PDA

View Full Version : 1964 3/4 ton - finally home!

GMCNUT
April 8th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Well, while I was away at the Charlotte Motor Fest swap meet in Charlotte NC this past week, my 1964 3/4 ton GMC finally made it home. I had it delivered by a driver through U-Ship.com. It is a very cool truck - its had 3 Southwestern Kansas owners - 1st owner bought it new in Ulysses Kansas in 1964 w/ a factory or Dealer installed camper on it, and in 1967 he sold it back to the original GMC dealer salesman who sold it to him. The salesman wanted it for fishing trips and camping too, and he used it for exactly that from 1967-2009. During these first years the truck was only driven 54,000 miles or so. In 2009 a man who has been on this forum (Alan Stephenson) bought it, and drove it around another 30K or so and it now has 86,000 on the 305 V6. Alan actually tried to sell the truck to the 6066 members in 2010 or 2011, but no takers. Boy am I glad. This truck was so well kept and preserved it has 100% of its factory Terrace Blue and White two-tone paint, no dents ever, and is as clean and rust free as you will ever see. To top it off it is very well optioned - 305E w/ SM420, factory Powerlock positraction 4:11 Dana, factory Power steering, Power Brakes, deluxe heater, custom equipment, chrome bumpers and guards, hazard switch, dual gas tanks, dual horns and dealer installed A/C. Alan removed the camper in 2009 when he got it, and the original GMC salesman went into his barn loft and retrieved the NOS pull-off tailgate, trunions, and chains he had saved for all these years. So the tailgate is of course in mint shape w/ un-rusted chains and has only been on the truck for 5 years of the trucks life. Since it was protected by the camper all its life the inside of the bed is perfect - dent free and rust free w/ some of the original Black paint still on the wood floor. Paint on the top of the cab is like new because the camper's overhang covered it. I got back Saturday and it was waiting for me in my friends' driveway - he said I would be shocked at how nice it cranks and drives, and boy was he ever right. I would not hesitate to drive this truck to California from Alabama in a heartbeat. I drove this thing all over the county the past two days and it is simply incredible. I did learn it is a gas hog - some of you mentioned driving 305E V6's will make you go bankrupt paying for gas....you are right. in less than two days and driving no real distance I drove out 3/4 of the 22 gallons I just put in the main tank. I will take some pics tomorrow and share more on this cool "barn find" with you guys.....

jbgroby
April 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
PLease post pictures.

GMCNUT
April 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Absolutely - was going to snap some yesterday but will definitely do it today....

donrm
April 9th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Yes the GMC V6 big blocks love gas. My Dad bought my 1966 GMC in 1969. It had a camper on it,most of the time we towed a boat with it most times also.
It has the 351E motor. The 10 MPG drove my Dad nuts, not to mention he was tighter than my hatband. He did any & everything he could to improve MPG. Of course, nothing improved 10 MPG. He used to keep a ledger of MPG. I bought the truck from him in 1985. With the camper, a 2k lb trailer with my race car,still 10 MPG. Not a gas saver,just a super torque monster.Not fast by no means. GMC built a great truck. Mine is an 8' fleetside. Just my experience.
Don Maurath 1966 gmc cinti oh

Clarke
April 9th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Congrats!!!

Funky61
April 9th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Congratulations and waiting for more photos!

GMCNUT
April 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
OK - here are the first 5 shots - will post more posts to get all the pics to show up on here. I drove this truck almost 200 miles yesterday and it performed flawlessly minus the ridiculous fuel consumption. Whew! she can dang sure drink some gas....might have to change the 4:11's to 3:54 or something to try and help gas economy....anyone thing that would make any serious difference?

GMCNUT
April 9th, 2013, 06:36 PM
a few more

GMCNUT
April 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM
look how rust free and clean underneath - only a light film of dusty dirt under the truck - all clips, bolts etc are still silver cad and not rusty....amazing to Alabama eyes

GMCNUT
April 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Here's the last couple shots - I am not going to remove this cool Oldsmobile hood rocket even though its not correct for a GMC - if an Oldsmobile guy ever sees it he will flip - its unpitted and nearly NOS!
These are the original 3/4 ton hubcaps that came with this truck - they were removed in 1967 which is why they are so close to NOS today. The 3rd pic is the newly powdercoated optional 17" factory split rims - waiting for the tires to arrive from Coker so I can install these awesome hubcaps....its gonna look so good this Summer with the correct wheels, tires and hubcaps on it!

Funky61
April 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
That's amazing condition and the tailgate is perfect; 3/4 hubcaps too! Great history, Congratulations!

Clarke
April 10th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Quote: might have to change the 4:11's to 3:54 or something to try and help gas economy....anyone thing that would make any serious difference?

