....maybe someone does.

Thank-you for bringing this back up Rockdriller. We have been cleaning up from a blizzard last weekend and haven't gotten on until now. I appreciate the description!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the earlier trucks in our series (60 to 63 maybe?) had the louvered type of radio delete plate Rockdriller is describing, and the later ones (64 to 66?) had the plain type like DAC's photo.

Thanks, that would be interesting to know if '64 went with the flat one.

The one in my 61 had a louvered style. Here is a pic

That pic shows it real well! Thanks for the pic!

Hopefully some info may come in if GMC ever went to a flat one in 64 or later.
My deal is, if it is Chevy only I wil probably sell it, but if it may be correct for a GMC also I will probably hoard it with other GMC parts!

Later---DAC

1969_CM2590D
January 10th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Here's a few historical things I keep in mind as far as interchangeability. not specific, but it can tell me if there's any chance of interchange when I look at something. It's some corporate history I use as a guide and has worked pretty well so far at the parts house and junkyard

Pretty much until around 1960 each division made substantially independent, individual cars. Most all departments were entirely independent in purchasing, production, styling, and engineering- therefore many parts differences.

1930's- GM introduced the letter bodies-"A", "B" "C", etc. to be shared among divisions. Even with that there are differences in exterior sheet metal and structure.

Late 1950's- Corporate tells the divisions to design their 1959 cars around the 1959 Buick LeSabre doors, due to tooling costs. Look at some photos, follow that fin line carefully, you'll see it...

1960-61- The real beginning of serious sharing. The Z-body Corvair and Y-body Tempest/F-85/Special share a lot more than you think. Of course the Corvair was unique being rear engine and air-cooled, but the Tempest rear transaxle came from the 'Vair- turned around and recased. Lots of body structure shared- my Corvair station wagon shares probably 3/4 of it's body with the B-O-P compacts. You can see quickly it has the same roof stamping and doors as the Tempest/F-85/Special wagons- nonetheless it has a different A-pillar. The engine compartment in the Corvair became the spare well in the B-O-P cars.

As models were redesigned in the '60's, the bean counters aggressively purused synergies. Production was consolidated as well with different makes, but same "_-body" vehicles made in the same plant.

The age of badge/grill engineering was fully established with the 1977 full size B/C body downsizing. After this this you'll find plenty of interchange as GM hunted savings in purchasing, inventory, and manufacturing- following the "Chevymobile" controversy, GM reduced it's engine types as well. By the 90's there was no real difference in comparable GM cars- only superficial stuff that met the eye.

So, with all that said,. the older the vehicle, the less it will share other comparable GM vehicles... :)

jbgroby
January 15th, 2014, 04:59 AM

A better picture

Ed Snyder
January 15th, 2014, 12:12 PM
And here's a photo of the '66 I restored which is now owned by Clyde in SC. It shows the plain style like in DAC's photo.

This is the truck in my avatar photo by the way -- taken several years ago in front of my house.