PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild Stalled - Need Valves - HELP!

BossChevy62
April 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Hello everyone, I am rebuilding my 305 and I am stalled out because the machine shop says I need new intake valves. Apparently my valves have had one too many valve jobs done, and they are running out of material on the valve head. My truck has been sitting for 3 months while I and the machine shop have been looking for valves with no luck. If anyone has a set they can sell me, or knows of a good part number I would greatly appreciate it. These valves are the last piece of the puzzle for my complete rebuild. I would be willing to accept used valves as long as they are in good usable condition.

raycow
April 24th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Kanter lists intake valves for the 305. Have you checked to see if they have them in stock?
http://www.kanter.com/truck/trgmcn.html

Ray

BossChevy62
April 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Yes, I tried Kanter first, unfortunately they do not have any in stock, and their vendors do not have access to any either, it is a dead part number with no known sources.

raycow
April 24th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Ok, now it looks like time for Plan B:

It might be easier to substitute a valve made for a different engine. Back when I worked in the parts business I did this a few times on my own projects with entirely satisfactory results.

Obviously critical dimensions are head diameter, stem diameter, overall length, and (sometimes) face angle. You can grind down a valve head that is slightly oversize or off by a degree or two. Keeper grooves can sometimes be a worse problem. You can often substitute a valve with the "wrong" grooves as long as you can get the keepers and retainer that belong to the valve you are using. Normally, an exhaust valve can be used to replace an intake, but not necessarily the reverse.

Start here, and happy hunting!
http://www.mellingengine.com/Portals/5/Valve%20Progressive%20ID%20Chart%20291-293.pdf

Ray

BossChevy62
April 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Ray, good post, but I tried that too, the only valves long enough are the wrong stem diameter, and turning the stem down doesn't sound like a cost effective solution. One of our members in Spokane is checking his spare parts for good valves for me, lets all cross our fingers for him/me.

bigblockv6
April 25th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I may have a complete set of new intake & exhaust valves for the 305 V6 that I can sell you. I have no need to hang to them since my interest is in larger 379 through 478 V6 engines as well as 351E & M engines. Pete Chronis Northern Cal. 68 KM-2500 478M V6.

BossChevy62
April 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Pete, if you have a complete set of valves, I am interested in purchasing them, since this current 305 probably won't be my last, and it will be nice to have more than I need. Check your stock and let me know what you want for them. Thanks.

BossChevy62
June 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Update: I got 4 valves from Peter Chronis(Thank you Peter), but I am still in need of 2 intake valves. My truck is sitting in the shop collecting dust until I can get those last 2 intake valves, so if there is anyone who can help me out I will be grateful.

sclor
June 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Set of rebuilt 305 heads of Ebay for $100 with no bids. Only problem looks to be shipping. Seller shows $160 for the shipping from Colorado. See listing here (obviously not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-67-GMC-305-Big-Block-V6-Heads-2367298-REBUILT-/140993625665?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item20d3dffe41&vxp=mtr

Regards,
Steve
New Orleans