Thanks for sharing the pictures... F.Y.I. I had 4.56 rear end in my '62 3/4 ton and last year I changed to 3.54, mainly to reduce the R's on the highway. Barry (on this forum) was a great help with providing a Power-Lok since I had to change the carrier and an adapter for correcting my speedo after the gear swap.

For several years I was averaging around 9 miles/gal. After the gear swap, I'm consistently getting 11.3 miles/gal. I didn't make any other changes, and driving conditions/speed the same.

FetchMeAPepsi
April 10th, 2013, 06:55 PM
SuhhWEET! She's even got a sidebox in the bed! Awesome looking truck. Ya did good!

GMCNUT
April 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the comments everybody - I have had a few non-running 6066 GMC's and oddly never have really got to drive and enjoy a GMC V6 before now. I am hooked. This engine produces very good power for a light duty truck and I cannot wait to pull a loaded 18 ft trailer with it soon and see how well she handles the strain....

Funky61
April 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
GMCNUT,

Question; where does the secondary fuel tank fill from and what is the capacity?

raycow
April 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I drove this truck almost 200 miles yesterday and it performed flawlessly minus the ridiculous fuel consumption. Whew! she can dang sure drink some gas....might have to change the 4:11's to 3:54 or something to try and help gas economy....anyone thing that would make any serious difference?

I wouldn't try to talk you out of a rear axle swap, if that's what you really want. However, you might want to consider a manual overdrive transmission before you commit.

IMO, the O/D gives you more flexibility in addition to improved fuel mileage and less engine noise. You get to keep your original axle ratio for when you need it to tow a trailer or climb hills. Then you still have the option of the taller O/D gear for use when you are running light. Also, installing the O/D tranny can be less work/expense than a rear end swap, especially if you have to set up new gears in your present axle housing or pay someone else to set them up.

I replaced the factory SM420 in my "non-GMC" pickup with a T-5 and have been more than pleased with the results. My truck is not a show queen. It gets used as a truck, and used hard when the situation requires it. The T-5 has been in the truck for almost 10 years now and has never given me any trouble.

Ray

BarryGMC
April 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Hi Group. Its been a while. The ticker is out of time again. Lots of fun with that. I share a cardiologist with my 87 year old grandad and he came to mine, not me to his. Well Steve, First with the neat survivor truck. IMO DO NOT PUT A T-5 in a 3/4 ton truck, unless you want to use it as a car. IT WILL DIE when used in a vehicle with a gvw over 5000#. Jeep used it in the 80,s in cj-7's behind the GM iron duke 4 cylinder And I saw lots blow apart. The reality is they are car trannies that have no business in 3/4 ton trucks or any 4x4. Second the 3.54 swap works well with the low rpm v6 in a 3/4 ton and a 420 trans. I have found it to be a good compromise. The dana 60 rear 4.10 to 3.54 swap does not require a carrier change so you can keep your powerlok. Check with a 4x4 shop in your area most of them take out the high gears and swap in low gears. They may just charge you the labor and incidental cost involved. Finally I have never spent more than a ben Franklin on this swap, I find good used Ring and pinions, mostly in dodge vans. A few things like a seal and oil and a hour or so setting it up. and a ratio adjuster. Done!!

jbgroby
April 12th, 2013, 01:33 PM
That is in great shape. Congrats

Clarke
April 13th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Hi Group. Its been a while.

Barry, I'm glad to see you back!

tommyduncan
August 14th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Nice truck! The GMC 2 tone is growing on me.

Can you post some pics of the factory a/c? Under hood and how the dash looks...

Rick
August 17th, 2013, 12:15 AM
OK,

Yes these trucks do not get great gas mileage. However lets compare them to other trucks of their vintage. I owned a 1968 Ford 1/2 ton pickup with a 360 4 speed. It got a consistent 11.5 mpg. Loaded, unloaded, driven hard or easy, same mileage. I also owned a 1969 chev 1/2 ton with a 292 "6". It got a consistant 12mpg, no matter how it was driven. So 10-12 mpg is what is expected from trucks of this era. Now, re-gear your truck with higher gears, as I have done and presto you can easily get 15-18 mpg on a regular basis.

tommyduncan
August 17th, 2013, 12:43 AM
OK,

Yes these trucks do not get great gas mileage. However lets compare them to other trucks of their vintage. I owned a 1968 Ford 1/2 ton pickup with a 360 4 speed. It got a consistent 11.5 mpg. Loaded, unloaded, driven hard or easy, same mileage. I also owned a 1969 chev 1/2 ton with a 292 "6". It got a consistant 12mpg, no matter how it was driven. So 10-12 mpg is what is expected from trucks of this era. Now, re-gear your truck with higher gears, as I have done and presto you can easily get 15-18 mpg on a regular basis.
I had a 68 Jeepster with the odd fire 225 V6 and TH400. With 31" tires it only got 11-13.