PDA

View Full Version : Carb swap or rebuild kit 305 v6??

824slugger
April 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hoping to get some help finding a rebuild kit or a replacement carb for my 61 305 v6. Carb info on it now is Holley 6R 894 B. I can't seem to locate a replacement or a way to switch to a different carb anywhere. HELP!

bigblockv6
April 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
There are adapters that will fit your manifold that will allow you to use a 2bbl carb but there's only so much fuel that you can squeeze through a small opening. The best bet is to upgrade to a 2bbl manifold and from there you can your choice of a Stromberg WW 2bbl, Rochester 2bbl or a Holley 500 with the correct adapter, overall you will have better performance. GMC did offer 1 and 2bbl carburetors on 305 V6 pickup engines in 1961.

BarryGMC
April 21st, 2013, 11:44 PM
If you want to get it up and running because of carb issues the # you are using wont really help the parts guy much. You need the # on the triangular ID tag, or tell them you need a kit for the Holley 1904. This carb was used on various Internationals from the 50's to 70's and chrysler slant 6's from 60 to about 70. I rebuild one of these carbs every year or so and always find the kits in stock at my local Motion auto parts store or Napa. This little carb is simple to fix and tune. I also agree that the later manifold and 2 barrel carb is an upgrade in performance, but I have both and really dont think its all that big of an improvement.

824slugger
April 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks. Not looking for a performance upgrade just was wondering about the existing one really. I am glad to here about the rebuild kit. Thanks again.