PDA

View Full Version : LED lights that fit the dash - Brighter indicators

FetchMeAPepsi
May 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got those LEDs installed in the dash. Theyre a heck of a lot brighter than stock and they really look nice. They're 1.39 each so they're dirt cheap too.

Link:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/

Color: Cool white
Spread: 90 Degrees

I'll post some pics of before/after today.

phelan
May 19th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Oh wow. Adding to "the list". Thanks!!!

Funky61
March 13th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks Kieth and FetchMeaPepsi; look forward to some nighttime photos!

aphaynes
March 27th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Pics?
:poke:

FetchMeAPepsi
March 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I never did take any night pics. By the time nighttime falls I'm elbow deep in making dinner and feeding the beasties. I'll try to remember Saturday night. Too dang cold today (54 deg)! BRRR!

GMCDAC
March 29th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I never did take any night pics. By the time nighttime falls I'm elbow deep in making dinner and feeding the beasties. I'll try to remember Saturday night. Too dang cold today (54 deg)! BRRR!

I wish it would get up to 54*!!! I'd like to see night pics too, I have a couple GMC's that use those bulbs!

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi
March 31st, 2014, 04:53 AM
Well guys Cecilia wasn't cooperating with me today. I turned her lights on and only one bulb lit up. Probably a grounding issue. I'll add dash repair to my to-do list. Sorry fellas! :bricks:

aphaynes
March 31st, 2014, 01:22 PM
Well guys Cecilia wasn't cooperating with me today. I turned her lights on and only one bulb lit up. Probably a grounding issue. I'll add dash repair to my to-do list. Sorry fellas! :bricks:

:ohmygosh:
:D

Vernski
April 1st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hey Pepsi will those wedge base bulbs actualy fit and work? And I thought I've seen everything I'll have to get some...Vernski:tiphat:

FetchMeAPepsi
April 2nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
Hey Pepsi will those wedge base bulbs actualy fit and work? And I thought I've seen everything I'll have to get some...Vernski:tiphat:

They sure do fit! They should last 50k hours too and they're quite a bit brighter. I prefer them over the old standard bulbs that always seem to burn out.

kknotts
November 11th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Did you ever get your dash to light up for night time pics?

Andice
November 11th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Not trying to jump in - but I installed them and I was not impressed. Too white and not really much brighter if that makes sense. However, I was pleased with how the brightened up my idiot lights and turn signal indicator.

aphaynes
November 11th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Mine came out whiter and much brighter than the bulbs that were in there. I like it, but different strokes for different folks. :) I'll try to get a pic if Fetch doesn't beat me to it.

aphaynes
December 9th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Here's how they look in my truck.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8631/15795890978_f6a07a00e3.jpg

and here they are with the High beam and Turn Signal Indicator. With a cell phone, the light washes out the letters on the indicators, but they actually look quite good in real life. :)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7566/15795891598_4f7aacebb0.jpg

Now these are with the dimmer turned to full brightness. Also, when I refaced my speedo, I noticed the speedo face had some flex as far as tilting it goes. so I tilted it back some at the top to allow more light in. If you did not want it so bright, you could tilt it forward to close the gap between the face and bezel or just use the dimmer switch. I just like my gauges bright.

Andice
December 10th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Aphaynes: They look better in your dash than they do in mine! I will try to tweak my speedo plate as well as the temp and fuel gauge to allow more light in like you did. Maybe I should bite the bullet and reface my instruments. I do think the LEDs really wake up the indicator and idiot lights. Thanks for posting the images.

bigblockv6
December 10th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Where do you get these LED lights?

aphaynes
December 10th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Where do you get these LED lights?

Fetch posted the link at the beginning of this thread.

kknotts
December 11th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the pics. Already have my bulbs to install when I rebuild my truck.

FetchMeAPepsi
December 15th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I Plumb forgot about this thread! For some reason I wasnt getting the notifications. Thanks for picking up my slack, Aphaynes. Your dash looks great! You can see the future with those new LEDs :lolsmack:

rusty66
December 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM
What is the best way to change out these lights in the dash?

FetchMeAPepsi
December 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
If I remember right:

1 Take the four screws off the face of the gauge carefully. They like to strip out.

2 Reach way behind from the floor and pop off the speedometer cable from the back of the gauge.

3. Pull on the gauge cluster and work it loose so it wiggles in the dash.

4. Work your fingers behind it and pop loose the wire plug that runs into the gauge.

5. Pull the gauge cluster out.

6. See all those little black twisty knobs? Turn them about 1/4 turn and pull them out.

Inside them is a bulb. Just pull the old one out and push a new one in. Lather, Rinse, Repeat! :goodluck: